HOW LONG AND WHAT GAME?

Last response: in Video Games
September 21, 2005 8:41:15 AM

i took extra notice last night that i have a couple of games that i
havn't played once since i have purchased them. this is due to the fact
that i like to shop my games out fresh before i bust into them
play-wise. well, sometimes anyway ;-)

the game that has sat the longest from the time i have owned it is
jack-bot. i picked this game up the summer of 2003? and have yet to
play a complete game on it. almost 2 1/2 years! yikes! it was a early
version and needed some other attention.(namely a shop job) well, since
i shopped it from head to toe, i have yet to tweak it out and make sure
the eye saucers stick since protos had issues.

i guess work, other hobbies, other games, buying other new games all
trumped this game getting it's first REAL plays. well, that is my
excuse why i have not played this game for over 2+ years and i am
sticking to it ;-)

anyone have a good reason why a game you acquired may just be sitting
around collecting dust? are we punishing these games for a GOOD reason?
:-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

More about : long game

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:55:17 AM

Can I "borrow" it in Cleveland for 2 1/2 years?

...... I promise I will play it :)
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 10:34:29 AM

Years/Funhouse, White Water, IJ, and STtNG.

Reason? They are: Funhouse, White Water, IJ, and STtNG.
:)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
===============================

Koz Pinlicious wrote:

> anyone have a good reason why a game you acquired may just be sitting
> around collecting dust? are we punishing these games for a GOOD reason?
> :-)

September 21, 2005 10:50:51 AM

No.. if I buy it (and it's a working game) then I play it..
to see how it plays, see if everything's working, and so on.
That's at least for a few days.
Then asap I'll shop it.

The longest I had a working game that I didn't play/repair was my
whitewater which sat in the gameroom with a 'broken' sign on it for a
year.
It needs to be shopped and as I have parted a WW 2 years ago I have all
ramps double, so I really want to make time to shop it well and a very
nice one of it.. already ordered green targets 3 years ago and so on..
just never have time to start working on it.
Last year then something broke and I thought I'd wait until I shop the
game, which would be any time then..
A full year passed and I didn't have time to start shopping it !
Only because we had guests and I knew some people wanted to play on the
game I quickly fixed it (was a 10 minute fix in the end, much less then
I thought it would be :)
And since it works I play it often.. still looking at the wrong targets
and broken/missing mountains and thinking I really have to start to
shop it....
But as winter is coming and I'm becoming a father in december, I guess
it'll be a while before I'll start to shop it.

Aeneas.
-- http://www.flippers.be
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 12:20:45 PM

> anyone have a good reason why a game you acquired may just be sitting
> around collecting dust? are we punishing these games for a GOOD reason?
> :-)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

NO... every game that I have had or still have; I play as much as I want;
until it's broke or I sell it. Some sit in the workshop for 1+ years before
I get them working, so I can play them. Is that a good reason?
- Woodsy
September 21, 2005 12:24:46 PM

funny, i know a guy whos entire collection sits un played, not working,
and ready for restoration. it kills me

rd
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:19:27 PM

I also play a game for a few days before shopping it. For many reasons
really. One is to start getting a list together of what's wrong with
it. another is I'm really excited to have it and I want to play it.
Sometimes I get to shopping it quickly, sometimes not.

More often than not though I usually part a machine up to 100%
functional and then break it down, and clean. This is the state that my
TZ is currently at; I have the machine (save the reinforced slot
machine scoop, don't want to dirty that up, saving install for after
shopping) working at 100%. I am going to tear it apart soon and start
cleaning. As far as shopping, Sometimes it's just not required. My
Demo Man was in such great shape, I didn't really feel it was required,
I cleaned it a bit, and rebuilt the flippers and changed every rubber,
but that's about it. it really didn't need anything else.

Haunted house had exactly 3 games on it before I tore it apart, and
it's still not *quite* working right, though it's clean and shiny. My
recent Black Hole purchase, is so far going the TZ route, but I don't
suspect that it's a hard machine to shop out, I suspect it's most
likely a 4 hour job at worst. (not counting screw tumbling time, just
teardown and rebuild.)

Usually this happens as I need to aquire parts, and while I am waiting
for the parts to come in, I play it, notice more things wrong make
another order, 1st order comes in, install what's practical and prudent
considering I haven't shopped it yet, play while waiting for 2nd order,
lather rinse repeat.

I need to get another shinemaster kit, because the HH tore up my last
one to the point where I don't have any of the pads anymore. Then, I
start on the TZ. :)
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 1:43:24 PM

sometimes you aquire them faster than you can actually get to each one
at a time to make it 100% for a player-
i have had a dragons lair (vid....off topic....sorry) for 5 years i
still have not had time to touch, same goes for haunted house x 2 and a
bunch o' others.
the time it takes to really make the games sweet and 100% is lengthy if
you want it done right like most of us:) .
just do a little at a time and you will be alright:)
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:15:22 PM

Normally I buy a game for my collection and then play it cause I'm so
happy to own it. Even if the game isn't shopped out I'll play it
becuase I am making a mental list of everything that is wrong with it
that I need to address.

The exception to this was my Getaway game as I aquired a fully populated
playfield and a beat to death donor game. Both sat for 5 months in
storage at a very gracious friend's house until I could start working on
them. It took a second friend to help with the cabinet to get it moving
along again at a faster than snails pace.

So all in all the game sat in peices being cleaned, rebuilt, and
everything else that happened for 13 months before it was first turned
on. At that point a tranistor blew with a nice bright explosion. An
hour later a loaner board was in and the game was playable.

Why did I do that? The two games I had earlier needed a good shop job
to go from a beat to death state to a near perfect state. I wanted to
at least once try to game a game where parting out was the best option
and bring it back to life. Now that I've done it once I will probably
never do it again.

-wolffy

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> i took extra notice last night that i have a couple of games that i
> havn't played once since i have purchased them. this is due to the fact
> that i like to shop my games out fresh before i bust into them
> play-wise. well, sometimes anyway ;-)
>
> the game that has sat the longest from the time i have owned it is
> jack-bot. i picked this game up the summer of 2003? and have yet to
> play a complete game on it. almost 2 1/2 years! yikes! it was a early
> version and needed some other attention.(namely a shop job) well, since
> i shopped it from head to toe, i have yet to tweak it out and make sure
> the eye saucers stick since protos had issues.
>
> i guess work, other hobbies, other games, buying other new games all
> trumped this game getting it's first REAL plays. well, that is my
> excuse why i have not played this game for over 2+ years and i am
> sticking to it ;-)
>
> anyone have a good reason why a game you acquired may just be sitting
> around collecting dust? are we punishing these games for a GOOD reason?
> :-)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 2:56:54 PM

That sort of project is fun, and in a way fulfilling, but it often ends
up costing more to go through such a project than it does to just buy a
nice, shopped game!

When buying games in the past, I almost exclusively searched for
projects to save $$, and it took me a couple years to learn that (OK, I
*still* haven't completely learned) it costs more and takes more time in
the long run.

And when you have as many projects lined up as I do, there's never
enough time :(  But, you can learn a ton doing that at least once!

-

http://www.myhomegameroom.com

Wolffy wrote:
> Normally I buy a game for my collection and then play it cause I'm so
> happy to own it. Even if the game isn't shopped out I'll play it
> becuase I am making a mental list of everything that is wrong with it
> that I need to address.
>
> The exception to this was my Getaway game as I aquired a fully populated
> playfield and a beat to death donor game. Both sat for 5 months in
> storage at a very gracious friend's house until I could start working on
> them. It took a second friend to help with the cabinet to get it moving
> along again at a faster than snails pace.
>
> So all in all the game sat in peices being cleaned, rebuilt, and
> everything else that happened for 13 months before it was first turned
> on. At that point a tranistor blew with a nice bright explosion. An
> hour later a loaner board was in and the game was playable.
>
> Why did I do that? The two games I had earlier needed a good shop job
> to go from a beat to death state to a near perfect state. I wanted to
> at least once try to game a game where parting out was the best option
> and bring it back to life. Now that I've done it once I will probably
> never do it again.
>
> -wolffy
>

> Koz Pinlicious wrote:
>
>> i took extra notice last night that i have a couple of games that i
>> havn't played once since i have purchased them. this is due to the fact
>> that i like to shop my games out fresh before i bust into them
>> play-wise. well, sometimes anyway ;-)
>>
>> the game that has sat the longest from the time i have owned it is
>> jack-bot. i picked this game up the summer of 2003? and have yet to
>> play a complete game on it. almost 2 1/2 years! yikes! it was a early
>> version and needed some other attention.(namely a shop job) well, since
>> i shopped it from head to toe, i have yet to tweak it out and make sure
>> the eye saucers stick since protos had issues.
>>
>> i guess work, other hobbies, other games, buying other new games all
>> trumped this game getting it's first REAL plays. well, that is my
>> excuse why i have not played this game for over 2+ years and i am
>> sticking to it ;-)
>>
>> anyone have a good reason why a game you acquired may just be sitting
>> around collecting dust? are we punishing these games for a GOOD reason?
>> :-)
>>
>> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Anonymous
September 21, 2005 3:58:23 PM

> When buying games in the past, I almost exclusively searched for
> projects to save $$, and it took me a couple years to learn that (OK, I
> *still* haven't completely learned) it costs more and takes more time in
> the long run.

- Exactly. ALL of my games are down waiting for time to repair I don't
have. Even the BH I bought thinking it would be plug-and-play ready
now sits. My Fathom hasn't been together for almost 4 years, even
though I have all the new repro parts sitting right there.

- Q
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:30:56 AM

Banzai Run over a year ago. no good reason other than I too like to
shop the games I get. just haven't had time.

Doctor Who also bought over a year ago. a game that was working and
that I wanted to shop first. been sitting there with the playfield
completely stripped down and shiny as can be for months now. just
waiting for me to reassemble it.

Circus - bought it two years ago and it's just standing on end. maybe
not a fun game, but it works. too bad I haven't played it since I
tried it at the guy's house.

Grand Lizard bought 6 years ago. needed a mother board I bought almost
two years ago, but still just sitting there.

Bought a HUO CV about 2 years ago and haven't played it since right
after I bought it. it's even set up ready to go. just haven't played
it for some reason.

I think the problem is that I go in spurts. right now I'm on an older
late 70s/early 80s kick and am spending my time shopping those games
and actually playing the ones I've fixed. games like Joker Poker,
Flash, Black Knight, Joust, Eight Ball Deluxe, and Eight Ball. play
them every week and still haven't got tired of them.

Just added Gorgar (works fine, doesn't need anything) and Paragon to
the mix but don't have a place to set them up. plan to put some of my
newer games on end such as TOTAN and Whitewater so I can set up these
old guys. have 18 games set up to play but keep going back to the old
guys. heck, I haven't even played my MM this year. nor the TZ, AFM,
SS, IJ, and others for awhile. seems a shame, but don't want to part
with them since I'll probably never find nicer ones.

Next job is to finish up another repaired Black Knight I plan to sell
and a Medusa that I was going to shop dating back to last year. needs
the butt end of the game box replaced and just haven't gotten around
to it. too many damn games and not enough time I think.

stevebo

On 21 Sep 2005 04:41:15 -0700, "Koz Pinlicious"
<pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote:

>i took extra notice last night that i have a couple of games that i
>havn't played once since i have purchased them. this is due to the fact
>that i like to shop my games out fresh before i bust into them
>play-wise. well, sometimes anyway ;-)
>
>the game that has sat the longest from the time i have owned it is
>jack-bot. i picked this game up the summer of 2003? and have yet to
>play a complete game on it. almost 2 1/2 years! yikes! it was a early
>version and needed some other attention.(namely a shop job) well, since
>i shopped it from head to toe, i have yet to tweak it out and make sure
>the eye saucers stick since protos had issues.
>
>i guess work, other hobbies, other games, buying other new games all
>trumped this game getting it's first REAL plays. well, that is my
>excuse why i have not played this game for over 2+ years and i am
>sticking to it ;-)
>
>anyone have a good reason why a game you acquired may just be sitting
>around collecting dust? are we punishing these games for a GOOD reason?
>:-)
>
>Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 2:35:19 AM

you have to play it as soon as you buy it so you know what you need to
fix. what things arn't working the greatest and what not. That way
when you shop it out you can address and fix those issues and kill two
birds with one stone. Just my thoughts.
Anonymous
September 22, 2005 12:45:01 PM

I'd say: you all need to donate your pins to someone that can/will
play them ;)
!