Multiple palms (m515 and Tungsten T) on one desktop - prob..

January 11, 2005 8:46:25 AM

My wife originally loaded the palm desktop software for her m515 on our
brand new computer (there should be no problem with our hardware).

I recently wanted to be able to synch my Tungsten T on the computer as
well, so I loaded its desktop software, which is different than her
m515 setup.

Now, we are having synching issues - mostly that she is having
difficulty with her m515 and a third party software called ePocrates.

Can we use these two palms interchangeably in this way? If so, what do
I need to do to repair the damage. If not, what's the best way to
revert to her setup (use a 'system restore' or uninstall palm software
and start over)?

Thanks!
Squanklin
Anonymous
January 11, 2005 9:55:47 AM

Recently Squanklin mentioned this:

> My wife originally loaded the palm desktop software for her m515 on
our
> brand new computer (there should be no problem with our hardware).
>
> I recently wanted to be able to synch my Tungsten T on the computer
as
> well, so I loaded its desktop software, which is different than her
> m515 setup.
>
> Now, we are having synching issues - mostly that she is having
> difficulty with her m515 and a third party software called ePocrates.
>
> Can we use these two palms interchangeably in this way? If so, what
do
> I need to do to repair the damage. If not, what's the best way to
> revert to her setup (use a 'system restore' or uninstall palm
software
> and start over)?

I do know that folks have had issues with syncing two different Palm
models onto the same desktop. I'm not sure how to work around that,
unfortunately.

To get her Palm to sync again, export anything in Palm Desktop that you
want to save, uninstall, and reinstall, then sync *her* Palm. You may
wind up with problems with syncing yours after this.
--
This message is worth at least what you paid for it.
Anonymous

In article <1105451185.717758.147690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
"Squanklin" <squanklin@yahoo.com> wrote:

> My wife originally loaded the palm desktop software for her m515 on our
> brand new computer (there should be no problem with our hardware).
>
> I recently wanted to be able to synch my Tungsten T on the computer as
> well, so I loaded its desktop software, which is different than her
> m515 setup.
>
> Now, we are having synching issues - mostly that she is having
> difficulty with her m515 and a third party software called ePocrates.
>
> Can we use these two palms interchangeably in this way? If so, what do
> I need to do to repair the damage. If not, what's the best way to
> revert to her setup (use a 'system restore' or uninstall palm software
> and start over)?

So did you end up with two different Palm Desktops on the PC? And, if so,
does M515 sync with her desktop and your Tungsten T with your desktop?

Or did your later installation of the Tungsten T desktop wipe out her m515
desktop? If that's the case, her m515 may not be copatible with your newer
T|T desktop.

Also, if there's only one desktop now, are you two syncing to the correct
end user? You may have to select the appropriate User (upper right hand
corner of the desktop software) before you sync.

More details, please.
January 12, 2005 8:40:09 AM

Thanks, Guy.

Yes, the installation of the accompanying T|T desktop superseded my
wife's m515 desktop application (I had hoped to install in a separate
directory with a separate icon, but the Palm software did not provide
that option.). There is one single Palm desktop program on the
computer now - the T|T version.

Again, yes, we are careful to ensure the corresponding user ID on the
desktop software matches with the synching palm.

The primary concern is her inability to synch with a third party
program, which seeks out updates on the Web. But, the ability to synch
standard Palm data also wavers - sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.

Does that help provide any better insight?

Thanks!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:52:00 AM

I've just learned of another person with a similar situation, though I
believe it's with a Tungsten E and either a m515 and a IIIx.
We're very puzzled - thanks for any assistance!
Squanklin
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 10:43:59 PM

Squanklin wrote:

> My wife originally loaded the palm desktop software for her m515 on our
> brand new computer (there should be no problem with our hardware).
>
> I recently wanted to be able to synch my Tungsten T on the computer as
> well, so I loaded its desktop software, which is different than her
> m515 setup.

I sync an m505 and a Tungsten T all the time with the same software.
(On a Mac, but I don't see why it makes a huge difference.)

As far as I know, there is no desktop software that's specific
to either model, although the Tungsten T, being a newer model,
would likely have come with a newer version of the software.

My guess it that the problem is the ePocrates conduit doesn't
work right after the software is upgraded.

Personally, what I would try is removing all traces of ePocrates
from the desktop, then get the latest desktop software directly
from PalmSource.com, install it, then get the latest ePocrates
from their web site and install that.

- Logan
!