TECH: FT Flipper Died

Hello,

I'm a newbie here, and would really appreciate any assistance that any
of you might be able to provide. I just finished shopping out my Fish
Tales. Went to change the flipper coil sleeves, and found that the
right flipper sleeve would not come out. So I replaced the coil and
sleeve. The game played great that night for about a half hour. Last
night (the next night), I started up a game and heard a low humming
sound when I hit the flipper. It also seemed as if the ball was
magnetically attracted to the flipper bat, but when I tried to check
this out, I discovered that the flipper was dead (left flipper still
works fine).

What happened? Can anyone help? I'm afraid I don't really know where
to begin to check this out. It would be one thing if it had never
worked at all, but for the new coil to work for one night and then
randomly die the next night, something is weird.

Thanks in advance,

Derek

I would first check the wires on the coil, make sure they are still
soldered well, then check that the wires are on the right lugs of the
coil, which probably isn't the problem since it worked after you fixed
it. Also make sure the diodes are attached and functioning properly.
Check out the williams pinball repair site, http://marvin3m.com/wpc/
it is a great guide and should help you narrow the problem down. Good
luck.
Scott

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Power off, move the flipper bat by hand to insure no binding. If binding,
you have a mechanical problem. Check under Pf for the flipper pawl hung up
on the eos switch. Look for anything else that is causing the binding.
Compare to the good side if you are not sure what something should
look/operate like.

Also when checking the flipper bat by hand, grab it and make sure you can
move it up and down a small amount. There should be a small amount of play
between the flipper pawl and the bushing on the underside of the Pf.

If no mechanical binding, a good chance you have an electrical related
problem. Check the wiring for the coil and the eos switch. Also check to
make sure that the eos switch is open unitil the the flipper reaches near
it's fully extended position. If you have questions about the correct
wiring, compare it to the left side or take a look at the marvin guide.

If all this checks out, then give your flipper button mechanism a good look
and you may have to swap the opto boards from side to side but I doubt you
will get that far. The problem is most likely related to the actual flipper
mechanism and your rebuild/adjustment.

Hth.

Otto

CARGPB11

"pinballfannhv" <dereksgh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I'm a newbie here, and would really appreciate any assistance that any
> of you might be able to provide. I just finished shopping out my Fish
> Tales. Went to change the flipper coil sleeves, and found that the
> right flipper sleeve would not come out. So I replaced the coil and
> sleeve. The game played great that night for about a half hour. Last
> night (the next night), I started up a game and heard a low humming
> sound when I hit the flipper. It also seemed as if the ball was
> magnetically attracted to the flipper bat, but when I tried to check
> this out, I discovered that the flipper was dead (left flipper still
> works fine).
>
> What happened? Can anyone help? I'm afraid I don't really know where
> to begin to check this out. It would be one thing if it had never
> worked at all, but for the new coil to work for one night and then
> randomly die the next night, something is weird.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Derek

Thanks, Scott and Otto! I checked the machine just now, and sure
enough the flipper had somehow locked up mechanically. I couldn't feel
any up/down play at all, although the night before there was play when
the flipper worked (I know because I had just rebuilt the flippers).
The bad news, though, is that the thing still won't work. Did I fry my
coil when it was trying to pull the unmovable plunger/link? I checked
all of the wires going to the coil and the EOS switch and everything
looks good. Even did some re-soldering to the coil lugs just in case.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Derek

Otto wrote:
> Power off, move the flipper bat by hand to insure no binding. If binding,
> you have a mechanical problem. Check under Pf for the flipper pawl hung up
> on the eos switch. Look for anything else that is causing the binding.
> Compare to the good side if you are not sure what something should
> look/operate like.
>
> Also when checking the flipper bat by hand, grab it and make sure you can
> move it up and down a small amount. There should be a small amount of play
> between the flipper pawl and the bushing on the underside of the Pf.
>
> If no mechanical binding, a good chance you have an electrical related
> problem. Check the wiring for the coil and the eos switch. Also check to
> make sure that the eos switch is open unitil the the flipper reaches near
> it's fully extended position. If you have questions about the correct
> wiring, compare it to the left side or take a look at the marvin guide.
>
> If all this checks out, then give your flipper button mechanism a good look
> and you may have to swap the opto boards from side to side but I doubt you
> will get that far. The problem is most likely related to the actual flipper
> mechanism and your rebuild/adjustment.
>
> Hth.
>

> Otto
>
> CARGPB11
>
> My web page: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
>
> "pinballfannhv" <dereksgh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm a newbie here, and would really appreciate any assistance that any
> > of you might be able to provide. I just finished shopping out my Fish
> > Tales. Went to change the flipper coil sleeves, and found that the
> > right flipper sleeve would not come out. So I replaced the coil and
> > sleeve. The game played great that night for about a half hour. Last
> > night (the next night), I started up a game and heard a low humming
> > sound when I hit the flipper. It also seemed as if the ball was
> > magnetically attracted to the flipper bat, but when I tried to check
> > this out, I discovered that the flipper was dead (left flipper still
> > works fine).
> >
> > What happened? Can anyone help? I'm afraid I don't really know where
> > to begin to check this out. It would be one thing if it had never
> > worked at all, but for the new coil to work for one night and then
> > randomly die the next night, something is weird.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Derek

You probably need to check the fuse that is for that flipper as it may
have blown.

Mike Fox
Algonquin, IL

pinballfannhv wrote:
> [...]
> > > of you might be able to provide. I just finished shopping out my Fish
> > > Tales. Went to change the flipper coil sleeves, and found that the
> > > right flipper sleeve would not come out. So I replaced the coil and
> > > sleeve. The game played great that night for about a half hour. Last
> > > night (the next night), I started up a game and heard a low humming
> > > sound when I hit the flipper. It also seemed as if the ball was
> > > magnetically attracted to the flipper bat, but when I tried to check
> > > this out, I discovered that the flipper was dead (left flipper still
> > > works fine).
> > >
> > > What happened? Can anyone help? I'm afraid I don't really know where
> > > to begin to check this out. It would be one thing if it had never
> > > worked at all, but for the new coil to work for one night and then
> > > randomly die the next night, something is weird.

Does the flipper move when you try to move it by hand now? If yes,
then the answer is probably the fuse like Mike said, if not, you may
have burnt the coil. If you are able to move the shaft back and forth
inside the sleeve it is probably not burnt. You can also check for
voltage at the lugs, I think it is 50v dc that is supposed to be there.
If no voltage, check the fuse.
Scott

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

Mechanical:

By hand with no power, the flipper should move fore and aft freely with no
power on it.

It should also move freely up and down.

If that is not present, fix it.

Then worry about the electical stuff.

> Thanks, Scott and Otto! I checked the machine just now, and sure
> enough the flipper had somehow locked up mechanically. I couldn't feel
> any up/down play at all, although the night before there was play when
> the flipper worked (I know because I had just rebuilt the flippers).
> The bad news, though, is that the thing still won't work. Did I fry my
> coil when it was trying to pull the unmovable plunger/link? I checked
> all of the wires going to the coil and the EOS switch and everything
> looks good. Even did some re-soldering to the coil lugs just in case.

Thanks again for the help, everyone. I adjusted the flipper so that it
moves freely with a small amount of up/down play, although there is a
slight metallic scraping sound that is made when the flipper moves (no
resistance, though). The fuse had blown, so I replaced it. Now the
flipper works, but is not as fast as the other flipper. It also sticks
in the "up" position sometimes. So I checked the coil sleeve, and it
did not want to come out of the coil easily. I got it out finally, and
tried to put in a new sleeve but couldn't get it in--too tight.

So I think my coil's shot--am I right? I'm guessing that the flipper
is slow now because of the coil's slight inward expansion putting
pressure on the coil sleeve and plunger.

Let me know if this makes sense, and again, many thanks!

Derek

Otto wrote:
> Mechanical:
>
> By hand with no power, the flipper should move fore and aft freely with no
> power on it.
>
> It should also move freely up and down.
>
> If that is not present, fix it.
>

> Then worry about the electical stuff.
>

> Otto
>
> CARGPB11
>
> My web page: http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-Ottoslanding
>
> "pinballfannhv" <dereksgh@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks, Scott and Otto! I checked the machine just now, and sure
> > enough the flipper had somehow locked up mechanically. I couldn't feel
> > any up/down play at all, although the night before there was play when
> > the flipper worked (I know because I had just rebuilt the flippers).
> > The bad news, though, is that the thing still won't work. Did I fry my
> > coil when it was trying to pull the unmovable plunger/link? I checked
> > all of the wires going to the coil and the EOS switch and everything
> > looks good. Even did some re-soldering to the coil lugs just in case.

Looks like you need a new coil and sleeve - I would start with that.
The metalic scraping sound is not normal and shood be looked into, but
is maybe related to the coil/sleeve problem.

otto

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2001

The coil got hot and the inside diameter is permanently smaller. Replace the
coil and sleeve.

Possible scenario:

Eos switch was maldjusted, coil stayed in the high power mode when held,
coil got hot, damaged coil sleeve, blew fuse.

Not sure what the metal grinding sound is that you mentioned, but I would
figure that out and eliminate it. With the power off and the playfield up,
actuate the flipper bat by hand and watch the mechanism under the playfield.
Compare it to the other side if necessary.