Sign in with
Your question

Integrated graphics enough for needs? (ASUS A52F-X3)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 30, 2010 3:34:12 PM

I'm in the market for a laptop, but can't spend much more than $500 right now. Currently, I'm looking at the ASUS A52F-X3, specs here:

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-A52F-X3-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Bla...

For $549, it's lookin pretty nice to me.

Will the integrated intel graphics in this be enough for Photoshop, Illustrator CS5? I'm not doing anything 3d, but if I wanted to, could I do some modeling/rendering? Would this be able to play some games?

If the only time I notice that it's an integrated gpu is when playing a 3d game or doing 3d rendering, I think I'll be okay...

Thoughts?

Thanks!
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b D Laptop
October 1, 2010 7:48:53 AM

It should get the job done, but I wouldn't expect much by way of performance from it. Have you considered a desktop? You'll have more room in your budget for a bit of a beefier GPU that should stream line your experience in Photoshop, etc...
m
l
October 1, 2010 4:56:50 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have been thinking about building a new desktop. I will probably end up building a desktop and buying a laptop, one now, one early next year; it's just a matter of deciding which comes first. As of now, I could get more use out of a laptop so I think I will probably get it first.

How much of an improvement do the baseline dedicated gpus, like the Radeon HD 5470, offer?

I was running Photoshop CS5, and getting work done (amazingly), on a P4 2.4ghz w/ 1gb ddr2700 and a Geforce ti4200... (don't ask). It wasn't necessarily that efficient, but just about any new laptop would blow that out of the water, integrated graphics or not, right?
m
l
Related resources
October 8, 2010 2:04:54 PM

The forum wants me to select the "best answer"... erm... Not a lot of choices.

I will be answering most of my questions myself when the laptop arrives today.

If anyone is interested in this model, Asus A52F-X3, I will write up a review of it with benchmarks and all... then that will probably be "best answer".
m
l
October 18, 2010 2:49:56 AM

I am still working on a review of the Asus A52F-X3, but I will post it as a new thread.

It runs Photoshop CS5 and Ableton Live 8.2 wonderfully for my needs, so I'm happy.

I don't really play games, but I did try Starcraft II. It ran beautifully with mostly medium settings... haven't tried to see how much I can crank it yet.

Definitely a deal of a laptop at the $549 I paid for it.
m
l
!