TiVo's New HD XL DVR Could Save Your Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have 2 TiVos and I really like the machines but I do not know where they come up with their pricing on higher capacity versions. There certainly is not a $300 difference between a 160GB drive and a 1 TB drive. I would think they could source the TB drives for under $125 each. The 160GB drives have to cost them at least $25 each so I am seeing maybe a $100 cost difference. I could see them marking that up a bit but three times?!? I really wish they would just open up and sell the software and the remote individually so we could use our own hardware. Maybe raid up a bunch of inexpensive 320Gb drives....... add in a Blueray burner, stick in a 10/100/1000 network card..... yeah.

velo116

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
As a TiVo owner I was originally excited to hear the news, but for such a large jump in price, I don't know if it's worth the extra money. I can keep my existing TiVo HD and add on the 500gb external drive from WD for $170. Then again, I'm sure this is aimed at new customers rather than existing customers.

TwoDigital

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Can you still use the old TiVo "bless" program and put in whatever replacement primary drive you want? With 1Tb drives being relatively cheap, stick with the original HD box and put in your own 1Tb drive... especially if it's quicker or more quiet than what ships in the new TiVo.

Status
Not open for further replies.