jajajabobo

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2005
Hi,

I was having the USB problem where it gives you the "surge" error when u plug in usb in the front ports of the computer.

anyways, "i got antec case" i read couple of discussions where a dude says to cut the wire which goes into pin # 10

<a href="http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?threadid=57472&hilightuser=42305">LINK1</a>
and this guide from ANTEC site
<a href="http://www.antec-inc.com/specs/ezusb.html">LINK2</a>

as the site tells me over here instead of cutting the wire i took out the pin BUT INSTEAD OF WRAPPING IT IN ELECTRIC TAPE, I PUT THE WIRE FROM #10 TO THE INPUT OF #9, since #9 has no input (empty pin) and has the slot input hole taped up.

MY QUESTION is if i now put the usb in my front input of case, IS IT NOW A FIRE HAZARD. SHOULD i buy the electric tape now and wrap it around the wire after pulling it back out of the pin???
would that be safer??
i personally think wrapping a tape around something which could start fires won't stop it from starting one but i don't know much about electrical stuff.

appreciate the answer.

xall

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
why would you cut the cable, to make it shorter?

i would prefer just move your usb device to the back usb port, or check what is the #10 pin is (common, data, (+)) -- check your mobo manual)

You can never be too rich, too good looking, or have too many <A HREF="http://folding.stanford.edu/" target="_new">folding</A> rigs.

XP2600m@2524, NF7-S, SLK900

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I think I'm a bit foncused on how that's a fire hazard. Maybe that's because I'm not reading all of those links to find out exactly what you've done, but it's hard to imagine it being an actual fire hazard.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ @ 193K :evil:
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Pin 10 is a redundant ground. It's never a fire hazard and could only harm the system if it contacted a "hot" circuit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The problem:
That ground pin is tied to the mob. A static discharge through that pin has been known to fry south bridges.

What you have done will effectively isolate that ground, and stop any static discharge to the mobo through it.
A better option would be to connect a usb hub to the port on the backplate. That rear port has better grounding anyhow.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, that's idiotic! The OTHER end of that wire is SUPPOSED to be grounded to the CASE! Now if it's grounded to the shell of the USB connector, but screwed down to plastic (without grounding to the case), what you've stated could be true! But that would be a HORRIBLE case of the worst possible design implementation!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
The problem is that most front usb ports do not have a good connection to the chasis ground. The wire connects to the usb connector housing (metal). Since most front panels are made of plastic now, it's little wonder there is no proper chasis ground at the connection point. Isolating the ground is an option. Using a well grounded connection, like the backplate ports, is the best option.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Or one could isolate the wire, then ground the end to the motherboard's mounting plate.