They are cheap for a reason. The 500watt rating is MAX output. Good for 17ms. If you break it down it has 410 watts. 180 of those on the 3.3 and 5 volt lines. so that leaves 200watt on the 12 volt lines.
Not enough for a P4 system and a 6800gt or ultra. Then you add HD ,Optical drives fans etc.........
Trouble
They LOOK good but looks arent everything.

I aint signing nothing!!!

All true, but it is still a great price for a good, mid-grade PSU that will support most modern systems. Would I recommend it for a high-end system - no. For a high-end system I would be more likely to suggest one of these:
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=17-104-934&depa=0" target="_new">Fortron Blue Storm 500W</A>
<A HREF="http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=270402" target="_new">Enermax 535W Whisper II model EG565P</A>

RichPLS

Champion
I would not use that Ultra PoS.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I've never had trouble with my regular Ultra PS. Granted I'm not running a 6800 or anything but it's running 3 optical drives and 3 hd's.
3.44/5.03/11.94 on the 3.3/5/12 lines

That's cool...with its issues a qualified recommendation is the better way to talk about the deal...

Yuo "wee" folk and your luck of the leprechaun. Not everyone has those good experiences!

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
The 420W Raidmax included in my case worked very good for my S754 system. When I upgraded to S939 I bought a Fortron 500W bluestorm, but the raidmax went to my sister along with the S754 rig.
Not only the Irish are lucky also the Mexicans. :smile:

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Mexicans? I have yet to meet a lucky mexican. And i have several friends from south of the border. There's bound to be one somewhere...if you find one, let me know. ;P

F@H:
AMD: [64 3000+][2500+][2400+][2000+][1.3][366]
Intel: [X 3.0x3][P4 3.0x2][P4 2.4x5 down][P4 1.4]

"...and i'm not gay" RX8 -Greatest Quote of ALL Time

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I think I'm pretty lucky, and I'm pretty sure that I'm Mexican.
Where do your friends live.

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
Indiana: Muncie, Anderson and Indianapolis. My coach (cedro) asked me to join a league with him that he called the mexican league, out of Indy. I'm one of like 3 white guys amongst all the hispanic's. I've never been called greengo (yea i have no idea how to spell that...) so many times in one place. At least there's a crowd...it's so funny going to those games...there's a fight every match, and it's almost always in the crowd. Oh well. Well, it's good to meet a lucky mexican. =P

Cedro makes a pretty good living, but i wouldn't call it luck. He works his ass off.

There's also a large international group that plays across from the hospital near Ball State U in Muncie, that i play with 2-3x a week.

F@H:

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Oh I thought they lived in Mexico.
It's spelled beloved patriot, but don't worry most of the time is not derogatory, although it could be.
We're not very politically correct.
Anybody with dark skin is negro (black), anybody that is asian is chino (chinese), anybody that is american is a beloved patriot, anybody with even slightly blonde hair is a guero.

BTW Have you eaten real mexican food at your friends house?

RichPLS

Champion
VOTE FOR PEDRO!

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
Gringos are lucky, they sleep midday and it is expected that they consume massive quantities of Tequila!
Viva Le Mehico!

*psst*
<pre>Gringos are the Americans - not Mexicans</pre><p>

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
He's still got family there, but i'm not sure where exactly. He brought two of his sons with him two years ago, although he's married/remarried since coming to the states.

Well, i haven't eaten at his place before, but we've gone to what he says is the closest thing to authentic, and we (including 3-4 other guys from the team) ate spicy food till our eyes watered after a match. I eat spicy (in american eyes anyway) food alot (Thai, local mex, and what i make at home).

F@H:

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
lol rofl

F@H:

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I have some friends in Indiana, Kokomo to be exact. I used to work for Delco Electronics, and I think they have the headquarters in Kokomo.

apesoccer

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
That's interesting...Is that the same Delco, that has changed it's name from Delco Remy to Delphi, and 3-4 other names? I know three or four guys from Delphi/Delco Remy in Anderson (that place closed down i think in the last year). I knew somebody who worked in Kokomo too...i just can't think who. One of my friends' parents from middle school (i lived here for 4 years when i was a kid...then moved away...obviously back now...). Bleh, somebody wants me to actually work here...later

F@H:

RichPLS

Champion
Oh, well that sheds a little light on why they kept yelling stupid gringos every time I walked in a bar, I thought they were just welcoming me as one of them. [/shrugs]

The AUDACITY! They need to recognize and let you do your duties here at thgc...

I'm sure it was a term of endearment for them instead of an insult. :wink: