Sign in with
Your question

Totally Blown My CPU!

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2005 1:40:55 PM

No, not what you think. My mind is totally blown.

1) Scottie dies. Total bummer.

2) I had to repeatedly shrink down my autosig because the server kept telling me that it exceeded 200 chars. Now, granting the unimaginable waste (aka Windows) of two chars for a newline (AKA LF+CR), the Sympathy for the Devil quote should only come to 97 chars if I can count right. Now, the two :evil:  s and the "@ 193K" with the newline should eat up another 24 if I can count. That should leave 79 chars for the "یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ" part, which itself is only 13 unicode characters. Yet each unicode char seems to be taking <font color=red><b>6</b></font color=red> chars to store. :o  All that I can figure is that even though I can copy and paste unicode characters into these boxes, that the server must still internally be storing them in the HTML format of "&#nnn;" for each character. Talk about wasteful! And if it's going to internally convert to the most consuming method possible, why even convert at all then? And I'm starting to wonder if the newlines aren't internally converted to HTML's br tags, wasting four characters for what should be one char. It's all well and good that we're limited to 200 chars for an autosig, but something is really flaky as the real world chars are coming up way short of 200. :( 

3) I just heard on the news this morning that GTA-SA is being re-rated from M to AO because using a <i>3rd party <b>unlicensed hack</b></i> that violates the T&A agreed to when installing can change the compiled bytes of the executable to show content that had been explicitely locked out by the developers. Now don't get me wrong, IMHO, given the game itself, it should have been rated AO from the beginning anyway. But changing the rating because <i>hacking the executable</i> can unlock content <i>blocked by the game producers</i> is IMHO way beyond fair.

Hell, The Sims and The Sims2 could do the same. In fact I believe there's even an in-game cheat to undo the censoring there, so you don't even have to hack the executable. And these only get a T rating?

Actually, I think what's really blown my mind there is that for some demented reason America seems to view violence as acceptable and sex as not. When IMHO (except for a few fetishes) it should be exactly the other way around. :o 

So my mind is blown.

:evil:  یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ @ 193K :evil: 
Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name.
But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game.

More about : totally blown cpu

July 21, 2005 2:10:35 PM

Wow . You took the time to write all that. Plus I wasted my time reading all your sig stuff. :lol: 
July 21, 2005 2:11:09 PM

GTA.. A good game, but it's <i>always</i> been an 18 rating over here, so it wouldn't go higher because of this, even if they wanted it to. If I were a parent, I'd be more concerned about the violence and language than the sexual content...

Quote:
for some demented reason America seems to view violence as acceptable and sex as not.

This is something I've always found a source of befuddlement (is that a word? Think so.. :lol:  ) myself....

Janet Jackson flashes a Boob - no nipple visible mind you - and the country's in uproar... But virtually anyone (who could have undiagnosed mental problems) can go and buy an Uzi. Nobody <i>needs</i> an Uzi, for god's sake!

The morals of that particular society (from my POV anyway) are severly Bass-Ackwards...

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."
Related resources
July 21, 2005 2:20:53 PM

The nipple was quite visible... depending on how closely you looked.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>
July 21, 2005 2:24:31 PM

Quote:
depending on how closely you looked.

I've got to agree there. Some of the cropped pics taken from a high-def recording made things quite clear. :o 

July 21, 2005 2:28:50 PM

exactly

its should have been adlt on the language alone. a curseword here in there i dont find too offending but throughout the whole game its constantly... well what ever,

i curse all the time and i was suprised at the amount of language was in the game.

<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com/nutshell.mp3" target="_new">"Like a scrotum, there it is in a nutshell."</A>
<font color=red>Roll Tide!</font color=red>
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Apathetic As<i></i>shole.}=-</A>
July 21, 2005 2:33:43 PM

Quote:
But virtually anyone (who could have undiagnosed mental problems) can go and buy an Uzi. Nobody needs an Uzi, for god's sake!

But we need to keep up with the super deer! :o 

Seriously I could go on and on about my opinions there, but that'd be a rant all unto itself.

Quote:
The morals of that particular society (from my POV anyway) are severly Bass-Ackwards...

Damn straight. I blame it on the church and their 'family values'. And I mean that seriously.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2005 2:39:58 PM

Oh BTW about GTA:SA Hot-Coffey mod, a cheat code to enable it is out on the PS2, meaning its not an hacked executable like RockStar claimed but more like unlocked content, wich make the changing of the rating a bit more comprehensive(couldnt find any other words...).

Aslo whats the different M is 17+ and AO is 18+ if im not mistaken. I dont think I learned what sex was between 17 and 18. And uh most kids have sex around 16-17, some like wingding even start at 4...So whats the big deal. I tottaly agree with your view of sex/violence in america. Like that Clinton thing, if it happened in france everyone would be proud!...specially since their presient is gay :wink:

Back to Hot Coffey, you just see your GF top less in thong and you dont see any genitals, what the big deal I tought boobs where PG13!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
July 21, 2005 2:41:01 PM

Quote:
Plus I wasted my time reading all your sig stuff.

You poor soul.

Seriously though, by <i>my</i> count my sig should count as exactly 132 chars, but it only just fits into the 200 char limit? What the heck happened to the other <b>68</b> chars? That's well over a quarter of my characters being wasted. That ain't right, IMHO.

July 21, 2005 2:45:53 PM

Quote:
Oh BTW about GTA:SA Hot-Coffey mod, a cheat code to enable it is out on the PS2, meaning its not an hacked executable like RockStar claimed but more like unlocked content

I'm not about to go looking this up at work, but my understanding is that it's a 3rd party mod that you can never unlock with <i>just</i> the original software. Can anyone verify how this mod is applied to a PS2? Do you actually need to run 3rd party software, or is there an actual in-game code?

(And this still doesn't explain why The Sims is rated T. Hell, even Morrowind had its mod. Plenty of games do.)

July 21, 2005 2:49:37 PM

I don't think it is a hack... just an unlock code.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2005 2:53:32 PM

ill dig the article for you, saw that yesterday...at work tough :redface:

Cant find it now...but its not a third party.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labbbby on 07/21/05 10:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 21, 2005 5:42:11 PM

>Hell, The Sims and The Sims2 could do the same. In fact I
>believe there's even an in-game cheat to undo the censoring
>there

No, it requires you download new skins (with nipples, pubic hair and all that), and a cloth hack or something. Anyway, I must say it looks good, if you have Sims2 I recommend you download it ;) 

>Actually, I think what's really blown my mind there is that
>for some demented reason America seems to view violence as
>acceptable and sex as not

Yep, totally agree. Same with movies, its apparently ok for kids to view extremely violent scenes, everyone waving and shooting guns as long as the blood is green or invisible or something.. but oh dear, if there is only a flash of a nude breast in there, it gets an R rating.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
July 21, 2005 5:43:32 PM

Hmmm Do they count spaces as chars?
July 21, 2005 6:31:05 PM

Quote:
No, it requires you download new skins

I think Sims1 did, but according to my wife, Sims2 can turn off the blurring with a cheat code. Of course everyone looks about as realistic as a barbie doll then...

Quote:
Anyway, I must say it looks good, if you have Sims2 I recommend you download it ;) 

Been there, done that. Heh heh.

Actually, Sims2 has let me down in a lot of ways. The AI is a <i>bit</i> better, but still quite lacking in common sense. And the game still lacks an awful lot.

The ability to define zones with rules of "only PersonX allowed here", "anyone but PersonX allowed here", or "only males allowed here" kind of stuff would really help to define bedrooms, washrooms, etc. And am I the only one disturbed that none of the walls seem to match the floors? It's sad when the default sets are so lacking. Plus the timings are still way screwed up. Everything takes way too long to do compared to real life. And for that matter, pizza doesn't go bad in a couple of hours. :o  And you can always put leftovers in the fridge in real life and microwave them a week later.

I could go on and on, but basically Sims2 really seems like barely a step forward from Sims1. (And in some ways like walls, floors, etc. it seems like a step backward.)

Quote:
Yep, totally agree. Same with movies, its apparently ok for kids to view extremely violent scenes, everyone waving and shooting guns as long as the blood is green or invisible or something.

Yeah. No kidding. Invisible blood seems to be the common solution to keeping a PG-13 rating.

Another thing that <i>really</i> bugs me is that the ratings don't even f'ing matter. So long as a parent or guardian is there, the kids are too. I mean I should be able to go to an R rated movie to get <i>away</i> from kids running around and screaming and crap. It irks me that there is no normal movie that I can go to that'd be free of kids.

**ROFL** That's something that my wife and I talk about a lot. Now that so many places have gone smoke free, they should be forced to split things into with or without kids sections.

Of course if parents actually taught their kids the 'family values' that they're supposed to...

July 21, 2005 6:35:26 PM

Quote:
Hmmm Do they count spaces as chars?

That's an interesting question. I know that one space counts as one char, but I'm not sure what happens if you have several spaces in a row. Whitespace might be HTMLized internally instead of letting the browser do it. :o  I don't really know what happens there.

July 21, 2005 8:13:59 PM

what about any markup that you have included, did you count that?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 22, 2005 8:23:28 PM

<A HREF="http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/22/news_6129609.ht..." target="_new">Sims 2 IS worst than GTA lool </A>

Quote:
It's not just the adults that are liberated from their wardrobes. Sims kids can also be nudified, "much to the delight, one can be sure, of pedophiles around the globe who can rehearse, in virtual reality, for their abuse."

muahahahah good for them!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labbbby on 07/22/05 04:24 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 23, 2005 5:28:52 AM

Quote:
3rd party unlicensed hack

Well, since you can access it on the console version (Ps2 or Xbox not sure which), I have to believe that's original code boss. Shouldn't be a supreme court case ne way, but...

All with you on the rest though man. You can watch a full day of the "Rambo" series, followed by "Cops",and the news, then watch half a football game with 312 beer commercials. But when a woman's breast comes into view, it's an outrage. ?????&(^*(&^

Round the clock war & destruction but the female body is "obscene".

** my bad,, I missed a bunch of the earlier posts,, repeated some stuff. sry

<font color=blue> That Jesus Christ guy is getting some terrible lag... it took him 3 days to respawn! </font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jmwpom3 on 07/22/05 10:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 25, 2005 5:47:16 AM

I've been playing San Andreas this past week. The language is obscene even for somebody like me who uses masterfully all the cursing in english and spanish.
And there was one scene where a girl in one of the rooms in the back is giving a blow job to one of the gangstas. And I haven't even got the hack.
Do you know the link to get the hot coffee hack?

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 12:54:54 PM

Lol I know and frankly rated M vs rated AO is a big 1 year difference. So kid shouldnt have the game in the first place.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 12:58:26 PM

In GTA:SA you have some girlfriends, you need to take them on dates so you can raise the progression bar. You can bring them flowers, dildo and such so it goes faster, sex appeal helps too. ANyhow when you get them to full, the girl invites you for coffey and you hear some moaning and the camera is shaking outside of the house...

WIht hot coffe you see them having sex inside and you have to press some buttons to make a pogress bar go all the way and give her an orgasm =).

Have to try the mod! hehe I check fast but only deutch site or whatever have it(the modder is deutch I think)

July 25, 2005 5:33:52 PM

With all of our expertise and all of the horny bastards on here (not you Wingy) we can't find this hack?? I am a little surprised to say the least.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 5:40:01 PM

Two words:
At Work
=)
Plus my internet is acting weird at home, I can go to lamost any website exept a few like: tomsharware.com and hotmail.com...
That sux! weird because my dns does resolve the address for the domain. And it happens on my desktop and my laptp with both IE and firefox...ummm

July 25, 2005 5:44:09 PM

Hey labbby I just noticed the sig... are you an intel man?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 5:48:48 PM

Never owned a single AMD computer!
Take that!!!!

Seriously always had Intel's, 1st reason the guy who gave me the passion for hardware was (and still is)seriously intel biased. So my first custom comptuer PII-350 that got upgraded incrementally to PIII-733 always stayed Intel insided.

Then I slowed down on upgrades and when my comptuer was jsut to slow for my needs it was right in the P4C era. Thats was the best rig to buy at the moment...Im really happy with it 2.5 years later I must add, 1.5 year ago swapped the DDR400 and got a nice speed bump!

Anyhow next computer will most likely be AMD. When the time to upgrade the central unit, ill buy the best bang for the buck!

I did build quite a few AMD boxes for friends and its nice to work with too!

July 25, 2005 5:49:03 PM

Quote:
At Work

Word.
July 25, 2005 5:58:39 PM

Yeah... I think that Intel has at least shown promise with the 820 D. Who knows who will be on top a year from now. Although I do think it is pretty clear who owns the gaming market right now, or at least who SHOULD own it.
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 6:22:35 PM

In the new <A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20050725/index.html" target="_new">THG article</A> the 660 seems to fare pretty well at medium res in UT2004 and FartCry, but gets killed in Doom3.

<font color=red>You're a boil on the arse of progress - don't make me squeeze you!</font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Rugger on 07/25/05 02:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 25, 2005 6:34:57 PM

I did try the hot coffee mod. It is just that, after the meeting at the bar, you bring her home and have fun with her.

I used google and found the mod easily. A small download, 1.3 megs IIRC.

To me, if this story wouldnt have been in the news, mostly nobody would have known of it and installed it. But the board decided to make it a public announcement and now, everybody will look at it.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 6:57:17 PM

Yup tottaly agree!
It got excessive publicity! This is really stupid, its not even "hardcore" plus its computer generated. Somewhat, other parts like killing some1 with a double headed dildo seams to be going unnoticed!

Heck even google's picture search without that moderating option is 100X worst

July 25, 2005 7:31:48 PM

Quote:
what about any markup that you have included, did you count that?

Yep. That's what makes it so wrong.

July 25, 2005 7:34:05 PM

Quote:
Well, since you can access it on the console version (Ps2 or Xbox not sure which), I have to believe that's original code boss.

I dunno. I don't have either console, but I thought that they had hard drives for patches and crap these days.

Can anyone here verify how hot coffee is applied to consoles?

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 7:46:43 PM

I beleive you need gameshark(right?) or something along those line to enter a long cheat code that will allow your playstation to run code that is usually un-accesible.

Still cant find that article!! errr

July 25, 2005 8:00:45 PM

Did you burn your lips? [/blonde question]

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2005 8:07:42 PM

I doubt it - they're careful and always use plastic wrap to prevent pregnancy. [confused blonde response]