Bios update to support dual core

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone here has experience in updating their motherboard bios to support one of those AMD X2s?
I'm interested in buying:
Asus A8N-E nForce4 Ultra (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-088-AS)

and an AMD X2 CPU (haven't decided which one yet).

As I was researching through Asus's web site, I came across the description of the latest bios for this motherboard:

A8N-E Bios version 1005
1.Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
2.Fixed "ASUS Update" can't update BIOS when using Dual Core CPU.
3.Fixed NOS can't work after enabled NOS by AI-Booster.
4.Add more DRAM Items in the Bios.
5.Fixed it fails to boot when Enabled NOS function.
6.Fixed ATI X600, X800 VGA Card sometimes fails to enter OS.
7.Support Single Core CPU cool&Quiet function under Windows 2000.
8.Set the lowest frequency of Dual Core CPU with Cool&Quiet to 1000MHz.
9.Fixed sometimes CPU Vcore may be abnormal.

Point '1' and '2' caught my eyes.
Now assuming that "Support new CPUs" means supporting dual core CPUs, these two points would translate in to something like:

In order to use the latest dual core CPUs, you need to first update the bios. But remember you cannot update the bios if you're using a dual core CPU.

Hm, I wonder what I should do if I am to buy both the motherboard and the AMD X2 CPU? (no, I do not currently own any single core S939 CPUs and non of the people I know do).

Please point me to the right direction. Thanks!

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Point #2 is telling you that problem has been fixed in the latest BIOS version. I haven't done this myself as I have yet to find the worth in going to a dual core system for a gamer such as myself, but that is how I read it.

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
So what you are saying is:
I will be alright if I buy the dual core CPU with this motherboard even though the motherboard won't support a dual core CPU until I've applied this latest-bios update?

I'm still confused...

I may be getting you wrong (if i do i apologize), but why did they bother pointing out in this latest-bios description that 'with this latest-bios the support for dual core is fixed' ie. supported, when apparently the motherboard already supports dual cure straight from the box?

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
ops that reply was to starfishy.
any also thanks wusy for replying...
so you mean i should just somehow someway 'borrow' a single core S939 CPU from somewhere (e.g. a shop) to do the bios update, before plugging my dual core CPU back in?
I will be ordering parts online and I don't even know if they have a shop floor shop. And to be honest, like most people, I'd rather buy something that would just work as soon as I brought it home, without having to borrow stuffs from somewhere to 'kick start' it...

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
Can you show me the recommended list of S939 boards?
I'm not an overclocker, and I don't want SLi.
I just want somethign with lots of extra feature, like fireware (b?), wifi, 2x lan ports, extra more pci and pci-e slots....... etc.
thanks!

qbker

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2004
I think I'll go for the DFI LANParty nF4 Ultra-D, it seems to have the most of everything.
I hope I'm not investing too much money in a 'dying socket' as some put it.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
That board will support dual straight out of the box. I don't know where you heard this, but I have never heard the s939 reffered to as a dying socket. I would assume you are a little mixed up between s939 and s754.

endyen

Splendid
All of the s939 boards (or at least all I know about) will boot to dual core chips. It may be necesary to update the bios to get full functionality,if you get a board with an outdated bios.
In the case of the Asus board, thier online bios update does not work, so you have to update the bios in dos mode.