Yamakasi catleap 27"

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
On the same boat, ryan.

The price is hard to argue with for the number of pixels.

Cheapest alternatives are at least double in price.

Any owners of the Yamakasi Catleap 2560x1440 display care to give some prospective buyers a brief review or satisfaction rating?

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
I just got mine today, I could not be happier, not a single pixel problem! Diablo 3 looks SO much better on one of these and the screen real estate is AMAZING. If you buy one from green-sum he has a universal power adapter with it but you need the piece that goes from the adapter brick into the wall. I am NEVER going back to 1080p. I read a lot about these before I got one, the older model with 2BXX can handle a 90-97Hz refresh. Also, because they do not have an On-Screen Display or any extras on the monitor, the input lag is extremely low. These are great for gaming.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

I got the normal priced SE model. It was the cheapest at the time. It's still going good no probs at all :) Great monitor for the price.

dunlam

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
I got mine couple days ago. The ebay seller told me that it's gonna take 2 weeks to get to my house, but then I got it in 5 days.

The bads:
Anyway, When I open the box, it looks normal. The back side of the monitor is all cheap looking plastic . The front of it looks just like a normal monitor.

Putting it together was fast. Only two screws to put the monitor to the stand. The switch button is on the lower right corner. When I tried to switch it on, the whole monitor swing left and right for a few seconds because of the cheap stand.

The goods:
Once it turned it on. O, boy, the screen quality just out weight all the bads. I got a perfect pixel monitor. At first when I turned it on, it had the blueish tone. I quickly fixed it by tuning the color. There is no adjustment buttons on the monitor. I did it with the video card drive. I put it next to my 27inch imac. I can't tell which one is really better.

Conclusion:

For 300 bucks, i don't really care about the cheap stand nor the somewhat ugly back. You get a high quality screen at 2560x 1440. I will probably spend another 50 bucks to get a better stand. Other than that, i guarantee that you won't regret getting this monitor!!

deejaybos

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
I also ordered one after doing quite a bit of research and review reading. I got the standard SE. I figured for an extra ~$70, it wasn't worth having someone from Korea tell me they checked it over for dead pixels. I had zero dead pixels and the picture is fantastic. This is a glossy display, so if you're not into glare/reflections, then maybe not for you. I will say that the stand is awful, even bumping my desk sent it wobbling all over and made me feel uneasy. What I did do is follow a fairly simple guide to remove the factory stand and then attached a 3M stand from newegg.com.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16848021346 <---- Stand replacement

So, now my monitor is VERY sturdy, can go up and down, tilt, swivel, and even rotate into portrait mode, and for the fraction of the cost of an equivalent Dell 27" monitor. I'm not sure if I can post the link to the stand replacement guide because it's another forum, but if you google "replace catleap stand" you should be able to find what I am referring to. It basically involves taking the panel apart just to get to internal screws to pull off a back piece that then exposes the standard VESA mounting holes. It's about a 30 minute process of popping some clips and removing a small handful of screws. Worth it for peace of mind and a sturdy and inexpensive monitor.

chumly

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010

I'm glad I checked this thread again and thank you, I got that stand. Amazing :)

milosz

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2006
I bought a 30-inch 2650 x 1600 Yamakasi, I elected the "perfect pixel" feature. Thing arrived in four days from Korea, and it looks GREAT! ZERO dead pixels. I am using it next to a Samsung 305T and the Yamakasi looks better- better blacks, and crisper text. Haven't noticed any blur / lag in gaming.

Great deal for $450 including shipping. I would recommend the brand to anyone.

Once you start using a 30 inch monitor you just can go back to something smaller. I have TWO of them on my main rig, 2650 x 3200 desktop!