Rita....

Paul

Splendid

We are starting to get reports of the forthcoming Hurricane Rita (that
is due to hit Texas Early hours Friday) here in the UK.

Just thought i'd send my thoughts to those in Texas, God protect, and
Please prepare and take whatever measures you need to keep safe.

Remember, Possesions are replaceable. Human life isn't.

Appears to be the result of us destorying the planet. Now it's
fighting back:(

metallik wrote:
> "The storm is coming, return to your ho.. er.. RUN from your homes!"
>
> Hope it wears itself out a bit before hitting wherever it hits... :(
> Amazing how fast they strengthen when they get into the Gulf..
>
> Paul wrote:
> > We are starting to get reports of the forthcoming Hurricane Rita (that
> > is due to hit Texas Early hours Friday) here in the UK.
> >
> > Just thought i'd send my thoughts to those in Texas, God protect, and
> > Please prepare and take whatever measures you need to keep safe.
> >
> > Remember, Possesions are replaceable. Human life isn't.

last reports has louisana as a possible hit again as well, sounds like
florida last year

Ctsteps5

owner of
71 Bally Expressway, 72 Williams Superstar,
74 Williams Star Pool, 75 Gottlieb Fast Draw.

Moderator of EM Pinball Group
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/empinbalmachines/

Paul wrote:
> We are starting to get reports of the forthcoming Hurricane Rita (that
> is due to hit Texas Early hours Friday) here in the UK.
>
> Just thought i'd send my thoughts to those in Texas, God protect, and
> Please prepare and take whatever measures you need to keep safe.
>
> Remember, Possesions are replaceable. Human life isn't.

People used to ask me why I moved to Cleveland after having a sales
managers territory that went from Tallahassee, Florida west to
Pensacola, Florida. I'll take the beautiful Ohio summers and the snow
in the winter.

Good Luck

Fred, I hope you're packing everything up, 'cause I'm starting to worry
about you there! Take care of the necessary things ASAP and get inland
a long ways.
Brian Saunders

Don't be silly!

Dubya sent Rita over here. He didn't want
Texas to be left out! ;)

--
Fred
TX

"RazerX" <r_kokot@yahoo.com> wrote

> Appears to be the result of us destorying the planet. Now it's
> fighting back:(

I live up here north of Dallas and they are warning about T-Stoms this
weekend but nothing like what is gonna hit the coast....

Im worried for my fellow Texans down on the Guld Coast....but the word
is out and it looks like most folks are seeking higher ground...

A little prayer or two couldn't hurt either...and just think...in Texas
that is a local call.

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."

Right, Einstein. There were no such things as hurricanes, volcanoes, earthquakes, etc, etc
before the "industrial age", or whatever you think has brought this on.
Nature is powerful, violent, unpredictable and unstoppable. The earth's geological and
climatic conditions have always been changing and have had relatively calm and then violent
cycles all throughout history. We have absolutely nothing to do with it, and we have at
this time in our social and technological evolution, no power to alter or stop it. Some
great minds have theorized that we will eventually be able to master our earth, unless we
first destroy ourselves! No, we don't have the power to destroy the earth, but we do have
the power to destroy ourselves.
JR

"JR Pinball" <jsadama@nospamworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> Right, Einstein. There were no such things as hurricanes, volcanoes,
> earthquakes, etc, etc
> before the "industrial age", or whatever you think has brought this on.
> Nature is powerful, violent, unpredictable and unstoppable. The earth's
> geological and
> climatic conditions have always been changing and have had relatively calm
> and then violent
> cycles all throughout history. We have absolutely nothing to do with it,
> and we have at
> this time in our social and technological evolution, no power to alter or
> stop it. Some
> great minds have theorized that we will eventually be able to master our
> earth, unless we
> first destroy ourselves! No, we don't have the power to destroy the
> earth, but we do have
> the power to destroy ourselves.
> JR

True, this happens in cycles. The last global warming peaked nearly 800
years ago. And the last mini-ice age bottomed out a mere 300 years ago.
There have been many up and down cycles. Looking at global temps now
compared historically over the eons - we're nearly perfect now and are on
the upswing of what looks like a sine wave. Kinda like the old saying goes
"If you don't like the weather, wait a few minutes" er make that centuries.

-- Ed

Thanks guys. More worried about the folks near
Houston, now. I'm (currently,)on the bottom edge
of this thing, and may just get some water.

I have found at least one thing to be optimistic
about: If the storm claimed ALL of my pins, at
least I have one it can't touch. Which one?

BBB! :D

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=======================

Brian Saunders wrote:
> Fred, I hope you're packing everything up, 'cause I'm starting to worry
> about you there! Take care of the necessary things ASAP and get inland
> a long ways.
> Brian Saunders

> about: If the storm claimed ALL of my pins, at
> least I have one it can't touch. Which one?
>
> BBB! :D

Hahaha.. true :)

BTW, just read the mayor of corpus christie just ordered a mandatory
evac.. are you within the evac zone?

Dude, Take a pill. Science is not longer divorced from politics, there
is a spin on every "unbiased' report (opinion) you read. Ed is right,
there is a strong evidence trail of the global warming/cooling being a
big cycle and we're just along for the ride.

How much energy is being created/dissipated in Rita alone? 1,000 time
our biggest energy preoducing H-bomb? 10,000x? We may be having an
effect on the climate, but it's on a small scale compared to the energy
system of the planet's weather. I believe you are stating your
opinion, not fact. Nothing in nature is static, and weather patterns
are no different

> How much energy is being created/dissipated in Rita alone? 1,000 time
> our biggest energy preoducing H-bomb? 10,000x?

Hurricanes don't create energy. They transform it, pulling energy from
warm ocean water and creating wind out of it. The warmer the water,
the stronger the wind.

> We may be having an effect on the climate, but it's on a small scale

Okay, let's say we're in a "normal" climate cycle of warming up.
Wouldn't it be logical to do everything we can to minimize any
additional warming caused by our actions? It is proven that greenhouse
gases trap heat. If anything, the presence of a "normal" cycle of
warmth should be *additional* cause to reduce/eliminate fossil fuel
burning, because we would be worsening the problem.

> system of the planet's weather. I believe you are stating your
> opinion, not fact. Nothing in nature is static, and weather patterns
> are no different

Well, one fact: in the last 50 years, the oceans got a little warmer
and the storms got a little stronger, especially towards the end of
that period. Should we do something to help reverse that trend?

-Well, one fact: in the last 50 years, the oceans got a little warmer
-and the storms got a little stronger, especially towards the end of
-that period. Should we do something to help reverse that trend?

It's very arrogant of us to think that we can actually do anything to
the earth. Nothing we have can hold a candle to what nature can do. On
the flip side of that argument, there's very little that can be done to
stop a trend, at least things that are in our power to do. If you want
to stop polluting etc. to make yourself feel better, go ahead. That's
about all the effect it would have though.

Yes, I'm in that "zone". ;)

That evacuation concern is mostly for the
elderly and invallid. (I'm neither!) Same for
those on the islands nearest here.

Best news, (for me at least), is as of 10am,
we are just under a Tropical Storm warning.

Much preferred over *Hurricane*. :)

(Still loading pins into the house, though...!)

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
=====================

metallik wrote:
> > about: If the storm claimed ALL of my pins, at
> > least I have one it can't touch. Which one?
> >
> > BBB! :D
>
> Hahaha.. true :)
>
> BTW, just read the mayor of corpus christi just ordered a mandatory
> evac.. are you within the evac zone?

Chill OUT !!..... To give you a fact though the #1 issue related to
the warming of the Earth is the Brush and Forest Fires. In particular
the Fires burning in South America (Brazil). Some are man made and
some are natural. They are massive and can be seen from all satellite
photos. They make up almost 99% of the "green house" affects we are
seeing on the planet especially in the last 10 years. The fires in
those area's are torching the Earth. So if you want to do something,
get on a bike, head through Mexico and go fight those fires. The Fires
on the planet have accelerated this affect. Now if you read history,
this is exactly how the planet changes from time to time with
Earthquakes, Lightning, and Natural causes. 1 point does not equal a
trend. Bill

> Best news, (for me at least), is as of 10am,
> we are just under a Tropical Storm warning.

Yeah, it seems to keep hooking north.. good for you, bad for
Louisiana. Ah well, it's gonna a hit somewhere.. at least everyone is
prepared now!

Actually there is some scientific evidence that the Sun is going through a
solar cooling phase right now putting out less solar power. Normally this
sun stage would cause the beginning of an ice age . . . but because of green
house gasses trapping the heat we are actually staying about even.
Interesting . . . there are probably somewhere on the order of 20,000 items
that occur in the weather model for our planet and we are familiar with like
30 of them yet we're qualified to make predictions :) Seriously us humans
are hysterical for how much we don't know acting like we do know.

--
Kerry Stair

Mantis Amusements "Its all about Pinball"

"metallik" <lscott@dlptech.com> wrote in message
>> How much energy is being created/dissipated in Rita alone? 1,000 time
>> our biggest energy preoducing H-bomb? 10,000x?
>
> Hurricanes don't create energy. They transform it, pulling energy from
> warm ocean water and creating wind out of it. The warmer the water,
> the stronger the wind.
>
>> We may be having an effect on the climate, but it's on a small scale
>
> Okay, let's say we're in a "normal" climate cycle of warming up.
> Wouldn't it be logical to do everything we can to minimize any
> additional warming caused by our actions? It is proven that greenhouse
> gases trap heat. If anything, the presence of a "normal" cycle of
> warmth should be *additional* cause to reduce/eliminate fossil fuel
> burning, because we would be worsening the problem.
>
>> system of the planet's weather. I believe you are stating your
>> opinion, not fact. Nothing in nature is static, and weather patterns
>> are no different
>
> Well, one fact: in the last 50 years, the oceans got a little warmer
> and the storms got a little stronger, especially towards the end of
> that period. Should we do something to help reverse that trend?

Rob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Pin Geek wrote:
> Will Dallas be affected?
>
> --
> Dallas could get hit with 100 mph winds and major rain. Still depends
on how long Rita can maintain her strength. It looks like it will
probably hit near Galveston with wind speeds around 150 mph. A storm
like this will not likely maintain it's current wind speeds above
170mph.

Rob

I'd consider pinballs "invalid" - they can't move themselves, right?

There's also strong evidence to suggest that manmade pollutants ARE
having an effect on our environment. The holes in the ozone?

But whether you believe the scientific community or this
administration's spinmasters, wouldn't it always be wiser to err on the
side of caution? If everyone's wrong and nature's just doing her
thing, then what have we lost by looking for "greener" energy sources?
We lose a dependance on foreign oil. We still gain cleaner water, air
and soil. Is that wrong to advocate?

On 22 Sep 2005 12:20:45 -0700, "qfrost" <qfrost@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There's also strong evidence to suggest that manmade pollutants ARE
>having an effect on our environment. The holes in the ozone?
>
>But whether you believe the scientific community or this
>administration's spinmasters, wouldn't it always be wiser to err on the
>side of caution? If everyone's wrong and nature's just doing her
>thing, then what have we lost by looking for "greener" energy sources?
>We lose a dependance on foreign oil. We still gain cleaner water, air
>and soil. Is that wrong to advocate?

The scientific community does not speak with one voice. There are
scientists who believe the ozone hole has come and gone in cycles as
long as the earth has existed. There are scientists who say the earth
was warmer 1000 years ago than today. Were humans to blame then too?

"The flapping of a single butterfly's wing today produces a tiny
change in the state of the atmosphere. Over a period of time, what the
atmosphere actually does diverges from what it would have done. So, in
a month's time, a tornado that would have devastated the Indonesian
coast doesn't happen. Or maybe one that wasn't going to happen, does.
(Ian Stewart, Does God Play Dice? The Mathematics of Chaos, pg. 141)"

There are no environmentally benign energy sources. What would the
unintended consequences of millions of windmills would be? Would there
be even the tiniest effect on the speed of the earths rotation? Would
shifts in wind currents occur? How would that effect ocean currents?
Not to mention ripple effects from all the dead birds.

Now I'm all for the diversification of our energy supply, and all for
energy self sufficience, but anything we do will have consequences
that will likely not be predicted.