Sign in with
Your question

First Laptop...Need Help

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 1, 2010 2:44:33 PM

Hey, I hope everyone's doing great.
I'm in the market for my first laptop and I'm new to laptops so I was hoping you could all help. I know basic computer hardware(Dual core is much better for multitasking, DDR3 is faster than DDR2 ect...) but would like help with laptop hardware. My questions are things like is ddr3 a must or can you get away with ddr2? Intel vs AMD dual core which is better? and stuff like that. Below I will answer the questions that were put together to help you under stand my situation.

1. What is your budget?
$425 USD and down.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
15.6inch or lower.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
whatever is standard for laptops. this is not that important to me.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Somewhere in the middle but more of a desktop 'substitute' for when I can't be near my desktop.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'm not sure...whatever is standard is fine.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes I do. Games: Minecraft low-medium settings, Civilization 4 medium settings, Guild Wars low-medium settings.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Internet Browsing (5 or 6 firefox tabs at once) while having iTunes and python programming app open at once. Video Editing is something that would be nice to be able to do But not needed.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320GB is great, but 500GB would be awesome.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
http://www.officemax.com/technology/computers/laptop-co...

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
As long as it'll last. It'll be 2-3 years before I can get a new one.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD ROM?Writer is fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm open to any quality brand laptop. But it has to be a quality brand.

13. What country do you live in?
United States of America

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I personally like AMD but if Intel has a better processor so be it. I really would prefer the one that offers more power.
Uh I don't know ask any questions if you need more info.

Great Thanks.

More about : laptop

a b D Laptop
October 3, 2010 11:51:41 PM

To be honest, you're not going to be able to get much for $425, especially in regard to gaming. I recommend saving up a bit more so that you can get something that will handle the games you play pretty easily and last you a few years. Never the less, here is one I found on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 4, 2010 4:01:27 AM

buwish said:
To be honest, you're not going to be able to get much for $425, especially in regard to gaming. I recommend saving up a bit more so that you can get something that will handle the games you play pretty easily and last you a few years. Never the less, here is one I found on NewEgg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

That's a pretty good machine for $400.

I paid $2,100 about 4 years ago for a machine equal to that, except the GPU wasn't integrated.
!