jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
I was looking through a computer consumer type guide today and saw something that bothered me:
I saw over and over again adds for "Extreme Gaming Rig" or something of that like and 99% of the adds didn't even offer an AMD system as an option.

Now, I'm well aware that alot of these companies have just had agreements with Intel for years and so that's what their selling. But this is the type of thing that's keeping the mainstream, not-so-tech savvy buyer purchasing Intel systems where they would've been much better suited with an AMD rig. It's completely within their right, but sooooo damn lame. I've talked to quite a few friends in that category who were buying gaming systems and spending large sums of $$ on a XPS from Dell or something along those lines. Some of these guys were even unaware of AMD being another option at all. (yeah, not the people here, but they're out there)

This stuff bug the shite out of anyone else or is it just me?

<font color=blue> That Jesus Christ guy is getting some terrible lag... it took him 3 days to respawn! </font color=blue>

sturm

Splendid
It doesnt really bother me because I know what AMD systems can do to an Intel rig. Many of these shops get paid to advertise only Intel and/or get discounts on Intel chips. Only the uninformed would buy an Intel rig for gameing at this point of the cpu wars.

endyen

Splendid
To be honest with you, the Intel chip isn't that bad. The fact that the system is so choked that the cpu will never see much of a load, saves Intel's butt.
What really blows me away is the "graphics solution" they offer. If it's not an x300, it's a 6200, or a 6600SE.
Let's face it, there are better choices, people just dont take the time to make a good decision.

jmwpom3

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2005
That's kinda my point. I guess it's kinda AMD's point too with the lawsuit, huh?

And endyen, 'not that bad' is hardly synonymous with 'the right reccomendation'. I'm sure that $500 gpu is really happy it's in that Intel machine, right??
Hey, there's a thought. I wonder if there's anyone out there who melted their shiny new vid card with their Pentium D cause they didn't have the fan shroud or the right case? (assuming they didn't pry open the cpu casing to verify the extra core) ;)

*that still makes me laugh.

<font color=blue> That Jesus Christ guy is getting some terrible lag... it took him 3 days to respawn! </font color=blue>

HansGruber

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2005
People who bought a Dell for gaming should ask for a refund.
"Dealer lied that it's best for gaming".

:lol:

<font color=red>"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
- Albert Einstein</font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
That may be true for us, but I think we all forget or have lost sight of the fact that most people couldnt figure out how to take the side panel off of a case. These people dont have a choice but buy something like Dell.

ASUS P5WD2 Premium
Intel 3.73 EE @ 5.6Ghz
XMS2 DDR2 @ 1180Mhz

<A HREF="http://valid.x86-secret.com/records.php?PHPSESSID=792e8f49d5d9b8a4d1ad6f40ca029756" target="_new">#2 CPUZ</A>
SuperPI 25secs

I agree that <b>reputable</b> local PC shops are the best way to go for people that have no inclination to build their own PC. They're more likely to get components that we would put in our systems. That will take some research on behalf of the person buying - as always Buyer Beware and Be Aware.

I agree with Mozz, that Dell is still a good option for a lot of people out there. People are buying support and service as well as the PC. Hopefully they get good service if something goes wrong. If enough people don't get that good service, then the business will eventually go out of business. Bad service, high prices or bad performance may convert the person into an enthusiast. I know that's how I ended up here in 2000 (forgot my orig screenname so I created this new one).