NOT AGAIN, upgrade is hard.....

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
ok problem with buying new rig again..... [-peep-]... i can see from pictures that my monitor's input connector is differnt from the Geforece 6800GT's output... its DVI and my monitor is them old school one (15 pin i believe...).... is there an adaptor??? WTF cuz if so then i'm screwed, my dad got a LCD and i don;t think he'll let me use it......

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You need a DVI-I to VGA adapter block. Most retail cards come with one.

The DVI-I connector contains pins for both DVI and VGA. Some cheaper cards (cheaper than yours) use the DVI-D standard (no VGA) but use the DVI-I connector just because it's cheaper for a company to use one connector on all their cards. Such cheaper cards don't work with the adapter, even though it fits.

Since you don't have a cheap card, you should be fine using the adapter.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
What's the minimum refresh rate to be able to game on a LCD monitor

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
No wait, I said that wrong.
What's the maximum refresh rate to be able to game on a LCD monitor?

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
The old CRTs work great... so don't worry about this one HolyLancer... but if you want to really get plugged into a game, 19" monitors will be in your future.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
yeah but i expect a case or getting better cooler (Xp-120 and panflo) first then go with the screen as it works fine ATM no dimming or anything and i would say that having a crt monitor won;t affect any system performance so its on the bottom of my upgrade list at least for now

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I think you are going to get the rig... set it up with stock cooling... and figure out that you don't need better cooling. Then you are going to save your money for a bit, and buy a 19" monitor... but that is just what I think will happen.

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
16 ms? OK, I was thinking of a 8 ms anyway.
Do you know if there are covers or filters for LCDs?
My son is 1 1/2 and he will probably be poking the LCD and I'm worried that he damages some pixels.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Or you could upgrade from the kid to a new 21" LCD. I hear that the exchange rate on kids is incredible right now... and if his nails are already blunt you could probably get a really good rate if you would market him as an "LCD friendly version".

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Off topic.
Some people are just stupid one of the guys at work was showing off his brand new $1200 HP laptop, and another one of my workmates asked him if the laptop had nvidia or ati, and he turns around and says very proudly no it has an INTEL centrino.
He doesn't even have a clue of what did he buy, of course he's the kind of people that have an Ipod and every other expensive gadget but he doesn't even know how to use them.
He thinks that because he memorizes best buy's leaflets he knows about technology.
Rant over. :mad:

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
LOL!
Yeah I know. Marketing it's like jedi mind tricks it only works with weak minds like his.