Mouse & keyboard only work in startup!

Nic0s411

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Hi! I recently bought a replacement mouse + keyboard. (Both Wireless, use same connector). So, I plugged them in last night, and the keyboard worked in the startup. I log in, and it stops working? I have no way to access any files on that computer since i have no working mouse/keyboard besides the one that wont work on that, so I need a way to fix it without accessing files that are only accessible after login. Thanks.

Nic0s411

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

so I went into bios, all enabled. Reset the settings in the bios too.. still nothing.

Nic0s411

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Tried rear. Nothing. Its not the USB Ports. I also tried using it in safe mode. doesnt work. only the start up :(

Nic0s411

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012

Click choose your OS and pick windows 7. Then it shows the link, but how can i download it without a keyboard or mouse?

LOL -- sorry but have to laugh at the Logitech sites suggestion for fixing it (Logitech Connection Utility!!)

This standalone version of the Logitech Connection Utility program is for use on Windows systems and is not available for Mac. It can be used to reconnect supported keyboards or mice with a replacement receiver or when the connection is lost.

To reconnect your keyboard or mouse to its receiver:

Launch the Connection Utility:
Without SetPoint installed (Windows only):
Download, save and run the Connection Utility.
With SetPoint 4.8 or below installed (Windows only):
Click Start > Run > type "C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPoint\Connect.exe" and press Enter.
With SetPoint 6.0 or 6.15:
Click Start > Run > type "C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\Connect.exe" and press Enter.
With SetPoint 6.20 or above:
Click Start > Run > type "C:\Program Files\Logitech\SetPointP\ConnectUtility.exe" and press Enter.
Follow the onscreen instructions to reconnect your keyboard or mouse.

-- they have you download a utility and type in some things from within window -- How exactly do you do that if the keyboard and mouse are not working !!

@OP -- do you have another keyboard you could use temporarily (PS2 or other wireless) -- If yes try using it instead and then Once inside windows plug in the USB receiver for the new keyboard and see if windows recognizes it as being connected. (it should auto install the driver needed) If it still doesn't work try using the lgitech utility above and see if it fixes it.

Also what MOBO do you have ? look in the BIOS for any settings for the USB ports and ensure that Legacy support is enabled for example on this Gigabyte MOBO there is this option that is diabled by default but should be enabled for windows using a USB port keyboard !
Port 60/64 Emulation
Enables or disables emulation of I/O ports 64h and 60h. This should be enabled for full legacy support for USB keyboards/mice in MS-DOS or in operating system that does not natively support USB devices. (Default: Disabled)

thats just the setpoint software not drivers

setpoint software isnt necessary for it to work--it just gives additional functions

can you test them on another pc?

Nic0s411

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Turned on 60-64 port thingy. Nothing.

Straight from Logitech themselves:

Wireless Desktop MK260

What do I do if I need to constantly reconnect my MK260 mouse and keyboard to the receiver?

Wireless Desktop MK260
Model Number:
Y-R0015 (Keyboard)
M-R0020 (Mouse)

If you have to constantly reconnect your keyboard or your mouse, try the following:

Keep other electrical devices at least 8 inches (20 cm) away from the USB Unifying receiver.
Move the mouse or keyboard closer to the USB Unifying receiver.
Move the USB Unifying receiver to different locations.

Additional Information

The connection between the MK260 mouse, keyboard and the USB receiver can be lost due to several reasons such as:

Low batteries
Moving the USB receiver from one USB port to another
Moving the USB receiver to another computer
Plugging the USB receiver into a USB hub or other unsupported device such as a KVM switch (your USB receiver must be plugged directly into your computer).
Using your wireless mouse/keyboard on metal surfaces
Radio frequency (RF) interference of more powerful wireless devices such as:
Wireless speakers
Computer power supplies
Monitors
Cellular telephones
Garage door openers

If the above solutions do not resolve your problem, consult Knowledge Base article 18056 for instructions on contacting Logitech Technical Support.

If it continues to misbehave, take it back to the store you purchased it from and swap it out.

Newer Logitech devices have the ability to support up to 6 devices with one nano-receiver.

I'm looking to see if I can identify a quick-fix for you.

EDIT: Try this and see if it helps:
1. Remove the batteries from both the mouse and keyboard.
2. Hold a button down on each device (one a at a time) to drain any residual power from the device for about 10 seconds each.
3. Put the batteries back in and see if issue continues.

I got this info from HERE. But knowing that you didn't have mouse or keyboard functionality from within Windows I wanted to make it easy for you.

Nic0s411

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Figured it out....well kind of. I know what the problem is...just not how to fix it. When i plug the keyboard and mice into other computers, on the bottom it says installing bla bla bla. It is not saying that on my build. So it is the drivers. But....I cant get on anything as I have no working mouse/keyboard on it...so how do I get the drivers without access to the internet or anything else?

reconciliasion

Honorable
Dec 26, 2012
okay follow these steps...

[1] boot PC and hit F8 to bring it to boot options

[2] choose safe mode

[3] re-isntall drivers for the mouse and keyboard

[4] use Ccleaner to remove any old registry files

[5] reboot...

He mentioned that it doesn't work in SAFE MODE either so can do step one but that's it !!