Help Make Von's Custom PC!

Von

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Ok with my old computer I run the new first-person shooting games at around 10-20 fps. Now its time to bring myself out of the darkages and into a future of 100fps when I game. I am not very knowledgable when it comes to hardware, however, I did some homework and came up with this basic structure for a gaming pc.

Monarch Furia Custom Desktop with SLI

Case: 100159 - NO PS - Antec Performance One P160 ATX Mi

Power Supply: 100241 - PS 550W - Antec True Power 2 SLI ATX 12V

Motherboard: 110255 - Abit AN8 SLi nForce4 Audio/GB-LAN/USB/IEE

Processor: 120273 - AMD Athlon 64 3700+ 1MB 90nm Rev. E San D

Heat Sink Fan: 130122 - AMD Certified Opteron/64/FX Heatsink

Memory: 140252 - DDR (400) 3200 - 1 GB (2 pcs 512) Corsair

Hard Drive: 150939 - SATAII - Western Digital Caviar SE 250 GB

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM/CD-RW: 160014 - DVD±RW - Lite-On SOHW-1693 16x8x16x-DVD-R

Video Card: 190490 - BFG Geforce 7800 GTX OC 256MB GDDR3/PCI-E

PS: I am unsure whether to get 1gig of ram or 2gigs. I also plan on ordering this from and have it built by monarchcomputers.com, is this a wise choice? If not could you tell me some better sites?

Any imput will be greatly appreciated.

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
How much are you planning to spend on this, from what you picked out seems pretty high?

From what I hear monarch is pretty good, newegg and zipzoomfly are also up there.

Von

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
My budget for this cpu is $3000. So money isnt really a problem. I just want to make sure that all my components work out well together or are lacking in certain areas.

RichPLS

Champion
Fock Monarch building, buy the parts, assemble them yourself, use this forum for how to tips, then brag to everyone that this rig you built with your very own hands and is better than your Dell wanna be PC! It is easy man, way to easy...

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Von

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Fair enough. I have about 50/50 chance of building it myself depending on my schedule. Its just easier to make specs using there website : ). However, I have looked at a few guides to putting together a custom computer. I am fine with everything except the heatsink and cooling grease part. I fear that I might screw that up since I am a newbie at making computers.

However do these components make a good build for a gaming PC?

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
The rig sounds sweet. Rich is right, build it yourself. It's a good feeling when you finish and everything works. There is nothing that is that difficult. If you run into problems, I'm sure everyone here would be more than willing to help you out.

When you finish building, run some benchies and post them here. I would be interested in seeing them

dmroeder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Also, the SLI isn't necessary. Unless of course you plan on buying another 7800 GTX down the road. But if money isn't an issue, then why not. If you end up getting 2 gigs of ram, buy 2 1024's.

RichPLS

Champion
If your not overclocking much or even if you are, buy a retail CPU and it will come with fan and thermal pad included on heatsink. If overclocking, you will want a better cooling solution.

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Sounds like an awesome gaming rig to me. I too recommend you build it yourself. Once you do, I doubt you will have anyone else put their paws into your machines in the future.

Von

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Ok thankyou for the input fellas. I am being told by so many people to save the money and build it myself (I can also get better prices on newegg). To answer your question I am not going to overclock the cpu now... ( I will try it in about 3 years when this thing is outdated so I do not feel bad if I fry something; so that is a lesson to be learned later : ).

PS: you guys better reply fast if I get into any trouble!!! or else!!! jk lol And unfortunatley none of my friends know anything about or care about computers, and thats the way I like it so I can escape from reality into a nice gaming universe.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Most you will probably figure out on your own, just take your time, read the manual a few times that comes with your motherboard and when in doubt ask. Many here will be more then willing to help you get through the build.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Dude, don't let someone say you epenis is small just because you had a system built or pre-tested. Monarch does a great job on this and will help you if you run into problems down the road. Their service is top notch and they stand behind the whole system as well as parts. You won't save that much shopping around and for the amount you're spending, having someone stand behind you is the way to go.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

RichPLS

Champion
My ePenis is tiny compared to my dick!

Von

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
Ok from what I have been reading up in PC-building guides on the web the hardest part of the entire process is doing the cooling agent... after that is pure organization of wires. As long as the motherboard guide has that stuff layed out for me I should be ok. I might post a revised rig to see if that works out better and then order the parts!!

PS: Will building my own computer take me around 2 days if I double check everything I do?

G

Should take around 2 hours fi you double check everything touroughly!
=)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
The hardest part is putting the software on it, and getting all the software updates. That is what takes you the longest. But I know that Monarch doesn't do that for you anyways.

The "cooling grease" part of the build is way to friggin easy for you to be at all concerned about it. You don't even have to do it. You are not going to be OCing so you will be using stock cooling and stock HSF. That means that it comes with the "grease" already in place. You don't need to do anything but clamp the thing on. My wife watched me build my latest rig and she couldn't believe how easy it was. She said "everything only fits in one spot? that is so easy". If my wife can build it, then you can build it. Save yourself some money, and custom it to your own preferences.

P.S. I don't think I would go with this mobo, I would pick the Epox or DFI, and I agree with the SLi comment made above... no need to go SLi unless you intend on buying another 7800 (and those are friggin expensive). And if you go with 2GB of RAM then get it in 2x1GB sticks.