What's The Best BS Story A Seller Has Laid On You???

I've seen a few of these intertwined with other threads. Just thought
I'd put up a post so that we could read them in one place. I KNOW there
are some humorous ones out there.

TheKorn wrote:

> "home use only"

Thats right!! It has been HUO since it came off of location two years
ago!!!

.... Or it has been in a smoke free environment for years!!!

Del

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2001

HUO Space Shuttle,, Since new,,, 3 hour drive & I get to see a flaking
BG & a PF w/ 60 % of the paint gone,,, I pointed this out & the owner
played dumb ( he said it looked nice to him ! ) & I told him he must
not know what "Nice" was,, Thanks but No Thanks & left ,, wasted trip

Pin-Del,

Don't worry about the worn playfield, you can get a "$25 overlay" for
it, and it will look good as new. And lets not forget about the HUO
machine story, that has dirty glove marks all over the bottom of the
cabinet along with "SATAN" carved into the lock down bar.

VERY disappointing when you spend time and money going to look at
something you haven't yet seen, only to find it's junk after the seller
has described it as "Collector Quality" or "HUO".

How 'bout stories of when you have seen and decided to buy a pin and
KNOW what you're getting, but the seller feels he needs to go ahead and
lay on that extra layer of BS to make it sound like he's done you this
HUGE favor?

Collector's shop, '98. Bally Prospector payout pin, $2k price tag. Mold
all over playfield, arch wear ground into pf. "Rare, collectible, worth
every penny." I was like, mold? "That will come out." Oh, and this guy
never had the keys. It was like you were the devil when you asked for keys
to see inside. There was also a Drop A Card with a rag inside that smelled
like gasoline. I don't think they are even in business anymore. I can go on
and on. Lots of stories from there.

Josh
http://www.pingeek.com
Pinball dvds for sale online and at The York Show, 10/7 - 10/8,
http://www.theyorkshow.com

"Bally Tim" <rkandrlover@aol.com> wrote in message
> I've seen a few of these intertwined with other threads. Just thought
> I'd put up a post so that we could read them in one place. I KNOW there
> are some humorous ones out there.

Agreed. When I Ebay or sell something, somebody wants to come look at the
pin. No prob. Take your time. Need more pics. No prob. I am not making
you buy my pin. You don't want it? Your choice. No worries.

As to your second response, Tim, I know this is a bit off topic, but when I
went to my first outdoor drive-in flea market at The Bellwood Drive-In,
there was I think a Bionic Woman lunchbox. The seller was like, oh, I've
seen them go high as $100 or so. Her price tag was like $50-$60 or
something, and 3/4 of it was solid rust. The joke was, she probably got it
for nothing in a bulk cart buy at a Goodwill auction. You bid on a cart of
stuff, some good, some junk, or a lot of tv's. It's actually pretty cool if
they still do it real time and not online exclusively. And no, don't ask
for pinball machines. They have no clue. They think a pinball machine is a
toy wall hanging.

> VERY disappointing when you spend time and money going to look at
> something you haven't yet seen, only to find it's junk after the seller
> has described it as "Collector Quality" or "HUO".
>
> How 'bout stories of when you have seen and decided to buy a pin and
> KNOW what you're getting, but the seller feels he needs to go ahead and
> lay on that extra layer of BS to make it sound like he's done you this
> HUGE favor?

all these warm fuzzy stories are getting me excited for the next pin I
go look at to buy.

hey Tim,

once was told by a local seller here in Denver that he had a Wizard
that was all original and had only been in his home. this guy must
have played about 40,000 games on it because there was no way that
game was a HUO. the center of the playfield was shot and some coils
were hanging down from the underside of the playfield. I asked him
what was the deal with the coils hanging down and he said the game
"came that way." yeah, sure it did. straight from the factory I
imagine.

he also had a Pinbot that he said a friend of his bought brand new and
he was just selling it for him. that game was so shot that I couldn't
imagine getting it that way on purpose using rusty pinballs. he wanted
2,000 for it, because as he called it - "it's a unique game." It was
unique allright. never saw any game that bad except for one in Ohio at
a "barn sale." don't remember the name of the game, just remember
that it had the body of a petrified dead rat that was the size of a
small pig inside the game box. It had been "lovingly" stored in a barn
until the guy found more room inside the house. I passed on that one.

steve

"Bally Tim" <rkandrlover@aol.com> wrote in news:1127345036.882169.313130
@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

> I've seen a few of these intertwined with other threads. Just thought
> I'd put up a post so that we could read them in one place. I KNOW there
> are some humorous ones out there.

"home use only"

This isn't a story about an actual "seller", but a wanna be "quick cash
scam artist".

I sold a junker Night Rider to a guy for $100. He wanted a project,
and it definately was.

About a three months later I get a call from a guy, who got my number
from a local vendor. He had a "very rare" Night Rider that he would
"sacrifice" for a grand. He would ask more but it's not working right
now, but should be an easy fix. The game is worth much more.

The vendor told him I was looking for "a game". I asked him how long he
had it and he said about 10 years. He said it was in pristine shape
for it's age. When I asked him how I could see it, he said he would
bring it right over because he knew I would want it once I seen it.
OK. I gotta see this and make this yo-yo work.

He shows up with the game, three legs, cut power cord, and no
backglass. I looked at it and I asked him, "isn't there supposed be be
a glass with artwork in the backbox"? First he said this model did not
have one. Then he acted like he mis-understood and told me he lent it
to a friend to take a picture of it and he would drop it off next week.
He then started to tell me how the artwork was done and how all the
parts were still available. He said he cut the power cord, for safety
reasons, so no one would try to play it until it was fixed because it
could damage the expensive circuit boards inside. ?

He then told me, he was told, it used a standard "apple cpu" which made
it highly desirable and easily repaired. Nothing can hurt those! He
just contradicted himself.

This was the game I sold months before as a project to someone else for
$100. This moron did not even look at the sticker on the trayliner.
It had my phone number on it.

I finally got tired of screwing with the guy and told him I knew the
games history, showed him my sticker on the trayliner, and told him he
was full of mularky. He got pissed, called me a bunch of names, and
drove off.

I called the guy I sold it to. He told me he sold it to a guy for $25
at his garage sale. He broke the backglass so he decided to just get
rid of it.

I love this hobby! It's so entertaining, even when they don't work.

Mario
Pinthetic

BillB

that must have been fun!

--
billb
Since time immemorial, the powerful have used religion to distract
<Pinthetic@gmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
for
> $100. This moron did not even look at the sticker on the
trayliner.
> It had my phone number on it.
>
> I finally got tired of screwing with the guy and told him I knew
the
> games history, showed him my sticker on the trayliner, and told him
he
> was full of mularky. He got pissed, called me a bunch of names,
and
> drove off.
>
> I called the guy I sold it to. He told me he sold it to a guy for
$25
> at his garage sale. He broke the backglass so he decided to just
get
> rid of it.
>
> I love this hobby! It's so entertaining, even when they don't

WOW! That's the BEST one yet Mario!

I'm at a loss for words regarding that guy! It's funny as hell though
that you busted him like that, LOL! That's GREAT!

There was a Pinbot at a laundrymat here in town. Ball would not kick out
unless you shook the hell out of the game. It was unplugged everytime I
came in and a giant trash can was in front of it. All the plastic were
beyond wasted. This thing was trashed. I cut it off and back on and had to
go through like 10 or more switch errors just to play it. The shooter rod
was so rusted you could barely launch the ball. It was bad. I still have
flashbacks....man. "Oh, the humanity."

--

wrote:

>I've seen a few of these intertwined with other threads. Just thought
>I'd put up a post so that we could read them in one place. I KNOW there
>are some humorous ones out there.

"Simple touch-up"

wrote:

>I've seen a few of these intertwined with other threads. Just thought
>I'd put up a post so that we could read them in one place. I KNOW there
>are some humorous ones out there.

Bought a child-sized pin (Bell Ringer) on ebay. Supposed to be
complete. Terrible pics. No surprisingly, this Gottlieb-Premier game
was missing the cpu board. But, in its place was screwed a Bally -35
CPU. I didn't complain, I just took it home. No sense in arguing with
him, especially since I paid less than $100 for it.

Craig

along with the simple touch up goes "probably just a fuse or loose
wire"

how about "soldering the wires to the connectors makes it more reliable
instead of replacing the connector"

(I guess that one's sort of true but ruins the servicability of game
anyway)

Response to email on Ebay listing: No, it's not working right now, but
there is a button you push on the inside to reset everything.

On what turned out to be a home model: I have a friend in the antiques
business who says it's worth two or three thousand dollars.

Visit to check out a local ad: My father was playing it this morning
and everything was working. Too bad he's not here to show you how to
make it work.

Horse themed game, not sure of the title becuase the BG was flaking so
badly, PF pieces loose under the glass, and legs 'around here
somewhere': I'm asking $150, but I know I could get 10 times that much
if I took this to a horse show.

Ebay auction, local seller, emial response: The game is in 100%
working condition and looks beautiful. No, you cannot see it until
after the auction ends due to a number of appointments.

The most fun about these kind of comments is trying to figure out if
the person is sincere, and just that ignorant of the pinball world, or
is really trying to put one over on me.

I like that last one! Basically saying, "Buy it first, then you can
come look at it.", LOL!

The best I probably ever got was when I was buying a used game from an
operator about 5 years ago and he was trying to tell me that Sega "Space
Jam" pins were going only going to go up in value and would be worth about
$5000 in a couple of years because Michael Jordan was on the backglass. So
he didn't want to part with any of his 5 or 6 Space Jams (but he was sure
getting rid of Addams Family, Fish Tales, Creatures, and the like, as quick
as he could- go figure).

The "most common" BS in general that I usually hear is from people trying to
sell or trade-in used games. I usually try to feel people out on the phone
to see what kind of condition and what they want to get for a game, and
usually tell them what book value is- and how value relates to actual
condition- it usually goes like this:

"The book shows an average condition value of $500. That's if it's in good
overall shape and working. Probably worth about $300 if it's got any wear
and tear like nicks and scratches on the cabinet, wear spots on the
playfield, or needs an overhaul- cleaning, waxing, new rubber rings, light
bulbs, balls..."

"Aw, it don't got none o' that- it's in gorgeous shape."

Then I get out there to see/buy it and start pointing out all the
thumb-sized wear spots on the playfield and asking who's initials these are
carved into the cabinet, etc., etc.

"I didn't notice that."

Everybody's stuff is always "mint"....

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC
Salt Lake City, Utah USA

"chuckster" <crrogers@ptd.net> wrote in message
> Don't worry about the worn playfield, you can get a "$25 overlay" for
> it, and it will look good as new. And lets not forget about the HUO
> machine story, that has dirty glove marks all over the bottom of the
> cabinet along with "SATAN" carved into the lock down bar.

That gets my vote for best one, too- how could you keep a straight face with
that guy? :)

Ray J.
--

> WOW! That's the BEST one yet Mario!
>
> I'm at a loss for words regarding that guy! It's funny as hell though
> that you busted him like that, LOL! That's GREAT!

This is a copy paste from a previous thread that I shared this story,
but it fits here, and I think it's amusing, so I'll paste it in.

---------------
I posted an ad a while back on a local user group specific to free
stuff. I knew I might get calls from people not wanting to give them
away, but I was prepared for it.

Had a guy call me. Told me it wasn't free... Continued on with his
description. It was a Bally Freedom. Didn't work. I'm still ok with
paying something for it... no biggie. Then he says it's missing the
"scoring part" I'm assuming the head. I'm still ok with paying a
little something for it for parts. Then he says it's not got the
original legs, but they nailed 2x4's to the side of it so it would be
the right height to be a coffee table. ??? Ok, still worth a few
bucks.

So I ask what he wants for it.... $150 is the answer.

I politely told him I wasn't looking to spend that much.

He piped up "It's worth $3000!"

How I kept from arguing with him, I'm not sure, but I declined again.
I guess it's my loss huh?

MitchelWB

Ray Johnson - Action Pinball wrote:
> That gets my vote for best one, too- how could you keep a straight face with
> that guy? :)

Isn't it funny how at some instance you can actually keep a straight
face. With me there is an interesting parallel. I can't donate blood
without passing out. But I can stumble upon a bad traffic accident and
handle bloody people and injuries, and be just fine. Wierd isn't it.

Mario
Pinthetic