t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Hello, I apologize if this post is in the wrong forum. I am wondering about various cable connections to the motherboard. This is the first time I am building a computer and first time using SATA cables. I am curious on issues such as connecting fans (some have the 3 pin connection along with 2 female/male 4 pin/hole parts), connecting SATA HD, and connecting the neccesary wire/cables from my PSU to HD, floppy, CD/DVD rom and motherboard.
My computer:

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI MOBO
WD 74GB 10k rpm Raptor
NEC IDE DVD Burner
San Diego 3700+
OCZ Powerstream 520W PSU
1GB Crucial Ballistix PC3200
Sony Floppy Drive
ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan
Thermaltake Soprano Case
Arctic Silver :)

The DFI mobo is a real treat however it came with a million different cables, the same goes for the PSU. Any help is greatly appreciated even links to websites for building a rig such as this. Any suggestions?

P.S. Look forward to another post about the BIOS :D

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
first nice system, second this would be better at the hard drive forum, because the ppl there are more experinced at these things (although this forum is the most populated forum so, if in dought here is a good place)

third i will try to answer this (from the answers from the hdd forum :p) the DFI Lanparty is the board i'm going to get and i have read the manual and i think all lanparty NF4s have their SATA connects ar the bottom right (close to the 5.25 and 3.5 bays, lookes much smaller compared the the IDE and FDD connectors), as for SATA wires, i have no idea, i guess you will have to try and fit each one into the slots on the mobo and the HDD (don't force them, because your are tying to see which one fit, ttry one of the smaller connector yellow qire first as that the SATA connector on the mobo are small), As for the floppy you need to connect the floppy drive to the FDD (or FDC depending how you say it...), it is located above the SATA connectors, again i don;t know which wire (i use them flat wires, not these nice rounded wires :p), the cd/dvd rom can be fitted onto the IDE connecto on the mobo (near middle right where two long slots are located together (a bit up from the FDD connector)
and plug in the IDE wires (again i only have flat cables can't help ya here until i get my DFI UT lanparty NF4 ultra-D), now onto power supply, the floppy (if i remember correctly) is a 3 pin very small connector, it comes out of the PSU, and it fits usually on the right of the floppy wire connecto, the cd/dvd drive is a 4 pin connector, the red line goes on so that it will be closest to the IDE connector (on the big cables it was that the red line from the IDE cable is parralle (spelling) with the 4 pin power cord's redline). and i have no idea which power cord is for the SATA because i don;t got one currently to play around with.

hope this helped :)

o and how ya mange to get the 7700 CU on there? i can;t understand the Zalman site when it said something about it can fit on the the DFI board w/o something....

<b>remember that this could be all wrong as that i do not have any actual experince with these items (still need to order me parts) and that i'm only providing what information i could understand from bugging the forum vets :) and w/e else i remebered, might wana check all this with a HDD/perhieral vet b4 ya do anything just to be safe</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by TheHolyLancer on 07/24/05 02:22 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Thanks a lot I appreciate it. I had an idea on where things went based on common sense and I guess I wasn't too far off the mark :). As for the Zalman, it does fit fine because the ram slots go from 4,3,2,1 away from the chip so the first 3 i beleive can be used.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
oic so that is what they men on the website....... i got completly lost at their website, i be going dual channel anywas so shouldn;t brother me, unless i get a XP-120 lol