Is this monitor a good one for gaming and general use.

NoviceNob

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2011
Hello, just a simple question. I am going to buy two new monitors. I will be doing lots of gaming but work on the computer a lot too. This monitor has a response time of 8ms, that is my only concern. I will not be gaming with all the high setting, just middle settings, the games will be BF3 and COD MW3, maybe a few other FPS games. I will also be building a new computer, about $US1,800 worth with a 670 graphics card, maybe SLI, not sure. I will also be buying TWO monitors, maybe three but I don't think so as I have read so many problems with three monitors. I want to use Displayport for the hook ups. Any questions just ask. :)

Thank you for your time. :)

Dell UltraSharp U2412M Monitor with LED

DISPLAY
Diagonal Viewable Size:
24" (60.96 cm) viewable area
Aspect Ratio
Widescreen (16:10)
Panel Type, Surface:
IPS (In-Plane Switching), anti glare with hard coat 3H
Optimal Resolution:
1920 x 1200 at 60 Hz
Contrast Ratio:
1000 : 1 (typical)
2,000,000:1 (dynamic)
Dynamic Contrast Ratio:
2 million:1 (Max)
Brightness:
300 cd/m2 (typical)
Response Time:
8ms (gray to gray) Typical
Max Viewing Angle (vertical/horizontal)
178º / 178º
Color Support:
16.7 million colors
Color Gamut
82% (CIE 1976)
Pixel Pitch:
0.27 mm
Device Type
Widescreen Flat Panel Display

CONNECTIVITY
1 Digital Visual Interface connectors (DVI-D) with HDCP
1 DisplayPort(DP)
1 Video Graphics Array (VGA)
1 USB 2.0 upstream port
4 USB 2.0 downstream ports
D

Solution
The UltraSharp series are very good monitors. Don't worry about the response time. I use an IPS monitor with what I think is a 10 or 12ms response time and don't see any issues in games or movies.

I don't see how they could say that based on the resolution. The 2408WFP and the U2412M both have 1920x1200 resolution, though prad.de indicates the 2408WFP is 0.1 inches bigger on the diagonal. If they were talking about the static contrast, I can believe that, since the 2408WFP is an S-PVA panel whereas the U2412M is an e-IPS panel. However, TFT Central measured the 2408WFP's input lag as averaging 64.1 ms, so I can't recommend it for gaming. The input lag for the U2412M was measured as 9.4 ms average.

We use Dell WFP 2208 for gaming - Black Ops, Crisis, FS - very satisfied with the performance.

I was looking for a 24" monitor and used Dell chat to get their recommendations as to which of the two above mentioned monitors was sharper. (I didn't have the specs of either).

The 2208WFP is a TN panel, and doesn't have the extra inputs that the 2408WFP does - the 2408WFP has composite and s-video inputs, so the deinterlacer for those could be adding to the input lag even when the signal doesn't really need deinterlacing.