Driver installation problem TP Link

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Sup guys,

I have a really odd problem with a build I've just completed, shame really because everything fired up nice but Windows 7 is giving me grief.

So, the pc is upstairs and I really cannot get downstairs to connect the thing direct to the roughter, my problem is when I plug my Wireless TP TL-WN422G dongle into the USB, Windows 7 automatically tries to install drivers for it and fails,
then when I try to install the real drivers from the homepage (Downloaded on another PC and transferred on usb) Windows says it has determined that the best driver are already installed but the device is unknown in device manager.

This is happening even though Windows cannot recognise the device, so I can't stop Windows from auto installing from printers and devices because that option is only available for recognised devices.

This all just seems really silly to be honest, there is no exe in the driver folder so that's not an option either, another strange thing is that windows also says that there are no drivers currently installed nor are any needed but in the next breath says the best ones are already installed and blocks my manual install.

Who would of thought installing some drivers would be such a pain in the neck?

I need my interwebs :pt1cable:

Any help guys?

Thanks.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
uninstall the driver for that tp link dongle after do not plug it in isntall the driver then they should ask you to plug in the dongle also check if the mac address of this dongle is permit in your router.

cklaubur

Distinguished
If there is a .inf file with the drivers, try pointing Windows to the driver folder (Device Manager, Device Properties, Driver tab, "Update Drivers" button, and click "Browse my computer for drivers")

Casey

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Yeah that's my problem, I have tried doing that but Windows says that the device already has the best drivers for the device even though it's classed as an unknown device.

And when I uninstall the driver from the device it vanishes from device manager, at that point I have to unplug the TP dongle from the PC, reconnect, just for Windows to go ahead and reinstall bad drivers.

From there we are back to square one, it's like a vicious loop, Windows is giving me no apparent angle to install the drivers.

Strange thing is I have a Laptop and another desktop in the house with Windows 7 and had no issue installing the drivers.

Again I cannot stop Windows from auto installing the drivers when an item is plugged in because that option is only available for device Windows recognises.

I'm desperate for another angle to get this sorted because I'm stumped.

Cheers.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
Yes I have mate,

It's is shown as an unknown device so when I try to install any other driver or anything it just says that there are no drivers currently installed nor are any needed or something to that effect.

I only have any option in there with items that are recognised including the option to stop windows from auto searching for drivers, that option would solve this but it's not available to me.

This is all extremely frustrating, will I really have to buy another dongle? and if I do what stops it from doing the same?

Patience as we can only type so fast :)

I agree, we really need to get the make/model of the TP Dongle you are using so that we can narrow down the odds. Typing TP Dongle in Google would prove rather interesting.... :eek:

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012
The modal number is

TL-WN422G

I'm not really sure how the modal type would help open another angle up to install the drivers but I'm no computer buff, just an average user.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Well that's the whole issue I'm having, I cannot install the driver before the device in inserted, there is no exe.

ChipButty

Honorable
Sep 2, 2012

Hi

Did you read my posts? I've tried with the original disks and from the site, there is no exe and trying to install them from device manager fails due to Windows automatically installing it's own drivers which results in

"Windows has determined that the best software is already installed for this device" even though windows did a crap job at installing good drivers because the device is unknown to Windows.

If I go ahead and uninstall the bad drivers for the unknown device the device completely disappears from the system leaving me no option to install the good drivers by pointing the device to the files.

If I go in printers and other devices I cannot stop Windows from auto installing drivers for the device because that option is only available for KNOWN devices.

This is not me just being silly, I have been using and building PC's for over 10 years but cannot think of any other angle to get the drivers installed.

Nathan.

System Requirements Windows 7(32/64bits), Windows Vista(32/64bits), Windows XP(32/64bits), Windows 2000

I was gonna suggest it might be a compatibility issue with the OS but apparently not.

I'm assuming this is a desktop considering its a USB dongle you're trying to use. Be sure the motherboard doesn't have an integrated wi-fi chip on it. I had one other issue like this years ago when those things started coming out and the issue was strikingly similar to this one in that it acted the same way and it was actually butting heads with the integrated wi-fi module. We turned it off in BIOS and the driver took on the next reboot. Freaky weird. :eek:

Just for kicks and giggles, what is the make/model # of your computer that you're trying to use the adapter on? Mainly wanting to know the motherboard type.

You can use either CPU-Z or Speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccyhttp://www.piriform.com/speccy to take the guess work out for you.

walisheikh

Honorable
Jan 7, 2013

having the same issue. same OS, same dongle. tried disabling my built-in atheros wlan card on my asus laptop and rebooting, drivers still didn't take. let me know if you find anything. i've been doing this for a while, and i'm defeated.

pddpopo

Reputable
Dec 29, 2014
Hi
Try switching off your computers power supply till the capacitors of the motherboard are discharged
.After that switch on your computer and install your adapter..
I had the same problem and It worked for me