t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I just built a brand new computer today and already the thing is restarting on its own. I have a DFI Lanparty with a 2.2GHZ San Diego and 1gig of crucial ballistix ram. After a little while of using the comp it just randomly restarts. It seems like it would be a temperature issue but I have a zalman 120mm fan on it to cool it down. I just applied the paste today and also check the temp of the cpu right after it shuts off and it says its 32 degrees. Why is this thing just restarting like this? I was able to snag one of the problem descriptions off of the "windows has recovered from a serious error" it says

BCCode : 1000008e BCP1 : C0000005 BCP2 : 088F7702 BCP3 : 84FE2C30
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

Any suggestions?

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
run memtest86. Im 95% certain it will show errors. If so, the cpu/mb doesnt like your ram. try reseating them, relaxing timings, updating the bios.. or swapping the sticks if the problem persists.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
The bios said before it started up windows that dual channel runs in dimm slots 2 and 4 and single in slots 1 and three i believe. I have dual channel ram so i put it in 2 and 4. The problem persisted and wouldn't even let me into windows it just loads now at the logon on screen when i click my name and finally i get a windows explorer crash error. Is this still the ram's fault?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
When the computer starts up it says use one stick of memory in dimm slot 2 for single channel operation and 2 sticks in dimm's 2 and 4 for dual channel. When I did the slots 2 and 4 its when i got the errors. Right now im just working on slot 2 with single channel @ 512mb. Is it really that difficult to get RAM running correctly? I figured it would be almost plug and play. I heard someone say to adjust the timing and voltage and what not but I'm not that experienced yet. I have the crucial ballistix pc 3200 2x512mb. Any suggestions?

Try slots 1 and 3. Run CPU-z to see if you're running dual channel.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
When I restarted the computer with the ram in slots 1 and 3 it gives me a warning saying about slot 2 for single channel and 2 and 4 for dual.

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
Here are some links that might help.

1. <A HREF="http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=24010" target="_new">http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=24010</A>
2. <A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317277" target="_new">http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=317277</A>
3. <A HREF="http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1056424505" target="_new">http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1056424505</A>

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I raised to 2.8 volts and I don't know if It is stable. i can't run memtest because I don't have the floppy drive yet. I did run super pi however and get an exact round error. From what I hear, that means that the computer isn't stable. Is this true? I really want to use this 1gb in dual channel as opposed to a 512 mb stable in single channel.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
hmmm could it be a faulty mobo? i mean after reading the DFI Lanparty UT NF4 ultra-D i saw this chart (in page 21 of the manual, can be obtained <A HREF="http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/manual_download_us.jsp?PRODUCT_ID=3471&CATEGORY_TYPE=LP&SITE=NA" target="_new">here</A>
(can;t copy and past a chart.....

but in the manual it says that DDR400 dual channel is in slot 1 and slot 3 and DDR333 dual channel is in slot 1 and 2 or all four slots...

BTW just asking did ya mix up the slot numbers? happened to me once cuz i thoigh slot 1 was 4 and 4 was 1... the stick was a 512 mb and my mobo only supported 512 in slot 1 and 2 so i had to go and change them :p

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I don't think i have them mixed up (i hope not). I have the DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR, not the UT version. I will try moving around all the memory. The memory is rated as 2-2-2-6, should i go into the bios and adjust it to that or leave the settings on auto?

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o nice and well if ya read the manual carefully its for all lanparty mobo with the NF4 chipset and it does include the DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR (the one i wanted to get but couldn;t cuz too expensive.. and the DFI Lanparty nF4 UT ultra-DR version is not avaible at anitec, which is a better prriced one with 8 SATA connectors...)

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I have the manual along with a nice large panphlet that shows the dimm slots from 1 to 4 going towards the proccessor. i have a floppy drive now going to try memtest.

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
well I ran the program memtest located at http://hcidesign.com/memtest/ and I was immediatley plagued with errors along with a crash and reboot. I am infuriated right now because nothing is working. I don't know if its the ram, the mobo, the psu, the anything at this point. Just shelled out lots of cash to a computer that is down right dissin me.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
ouch man i would be mad if my upgrade is like this.....
i would think that the RAM is compatable with the DFI lanparties as that ppl have suggested that to me when i was lookig for advice on what ram to get and they said that it was great on they system... RAM seperatly you said in the mobo so i'm gona say that the RAM is good, and that leaves PSU or mobo and at this point i'm gona guess mobo? i mean there is no definitive way of knowing unless somone had experince with these things..

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I think tommorow I'm going to try to run the ram in my cousin's computer to see how it performs. I don't know what the exact problem is with the computer. First I get a defective keyboard, my monitor got scratched yesterday, PSU almost exploded, and now this. I am gettting my nvidia 7800 GTX very shortly from dell small businesses. If this thing is defective, I think I'm going to kill myself. If the ram does work on cousins computer, should I try his ram in my mobo?

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
I really do like this RAM. I do have a feeling like everyone else that it could be messed up. I'm going to try each stick at a time and see if I get errors. If so, I guess I'll get the same kind or maybe try some ocz out. ...sigh time to listen to some linkin park and cry myself to sleep...

t33lo

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005
Well this is the data I gathered. One stick has many errors, the other has none. I am assuming one stick is bad and that is why it doesn't work when I use both in dual channel (dimm 2 and 4). Lets just hope that this isn't bad dimms on mobo and bad ram. I can't use one stick in each slot because only slot 2 is used for single channel. Feeling a little better :)

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
Check this out:

http://techgage.com/review.php?id=1763&page=8

I have definitely had my share of issues with the board as well though. The Ultra-D is known as a fussy board when it comes to memory, and I have found that to be absolutely true. I have tried three different sets of memory in the board over the month, and it's been somewhat fussy with each set. The original set was a standard value ram, Samsung DDR400. This would cause the entire computer to spontaniously reboot. It wouldn't matter what you were doing, but the problem was heightened when playing games.

The other two sets of memory have both been Crucial Ballistix PC3200 and PC4000, both 2 * 512MB. As mentioned in our PC3200 review, the memory would return an error free MemTest only if we used a lower than specific voltage. So, instead of using the recommended 2.8v, we stuck with 2.6 at stock timings.

With the current set, PC4000, MemTest will still return errors, even at stock speeds.. even with lowered Voltages. Since I have had issues with both sets of Ballistix, I don't believe that it's a memory issue, but rather a board glitch. I have used both versions, 2 and 3 of oskar wu's BIOS, neither of which rid the errors. Since Ballistix memory doesn't really fit into either of those BIOS catagories, that could be why. Crucial has told me that they have had zero issues with the Ballsitix and Ultra-D in their labs.. so it's odd that I am. In the future though, I may be surprised, if it's due to a PSU issue (Ultra X-Finity 600W). So at this time, I can't totally blame it on the motherboard

RMA the board.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =