Palm Zire 72 Navigation Pak

January 11, 2005 10:24:54 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have a vintage sports car (MGA) and like to take it for drives.
Spontaneously following small country roads is lots of fun until its time to
go home when, inevitably, it takes me forever to find my way back home.

I'm in need of a new PDA anyway so I'm thinking of purchasing the GPS bundle
offered by Palm. It consists of the Zire 72, Tomtom Navigator software, and
Bluetooth GPS receiver. Does anyone know who makes that receiver and if
it's any good? The bundled price after rebate, on the Palm website, is
about $400. It seems to be a good deal but I want to make sure it's a
reasonably good system. Don't need to get even more lost than I already do.

Thanks.

....JS
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 9:06:03 AM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <w7_Ed.23189$sf5.14068@lakeread05>, "js148" <js148@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm in need of a new PDA anyway so I'm thinking of purchasing the GPS bundle
> offered by Palm. It consists of the Zire 72, Tomtom Navigator software, and
> Bluetooth GPS receiver. Does anyone know who makes that receiver and if
> it's any good? The bundled price after rebate, on the Palm website, is
> about $400. It seems to be a good deal but I want to make sure it's a
> reasonably good system. Don't need to get even more lost than I already do.

You may also want to compare this package with the Garmin iQue (sp?).
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 2:21:07 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

>The big advantage of the Bluetooth + Zire 72 approach is that the GPS
can
>sit where it can see the sky

No that's the big advantage of the MGA ;)

What's the batterly life of that combination vs. the marginal (4
hours?) of th ique? MGA's (like TR3s) have positive ground and no
cig. lighter.

Art
January 12, 2005 2:27:46 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

>I have a vintage sports car (MGA) and like to take it for drives.
>Spontaneously following small country roads is lots of fun until its
time to
>go home when, inevitably, it takes me forever to find my way back
home.
Can't you just follow the oil trail back? ;)

Art (TR3 owner)
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 6:33:43 PM

"mcewena" <art.mcewen@moh.gov.on.ca> wrote in message
> >The big advantage of the Bluetooth + Zire 72 approach is that the GPS
> can
>>sit where it can see the sky
>
> No that's the big advantage of the MGA ;)
>
> What's the batterly life of that combination vs. the marginal (4
> hours?) of th ique? MGA's (like TR3s) have positive ground and no
> cig. lighter.
>
> Art

Well, it seems that I have discovered some MGA aficionados . Just this week
Agatha (yes, she has a name that suits her very well) was converted over to
negative ground. Now I can put in a cigarette lighter and not worry about
recharging my cell phone or, hopefully, GPS.
Anonymous
January 12, 2005 8:53:51 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 06:06:03 +0000, in article
<guy-1101052206070001@192.168.1.100> guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

> In article <w7_Ed.23189$sf5.14068@lakeread05>, "js148" <js148@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm in need of a new PDA anyway so I'm thinking of purchasing the GPS bundle
>> offered by Palm. It consists of the Zire 72, Tomtom Navigator software, and
>> Bluetooth GPS receiver. Does anyone know who makes that receiver and if
>> it's any good? The bundled price after rebate, on the Palm website, is
>> about $400. It seems to be a good deal but I want to make sure it's a
>> reasonably good system. Don't need to get even more lost than I already do.
>
> You may also want to compare this package with the Garmin iQue (sp?).

The big advantage of the Bluetooth + Zire 72 approach is that the GPS can
sit where it can see the sky at the same time that the Zire can sit where
you can see its display! That could be important!

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 2:25:14 AM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"mcewena" <art.mcewen@moh.gov.on.ca> wrote:

>What's the batterly life of that combination vs. the marginal (4
>hours?) of th ique?

Don't know about the combination, but the Zire72 is not good for much over 4
hours continuous on its own battery.
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 8:02:42 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:25:14 +0000, in article
<8bcbu01q4as1mhspn5thm70afovp69bk24@4ax.com> AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com>
wrote:

> "mcewena" <art.mcewen@moh.gov.on.ca> wrote:
>
>>What's the batterly life of that combination vs. the marginal (4
>>hours?) of th ique?
>
> Don't know about the combination, but the Zire72 is not good for much over 4
> hours continuous on its own battery.

I was assuming that anything you use in a vehicle will have external
power supplied, if not there is little chance it will be usable at night
for very long...

--

Brian Morrison

please observe reply-to address
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 4:06:30 AM

Brian Morrison <scrapspam@fenrir.org.uk> wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 23:25:14 +0000, in article
><8bcbu01q4as1mhspn5thm70afovp69bk24@4ax.com> AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> "mcewena" <art.mcewen@moh.gov.on.ca> wrote:
>>
>>>What's the batterly life of that combination vs. the marginal (4
>>>hours?) of th ique?
>>
>> Don't know about the combination, but the Zire72 is not good for much over 4
>> hours continuous on its own battery.
>
>I was assuming that anything you use in a vehicle will have external
>power supplied, if not there is little chance it will be usable at night
>for very long...

I was assuming that since mcewena was asking about *battery life* he wasn't
thinking about using it in a vehicle...
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 1:23:37 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I was and I wasn't.

MGA's come with 6volt positive ground so plugging into the cigeratte
lighter for power isn't an option unless you do a conversion such as JS
has.

I have a TR3 with positive ground as well (12 volt at least) and the
one and only time I tried to plug in my cell phone to a reversed cig
lighter I blew the phone charger.

Therefore I was hoping for something with enough battery capacity for a
day's drive without being plugged into car power. looks like the Quest
for me.
Anonymous
January 14, 2005 7:26:14 PM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hope this isn't getting too off topic but ...

You might consider a portable Coleman Powermate with a a 12v charging
outlet. Don't know for a fact but suspect it can charge a cell phone or GPS
many times over. Just sitting in the car, it seems to hold a charge forever
(I would charge it every 6 months although it never seemed to need it). I
have model # PMJ8960 which is the compact version for $30. It's perfect for
charging your GPS or cell phone in an emergency. It has booster cables and
light so even now, after converting to negative ground, I'll keep it in the
car.

JS

>I was and I wasn't.
>
> MGA's come with 6volt positive ground so plugging into the cigeratte
> lighter for power isn't an option unless you do a conversion such as JS
> has.
>
> I have a TR3 with positive ground as well (12 volt at least) and the
> one and only time I tried to plug in my cell phone to a reversed cig
> lighter I blew the phone charger.
>
> Therefore I was hoping for something with enough battery capacity for a
> day's drive without being plugged into car power. looks like the Quest
> for me.

Anonymous
January 15, 2005 11:23:10 AM

Archived from groups: sci.geo.satellite-nav,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Not a bad idea, thanks.
!