Problem running FTP server in passive mode

Last response: in Networking
Share
October 4, 2004 1:14:09 AM

Hi

How do I set up port forwarding to run a ftp server to
work in passive mode ?

I´ve configured my ftp server software (running in WIN 98
SE) to work with passive ports 5000-5049 and in my MN700
base setup I´ve configured a persistant forward ports
5000-5049 to private ports 5000-5049 and port 21 to
private port 21 to my internal IP address.

I can connect and client and server are talking, but I
can´t list ftp content or establish a file tranfer.

I´ve noticed that server answers the PASV command with
the correct port (5000), but client receives a different
answer (port 1024).

I´ve read in some post that in por forwarding data is
sent in one port and received in a different port. Is
this true ?

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks

Jorge
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 4:19:44 AM

Did you tel your ftp server program to use the WAN ip for the passive mode
ip?

If that isn't done, it won't work.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Jorge" <jorge_j@pobox.com> wrote in message
[...]

October 9, 2004 4:22:04 PM

Hi Jason

I did this and the IP address in the PASV answer is OK.
The issue is about the port number in the passive answer.

If I don´t configure the port forwarding for the passive
ports range, the port number in the answer received by
the client it´s ok (but in this case client can´t access
FTP server because de passive ports are not forwarded).
If I configure the port forwarding for the passive ports
range, the port number received in the client for the
PASV command is not in the passive range defined in the
FTP server. Seems to me that the router is translating
the port number to a wrong port.

Jorge

October 9, 2004 10:30:34 PM

The router does not translate the ports at all

So long as your forwarded range of ports goes to the same range of ports on
the pc, there shouldn't be problems

ie ports 40000-40049 on the public ip -> 40000-40049 on the private ip will
work
ports 40000-40049 on the public ip -> any other range of 50 ports will
likley not work

--

Hi Jason

I did this and the IP address in the PASV answer is OK.
The issue is about the port number in the passive answer.

If I don´t configure the port forwarding for the passive
ports range, the port number in the answer received by
the client it´s ok (but in this case client can´t access
FTP server because de passive ports are not forwarded).
If I configure the port forwarding for the passive ports
range, the port number received in the client for the
PASV command is not in the passive range defined in the
FTP server. Seems to me that the router is translating
the port number to a wrong port.

Jorge

October 11, 2004 8:21:02 PM

Jason

That´s exactly the point !!!

I´ve did forwarded the range 4000-4049 to public 4000-
4049, but is not working. The PASV port number received
in the client is different of the PASV port sent by
server.

What can be wrong ?

I´m wondering if I can use a D-Link wired router (wich I
know that works fine regarding ports forwarding) to work
as my router and use my MN700 as a wireless hub for my
notebooks, like the scheme below:

Cable modem > DLink Router > MN700
> FTP server

Is it possible ? How should I proceed to ? Should I
conect the MN700 WAN port to the DLINK LAN port ?

Thanks

Jorge

Anonymous
October 11, 2004 11:39:37 PM

Sounds like you have the router configured right.

Two other places to check (both in your FTP server configuration).

i) is your ftp server using your router's WAN ip for passive mode
ii) is your ftp server set to use 4000-4049 for passive mode (if I were you,
I'd use something higher... definitely above 5000, i'd say use
50000-50049... if you do make this change, you'll also have to make the
corresponding change in your persistent port forward page on the router)

--

!