Intel Delays CPUs With iGFX Until 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
They may be making the greatest cgpu ever made (cause itll be the ONLY one ever made ) in Larrabee, but to me this only shows Intel doesnt know how to make a decent igp, or gpu in traditional form. Itll simply get mowed over by anything AMD puts out in fusion form. What Im saying is, if theyre going to do this, its a moot point if the graphics side turns to failure, even if their cpus may be superior at that time

RADIO_ACTIVE

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Innovation is a good thing and should take time to do things correctly. Yes it will probably fail but who knows it could be the future. Only time will tell.

G

well the delay is true. but the reason given in this article is incorrect, keep digging, the truth is out there. here's a hint: it's a "technical" delay on the silicon test side.

biohazard420420

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Frankly all IGP products are/should be focused on the business sector imo anyway. Anyone wanting even decent performance graphic wise will/should always go with a discreet solution. Anyone going with an IGP product that wants to do any gaming is crazy as even a cheap discreet card will out perform them. And frankly businesses are not all that concered with graphic performance when it comes to their machines. You can bring up laptops but again a discreet card is always the better option and besides gaming on a laptop is really a minor use for the laptop in general if you want to game on a laptop pay for it dont get a run of the mill laptop and be disappointed you cant run games at a decent frame rate. It would be nice to see IGP solutions that can hold up to a basic amount of gaming as ATI demonstrated with is last IGP solution, but then again is that REALLY the point of a IGP board in the first place. And yes I did ignore Vista because well Vista sucks IMO and I prefer XP. Besides Vista wasn't really or at least isn't designed to run on IGP solutions well.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Integrated graphics are immensely important to the market. If they come out with both the CPU and GPU on one chip, that will allow for less packaging and less power consumption. Less power consumption means longer battery lives. Also, in an HTPC format, if either of these is powerful enough, they would make for a great small form factor HTPC.
Also, you are correct, business computers would benefit from this, but also your 18 year old non-gamer college student. Does that cover Biohazard's useless commentary?
(in short, IGP is not for intense gaming, and if you have anything more to say about that, think before typing.)

Dont forget average Joe who buys that must have first time computer for little Johnny, and lil Johnny wants to game. Current igps (other than Intels) allow for some kind of gaming experience, especially for all the lil Johnnies in the world, which only helps to plant the seeds for future pc gamers

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
Your scenario relies on the consumer not being informed. Which is a very common situation. Go into a bestbuy or a circuit city and get them to give you their sales pitch on a computer. Sometimes they are not well informed. The market is so broad with its offerings that it is hard for Mr John uninformed buyer to tell the difference between two computers that have the same processor speed and same amount of ram. Alas, this is the world in which we live, and a person should really get informed before plunking down $400 on a desktop when they should really move up to that pricey $600 one.
This combo will really benefit business users and college students. Think about how many computers a large university has and how often they upgrade. Now about the power usage of all those computers and the cooling required for the labs. (Ever been in a computer lab without AC? NOT fun) It's all about minimizing power and space. Not gaming.

tim851

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
The problem ist not really that Intel's IGPs are weaklings, they are perfectly adequate for 90% of users who rely on IGPs in the first place. The problem is that they still consume more power than their more 3D capable counterparts from nVidia and AMD. They lack in the performance-per-watt category.

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
[citation][nom]tim851[/nom]The problem ist not really that Intel's IGPs are weaklings, they are perfectly adequate for 90% of users who rely on IGPs in the first place. The problem is that they still consume more power than their more 3D capable counterparts from nVidia and AMD. They lack in the performance-per-watt category.[/citation]

No no, Intel IGP are weaklings. They never a decent VGA in their live. The i740 was failed attempt to do it a long ago. And FYI Intel IGPs only do Transform&Lightning very recently, and that is a by a software solution. Nvidia's GeForce 256 was released in late 1999, which pioneered consumer hardware support for T&L. Im an Ati fan, but it is so much fun to look that Intel still can't do BY HARDWARE, a freaking technology that has been mainstream 10 YEARS old.

Of course they are having problems with their graphics approach. They just want to brute force their way through.

boe

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2004
While I could give a flying fig about intel's integrated GPU, I want USB 3.0 NOW. While the speed improvement may affect me in some way I haven't planned on yet, I want better power for faster charging of my USB devices. I'd love to build a new PC in December but the delay by Intel on USB 3.0 will delay my next PC.

xyster

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2005
I'd love to build a new PC in December but the delay by Intel on USB 3.0 will delay my next PC.
Would the purchase of an Add-on controller card for USB 3.0, when USB 3 is needed and available, solve this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.