Can pins be transported sideways?

I'm buying a ST-TNG from someone in town and it looks like the back
hatch of my SUV is an inch too short. (32" and I'm told the pin has a
height of 33".) There would be no problem fitting it in sideways, but
I'm loath to do it if it'll screw something up.

Thoughts anyone?

Thanks

Dont do it, Pierre.

Even with the utmost care, you're bound to scratch the hell out of the
side cabinet artwork...or worse.

Rent a truck or find a friend with a vehicle that you can properly load
it into.

Dave

sttng, when folded, is less than 30" tall :)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Pierre Manard wrote:
> I'm buying a ST-TNG from someone in town and it looks like the back
> hatch of my SUV is an inch too short. (32" and I'm told the pin has a
> height of 33".) There would be no problem fitting it in sideways, but
> I'm loath to do it if it'll screw something up.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Thanks

Hi Pierre,

I have transported system 80 games on their sides in my SUV (I was hauling
two at the time). I made sure all the balls were out; the plumb bob tilts
moved a little, but that was no big deal. I would think you would be ok
with all the balls removed, and nothing loose floating around in the
cabinet, like a coin box, manual, spare parts, etc. However, I do not have
any experience with ST-TNG.

Regards,
Dan

I wouldn't. Get a friend with a truck. This is a collectible and expensive
pin.
You would have to really really really cardboard and pad that pin or it
would scrape up bad. Also, this is one of the most complicated pins to fix
in the first place and turning it sideways could loosen something,
especially with any bumps in the road.
--
Josh
http://www.pingeek.com

"Pierre Manard" <pierremanard@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> I'm buying a ST-TNG from someone in town and it looks like the back hatch
> of my SUV is an inch too short. (32" and I'm told the pin has a height of
> 33".) There would be no problem fitting it in sideways, but I'm loath to
> do it if it'll screw something up.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
>
> Thanks

Ron

find out who your friends are ... that have a truck. unless you want
to redecal the side, my guess in no matter how careful something is
going to happen to an expensive game cosmetically if you ship sideways.
functionally, the optos in sttng need to be perfect for the game to
work well to begin with ... and normal jostling and bumping by
conventional means of taking off the legs, empty out the balls and
everything in the cab, lowering the backbox, taking out the translight,
then tying it down well ... has enough potential to mess something up
.... shipping sideways may not be a problem, but why risk it?

my .02 to use and abuse as you see fit.

FELLAS! FELLAS! the game will fit, i think he got bad info. hopefully
he reads this so he knows it will fit on its belly :)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Agreed. Mileage is a factor though. How far is the pin from you? Pay
somebody a few bucks, or treat for some food or both. Make it worth their
while for helping you. Are they looking for a pin? Help them find one? Do
they need a website? Be creative. Beer?

If you are not too far from pickup, heck, rent a truck. U Haul has trucks
under 15 ft, enclosed that will work nicely. In a pinch, it worked for me
and i didn't have to bother anyone. Get the insurance though. So many
people on the road glued to their cell phones. I almost got hit head on the
other day. Woman not looking where she was going. She was going uphill,
center of the road and I was going downhil.. If I hadn't slammed down the
horn, no media at York.

--

"ron" <golferron54@gmail.com> wrote in message
> find out who your friends are ... that have a truck. unless you want
> to redecal the side, my guess in no matter how careful something is
> going to happen to an expensive game cosmetically if you ship sideways.
> functionally, the optos in sttng need to be perfect for the game to
> work well to begin with ... and normal jostling and bumping by
> conventional means of taking off the legs, empty out the balls and
> everything in the cab, lowering the backbox, taking out the translight,
> then tying it down well ... has enough potential to mess something up
> ... shipping sideways may not be a problem, but why risk it?
>
> my .02 to use and abuse as you see fit.

U haul has a small trailer that would do the job that only costs 10
bucks.

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> FELLAS! FELLAS! the game will fit, i think he got bad info. hopefully
> he reads this so he knows it will fit on its belly :)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

There ya go.