Your question

UK Gaming laptop

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
October 2, 2010 5:55:48 PM

hello.

1. What is your budget?
£800-£1200
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
screen size over 15.6", preferably 17", weight isnt an issue but looks are quite important, i like a sleek good looking case.
3. What screen resolution do you want?
preferably 1920x1080
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Will be my main computer, i have acess to a desktop at home but im travelling arround on business so i have a hotel room for 1-2weeks at a time. as i see it all laptops are portable.
5. How much battery life do you need?
2-3 hours on non intensive work (web, email, word, power point, visual basic)
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? yes, Aion, WoW, Starcraft 2, Call Of Duty. Mainly mmo's and rts's online, the occasional fps. very into online gaming and like to play on medium-high settings, maxed isnt needed but above average.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Will be used for software development and small ammounts of video editing, nothing too intense.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500gb+ at 7200rpm
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I bought my desktop from Cyberpowersystems.co.uk, notice they do laptops aswell, not sure on the value compared to other brands/sites. the other site i was looking at was kobaltcomputers.co.uk; specificly the g860 or g870 or on cyberpower the x6-9900 or x7-8500. There sitting at the top end of my budget and the reason for me not looking into other brands is lack of knowledge really, and the fact they dont seem specifly built for what i want. i feel like im paying for bits I dont need.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
good 2-3 years, maybe 4.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
just a basic DVD-RW, one that reads DVDs and can write to them.
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
First laptop, so i dont have a scooby. Ive heared dell support is quite poor, but ive never used them so i cant judge, just have bad impressions of them.
13. What country do you live in?
England.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I hope ive not missed any cruicial information out, im happy to attempt a self build if it offers mega savings but i havent built a desktop for a good 10 years, never a laptop. I dont know what sites even sell compnents anymore.
Also preferably to be bought in GPB unless huge savings are in order after the possibly of import tax.

Appriciate any input, Thanks

More about : gaming laptop

October 2, 2010 6:32:14 PM

Thanks for the super speedy reply, those two look brilliant. ill quickly have a sniff about :) 
Thanks again. appriciate it.
Related resources
October 3, 2010 7:41:04 AM

the 15.6" seems better to me, however im a bit concerned that the processor doesnt have enough oomph.

The 17" only has draft-n wireless which worries me, aswell as a lower spec. So i guess what im asking is that a 15.6" screen is big enough and is a i5 450M powerful enough for my needs?

i also have no idea how they manage to be £650 cheaper than the official retailer link from msi's website, this is legit right?
a c 244 D Laptop
October 3, 2010 10:21:46 AM

I recommend GX660 over GX740 because of having slightly better specs, and don't worry about i5 450M,its fine for your tasks.
And yes OCUK is legit,so don't worry about it.I also have seen GX660 with a much higher price in another site and the only difference was in their CPU(i5 vs i7)
!