There was a NASCAR (as well as a Ripley's) set for free play at the
Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco; however, it seemed to
have a recurring problem - the ball kept getting stuck on the right
side of the playfield (somewhere in the middle - I don't remember
exactly where), and when the autokickers kicked in, a gate of some
sort opens, allowing the ball to slide around a target and straight
into the right outlane. Is this something that usually happens,
perhaps in some earlier versions of the machine?

-- Don

Nice! Is a ticket needed to get in? :)

Hmm, the only diverter gate I know of on the right side of the game is
the one from the track.

Balls that are looping around the track are stopped by this gate and
dumped onto the playfield, kind of like how the DE Batman game stopped
the player from looping the center ramp.

During normal gameplay, if a ball accidentally enters the track without
hitting a sensor, it will just fall into the gobble hole at the bottom
of the track (I consider this a disappointment in the game design,
considering how airball-prone NASCAR is -- it's not uncommon to lose a
ball this way).

My guess is that the diverter is opening during ball search, and the
ball's stuck in that area, and the ball enters the track via that
diverter being open, and then is gobbled at the bottom of the track.

I wonder what would cause the ball to get stuck there? Something wrong
with the drop targets, perhaps?

This is a great game to play, but I'm getting concerned as to its
mechanical build quality, as this game is very visceral: the coils are
constantly getting a workout, as the ball is tossed from place to
place.

Unlike, say, Sopranos, the game doesn't just sit back and watch
passively as the ball pretty much carries itself around the loops and
ramps. NASCAR constantly kicks the ball out from various places,
slings the ball around the loop, waves the scanner sign back and forth,
and clunks the garage up and down. There's always something going on!
It reminds me very much of NGG. Unfortunately, I don't think the
current Stern assemblies are up to the job.

NASCAR = Needs Attention, Service Calls, And Repair?

Josh

sounds like the upper right magnet may have not been working to launch the
ball arond the track so it was falling back down.
Timathie
"Don Del Grande" <del_grande_news@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> There was a NASCAR (as well as a Ripley's) set for free play at the
> Oracle OpenWorld conference in San Francisco; however, it seemed to
> have a recurring problem - the ball kept getting stuck on the right
> side of the playfield (somewhere in the middle - I don't remember
> exactly where), and when the autokickers kicked in, a gate of some
> sort opens, allowing the ball to slide around a target and straight
> into the right outlane. Is this something that usually happens,
> perhaps in some earlier versions of the machine?
>
> -- Don

G Goofy
R Repairs
A And
N Nasty
D Dimples

P Pat
R Really
I Impressive
X XXXX

or

P Price
R Rise
I Impulse-buying
X Xenophobics

I've not seen the machine but will do soon enough. Probably no where
near as bad as Sopranos, hey atleast it looks better and the theme has
half a chance.

Ping

I was there and saw this game. Actually played it a couple of times before
it broke. The wire-form that keeps the ball from coming back into the area
where it is launched from broke off and fell down into the machine. That
happened Monday night at the OTN party, never got fixed the rest of the
week.

I scored over 30 million on my first ball and 76 million on my first
game....

--
John Jones
Senior Oracle DBA