Ionic_Power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
Could someone please explain the difference between these two cores? I'm building a new system and have it narrowed down to these two due to similar speeds and price. But does one have an advantage over the other?

Also, what is the advantage, if any, to the FSB being integrated on the CPU? And do these chips require a special Mobo or will any work?

Thanks in advance.

Ionic_Power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
They are both 939 processors. Don't know if they come in the 754 form or not.

I understand that you must use a mobo designed for the 939 but does it matter the FSB that the mobo functions at? I haven't been able to find the FSB speed of the integrated CPUs. I'm assuming that if they run at 1GHz FSB then you have to get a board capable of a 1GHz FSB.

Thanks.

endyen

Splendid
The venice core is a newer revision.
It runs cooler, uses less power, has a better memory controler, and has SSE3.
All of the A64 chips have an on-die memory controller.
As a result, they have a seperate memory bus. Amd has also given us an HTT bus, which is faster than a standard FSB.
While the chips can deal with a 1ghz HTT bus, there is very little need for that kind of interface, at this point. 600mgz would be more than fast enough. There are boards that only use an 800mhz HTT. If everything else about the board is good for you, dont think twice about the HTT speed.

Ionic_Power

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2005
So I'm going with the Venice core. For the same price I can get one with the standard 1GHz FSB or one with the integrated FSB. Would you suggest the integrated FSB? Will there be any noticable difference in gaming or anything else with one or the other?

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Too bad you're kinda off. The Winchester version actually runs cooler and uses less power. However, Venice is much better at running with a bit more voltage and can achieve higher speeds.

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice_5.html" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/athlon64-venice_5.html</A>

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

G

cool never noticed that!

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, MSI 6800Ultra stock, 2X30gig Raid0

endyen

Splendid
My understanding is that winnie has a lower tdp, but the venice cores actually run cooler. Since Amd releases a TDP for the whole line, most chips dont come anywhere near it without serious OCing.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Did you look at the link???? Notice they show the winny 2 deg lower than the ven-ice. I've read it elsewhere that Venice runs hotter but is more tolerant of heat. If you have evidence to the contrary, I would like to see it. All chips very, but it isn’t fair to say there is a noticeable difference as they are basically on par with each other!

endyen

Splendid
Yes, but it seems to conflict with reality, in far too many ways. I prefer <A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_venice/" target="_new">lostcircuits</A> though it does get a little technical.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Dude. In that whole article the two cores varied by like 2 watts. There is more variation on chips drawn from the same wafer. Some chips run hot some not so hot. In the end you can’t claim any significant power difference.

endyen

Splendid
2 watts difference between chips at the same speed, no big deal , but we are talking about a venice core that is 200 mhz faster. If you read the article, you would see that the venice core uses 20% less power. Mind you, less is never more.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
I guess you took the idle numbers to come up with that 20% conclusion. If you look at the rest of the numbers they vary by far less than 5% which by the way is more than the estimated error they stated in the lead in. A 4000+ rated core is probably a choice piece of silicon, but either way I’ll bet <b>again</b>, this variance is far less than the deviation of all chips either venice or winchester.

endyen

Splendid
Oh well, I think that when a faster chip runs cooler, It's reasonable to say that the design is cooler. I really dont see any way to say the winnie is cooler, from that review.

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Maybe in <A HREF="http://www.lostcircuits.com/cpu/amd_fx57/12.shtml" target="_new">this</A> review under Temperature Compensation.

In the end you can't claim either chip is cooler or hotter than the other!!!