Gutterflower

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2005
hey guys
Having just bought a new motherboard i am going to have to shift my athlon 2400+ across. I have never had to remove a cpu and HSF before. I have 2 small tubes of Thermal Compund CPU paste but no experience on how to remove the heat pad from the stock HSF and how to replace it with the paste. is there a guide somewhere thats handy or a complete kit (as i only have the tubes of paste)

Thanks in advance
Dave

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
There probably are guides at various sites (you could google for them, I'm sure), but its pretty simple.

1) Clean off the old paste/pad with rubbing alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover). Make sure you get both surfaces 'squeaky-clean'. Since you have an Athlon XP, you probably don't have a heat spreader, so be careful with spillage on the chip (i.e., just don't drown it LOL).

2) Apply a tiny amount (about the size of a grain of rice) to the CPU, stick the HSF on it and lock it down. You can spread it if you want - if you spread it, make sure you get a thin layer across the whole surface of the CPU (either the heat spreader or the die itself). The paste should spread out on its own however.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
You could always try the Arctic Silver <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arcticlean.htm" target="_new">ActiClean</A> kit. I tried some recently because I couldn't find rubbing alcohol without a lot of water content and I was already ordering a bunch of stuff online. It works great and smells good. :)

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil himself is good, when he is pleased.</i></font color=red>
@ 194K of 200K!

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Wow... I use more than a grain of rice size. I'm gonna go do this again and see exactly how much I use. I just told someone that I use about .7cm cubed, but now that I look at a ruler... that's alot.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
This was from a <A HREF="http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_silver_instructions_big2.htm" target="_new">linky</A> in another thread.
Only a small amount of Arctic Silver is needed

P4:
Slightly less then the size of an uncooked grain of short-grain white rice or 1/2 of a BB.

Athlon64:
About the size of one and a quarter uncooked grains of short-grain white rice or 2/3 of a BB.
I have always put enough compound on that I could see it around the very edges of the CPU once I took the HSF off (much like how a stock HSF thermal paste is applied). But this link is pretty reputable so I guess this is the way to go, 1 1/4 grains of rice. It just seems odd to me that they don't cover the entire surface of the CPU.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

fishmahn

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
I'd use a little more than their suggestion on a heat spreader as well (though I don't know about a whole CM cubed), but this guy's got an XP. They dont' have a spreader, just the CPU die that's about 1cm square (well, its rectangular, but about that size total), so he doesn't need much.

Mike.

<font color=blue>Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside the dog its too dark to read.
-- Groucho Marx</font color=blue>