Sign in with
Your question

PC wont power up (plz help)

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2005 6:15:22 PM

You guys just helped me upgrade an old PC. For whatever reason, the thing wont turn on, or make any reaction at all when I hit the power button.

450W (430 TRue) Enermax PSU
DFI NF3 MOBO
AMD 3400+ CPU
250GB ATA-150 Barracuda
SB Audigy Sound
GF3 Video Card

I dont know if i need to upgrade my PSU or what, but im not getting any reaction when i plug pc in and push the power button. There's even an onboard switch that powers the motherboard up , im not getting any reaction out of that either.

I plug in my power supply on my original/old motherboard / computer and it turns on.

The DFI NF3 says it only requires 300W power supply , my 430W should be more then enough.

Can somebody please help me out here.

Thanks

More about : wont power plz

July 29, 2005 6:22:38 PM

Is it plugged in?

Is there a fan plugged into the CPU fan Header?

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
July 29, 2005 6:33:11 PM

Yes, & Yes
Related resources
July 29, 2005 6:43:45 PM

What GF3 card do you have and could it be a AGP 2x card?

July 29, 2005 6:47:52 PM

Its a 64MB Nvidia GF3 Elsa Gladiac AGP i dont know if its agp x2 or not

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by David2288 on 07/29/05 02:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
July 29, 2005 6:58:22 PM

Are you sure that you've connected the case's power switch to the motherboard correctly? Once I accidentally switched the power button with the reset switch...

:evil:  یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil: 
<font color=red><i>The Devil himself is good, when he is pleased.</i></font color=red>
@ 194K of 200K!
July 29, 2005 7:03:27 PM

i put everything on identical to what the manuel told me, then tried every other variation, still got no reaction out of the computer.

should i try getting a new power supply? or can my mobo be bad?
July 29, 2005 7:10:10 PM

That card is so old I can't find any information on it. It could be an AGP 2x/4x 3.3v card. If it is it could be inconpatible with that motherboard and the really sad thing is it could kill the motherboard. Sorry about that...

July 29, 2005 7:37:06 PM

if the video card kills the motherboard, wouldn't it atleast make some type of reaction before it shut down.

I haven't been able to power it up period. its like i dont have it plugged in or something
July 29, 2005 7:44:25 PM

No idea. I've just read about old 3.3v 2x/4x cards killing 1.5v 4x/8x motheboards.

July 30, 2005 12:10:23 AM

I think it's the 1X 2X cards that are the killers. That would be TNT or earlier cards. A GF3 should be fine.
July 30, 2005 12:14:07 AM

Try reading the FAQ in the motherboard forum. If that doesn't help, try building the rig outside the case with a basic post system.
Just use 1 stick of ram, cpu, hsf, and graphics card. Make sure the ram is in the slot closest to the chip.
July 30, 2005 1:28:13 PM

When I first built my computer I had the same problem... it turned out that on the hard drive, I had it set to Master instead of Primary... only had one hard drive, and apparently it's not the same thing :p  (I had a WD digital though).... Maybe you have a similar problem. Check to be sure all your jumper settings are correct.

**I'm not the one to be giving advice, but since I had a similar problem I just thought I'd share. Good luck.**
July 30, 2005 4:45:51 PM

disconnect and remove everything not really needed like HDs floppy, etc. You might even want to remove RAM and videocard, since even without those, fans should spin up and the motherboard should start beeping. If really *nothing* happens, its probably something trivial like a broken powerswitch. Try shorting the pins on the motherboard that are connected to the power switch with a screwdriver. Make sure you have the PSU on the "on" position (provided it has a on / off switch), that the 110/220v is set correctly and double check your connection from the PSU to the MB. Make sure the motherboard is not shorting out on the case or something else (like a dropped screw).

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
!