Static 1,000:1 vs 8Million:1 digital fine contrast ratio

Tags:
  • Flat Panel Monitors
  • Mega
  • Samsung
  • Peripherals
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
February 7, 2012 1:07:01 PM

which is best samsung 20 inch SA300 Contrast Ratio (Typical) DCR Mega ∞ (Static 1000:1) or lg e2041 20 inch with Mega Contrast Ratio (8M:1) DFC both are 1600x900 resolution but which delivers good picture clarity..

More about : static 000 8million digital fine contrast ratio

February 7, 2012 6:57:43 PM

You cannot compare static to dynamic contrast ratios. Also, the contrast is just one small part of the picture clarity. . .
m
l
February 7, 2012 10:47:49 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
You cannot compare static to dynamic contrast ratios. Also, the contrast is just one small part of the picture clarity. . .

ok pls tell from the above monitors which is better..because samsung has mentioned that their dynamic contrast ratio is static 1000:1 but lg is 8m:1 just which will give a better picture clarity..
m
l
Related resources
a b Ô Samsung
February 7, 2012 10:54:46 PM

Static contrast ratio is the true measure. Dynamic contrast basically changes the level of contrast for the entire monitor at once depending on how dark or light the screen is. If you are watching a movie and the scene is a bright, sunny day the contrast it low so that colors don't look washed out. Cut to scene inside a dimly lit room the monitor (or HDTV) switches to higher contrast to bring out the different colors. But the lowest measured contrast in any single scene at any single time will basically be 1 + Dynamic Contrast Setting, and the highest will basically be 1000 + Dynamic Contrast Setting. It's actually a little more complicated than that, but you get the picture.

I hate dynamic contrast. One of my three monitors and my HDTV has that feature. I switch it off.
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
February 7, 2012 11:04:41 PM

Picture clarity basically depends on the LCD panel technology. Both uses TN panel technology. In the end you cannot simply tell which monitor offers better image quality over the other on specs alone. Don't forget manufacturers can embellish the specs as well. You need professionally written reviews which does tests to determine which monitor is better than the other. Very, very few monitors are professionally reviewed. I'm talking about maybe 1 in every 20 or 25 (or worse than that) monitors manufactured are professionally reviewed.

I really doubt those low end monitors have been reviewed. Your best bet is to search for user (owner) reviews. If in the end you cannot decide, then flip a coin. Sorry, but I cannot offer any other advice.
m
l
February 8, 2012 1:34:11 PM

jaguarskx said:
Picture clarity basically depends on the LCD panel technology. Both uses TN panel technology. In the end you cannot simply tell which monitor offers better image quality over the other on specs alone. Don't forget manufacturers can embellish the specs as well. You need professionally written reviews which does tests to determine which monitor is better than the other. Very, very few monitors are professionally reviewed. I'm talking about maybe 1 in every 20 or 25 (or worse than that) monitors manufactured are professionally reviewed.

I really doubt those low end monitors have been reviewed. Your best bet is to search for user (owner) reviews. If in the end you cannot decide, then flip a coin. Sorry, but I cannot offer any other advice.

so u are trying to conclude that both are nearly equal ..
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
February 8, 2012 4:04:56 PM

I'm saying you cannot really tell which one is better just based on product specs.

A quick Google search on both monitors indicates that both have 1000:1 Static Contrast Ratios. Sansumg's "Mega ∞" refers to Dynamic Contrast Ratio; "∞" means infinite but lets just say it is equal to 5M:1 like the LG since there is no such thing as infinite contrast ratio in a monitor. Numbers can lie especially when used to advertise/market a product.

You either need to read user reviews to find out specific complaints or praises for each monitor, and/or see the monitors in person.
m
l
February 9, 2012 10:49:06 AM

jaguarskx said:
I'm saying you cannot really tell which one is better just based on product specs.

A quick Google search on both monitors indicates that both have 1000:1 Static Contrast Ratios. Sansumg's "Mega ∞" refers to Dynamic Contrast Ratio; "∞" means infinite but lets just say it is equal to 5M:1 like the LG since there is no such thing as infinite contrast ratio in a monitor. Numbers can lie especially when used to advertise/market a product.

You either need to read user reviews to find out specific complaints or praises for each monitor, and/or see the monitors in person.

pls tell some best ways to test those monitors.because one of my friend brought this samsung monitor and myself having the lg monitor..i can't test the picture clarity by just seeing the picture ..
m
l
February 9, 2012 7:28:54 PM

vishalaestro said:
pls tell some best ways to test those monitors.because one of my friend brought this samsung monitor and myself having the lg monitor..i can't test the picture clarity by just seeing the picture ..

That is the point; seeing the picture IS the best way to judge the clarity!
m
l
February 10, 2012 3:56:02 PM

PhilFrisbie said:
That is the point; seeing the picture IS the best way to judge the clarity!

i cant't judge the better one just by seeing picture clarity because it almost looks same..pls say any other way..
m
l
a b Ô Samsung
February 10, 2012 6:08:45 PM

That's the only way. If you want opinions then have some friends look at both to help you decide.
m
l
February 13, 2012 6:42:29 PM

And to plagiarise an old saying: There are lies, dammed lies, and specifications!
m
l
!