Blue Screen of Death

My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the Blue
Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet Explorer or
Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP Home
have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under warranty?

Thanks
12 answers Last reply
More about blue screen death

    Well, let's get to the easy question first: Dell's warranty includes in-home
    service, but that applies to hardware problems. For example, if the hard
    drive failed and needed to be replaced, you could convince Dell's technical
    support to send someone to the house to have it replaced. But in-home
    service doesn't apply to software problems.

    If the computer is still within the free return period, you may want to just
    send it back.

    XP's BSOD consists of a lot of text and some important information right at
    the bottom. The two key pieces of information you are looking for are 1) the
    hexadecimal number right after the word STOP, which usually begins with 0x,
    and 2) a cryptic looking name for the problem, which is usually in caps
    separated by underscores (LIKE_THIS).

    For help with the problem, you can search Microsoft's knowledge using either
    of those bits of information, and you can also try them in Dell's own
    knowledge base. Another good place to look for an explanation of what they
    mean is Jim Eshelman's Windows Support Center. Here is a link (look for
    "STOP Error Messages at Shutdown):
    http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    Once you know what the problem is, you can start to work on a solution.

    Sometimes the blue screen flashes by so quickly that you can't read what it
    says. That is Windows automatically restarting, since a restart sometimes
    cures a temporary problem. To prevent Windows from restarting, so you can
    read the BSOD, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and
    Recovery > 'Settings' button, and under System Failure untick Automatically
    restart.

    --
    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    CJL wrote:

    > My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the Blue
    > Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet Explorer or
    > Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP Home
    > have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
    > calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under warranty?

    1) Dell provides in-home service if you purchased it.

    2) Your BSOD is, more than likely, a software problem, not a hardware one,
    and probably not something Dell's going to take responsibility for.

    Notan

    Thanks for the tips, now I have somewhere to start.

    "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > Well, let's get to the easy question first: Dell's warranty includes
    in-home
    > service, but that applies to hardware problems. For example, if the hard
    > drive failed and needed to be replaced, you could convince Dell's
    technical
    > support to send someone to the house to have it replaced. But in-home
    > service doesn't apply to software problems.
    >
    > If the computer is still within the free return period, you may want to
    just
    > send it back.
    >
    > XP's BSOD consists of a lot of text and some important information right
    at
    > the bottom. The two key pieces of information you are looking for are 1)
    the
    > hexadecimal number right after the word STOP, which usually begins with
    0x,
    > and 2) a cryptic looking name for the problem, which is usually in caps
    > separated by underscores (LIKE_THIS).
    >
    > For help with the problem, you can search Microsoft's knowledge using
    either
    > of those bits of information, and you can also try them in Dell's own
    > knowledge base. Another good place to look for an explanation of what they
    > mean is Jim Eshelman's Windows Support Center. Here is a link (look for
    > "STOP Error Messages at Shutdown):
    > http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
    >
    > Once you know what the problem is, you can start to work on a solution.
    >
    > Sometimes the blue screen flashes by so quickly that you can't read what
    it
    > says. That is Windows automatically restarting, since a restart sometimes
    > cures a temporary problem. To prevent Windows from restarting, so you can
    > read the BSOD, go to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Startup and
    > Recovery > 'Settings' button, and under System Failure untick
    Automatically
    > restart.
    >
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    >
    > "CJL" <die@upyoursspammer.com> wrote in message
    > > My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the Blue
    > > Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet
    Explorer
    > or
    > > Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP
    > > have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
    > > calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under warranty?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    have your tried using system restore to a time before the problem started?
    start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore

    if you want good answers then you have to provide much more detail of what
    lead up to the problem and what you have already done to troubleshoot.
    otherwise, short of trying system restore, all that can be suggested is that
    you reload all the software on your system.

    "CJL" <die@upyoursspammer.com> wrote in message
    > My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the Blue
    > Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet Explorer
    or
    > Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP Home
    > have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
    > calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under warranty?
    >
    > Thanks

    Tried a restore and no luck, then did a complete reinstall of all Dell
    factory supplied software Twice and still the same BSOD. Spoke with Dell
    support in India and then was transferred to somewhere in South America. No
    help from those people at all, completely clueless. I will get back to this
    group with more details.

    Thanks

    > have your tried using system restore to a time before the problem started?
    > start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore
    >
    > if you want good answers then you have to provide much more detail of what
    > lead up to the problem and what you have already done to troubleshoot.
    > otherwise, short of trying system restore, all that can be suggested is
    that
    > you reload all the software on your system.
    >
    > "CJL" <die@upyoursspammer.com> wrote in message
    > > My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the Blue
    > > Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet
    Explorer
    > or
    > > Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP
    > > have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
    > > calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under warranty?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    After my brother in law placed a heated phone call to Dell they agreed to
    send out a technician to the home on Monday to fix the computer.

    I will let everyone know what the solution was.

    Thanks for all the responses

    CJL

    If reinstalling all the Dell software from scratch did not take care of the
    problem, I have to suspect some sort of low-level hardware problem. I've worked
    with many new-in-the-box Dells, connected them to the internet and not
    experienced any BSODs.

    The EXACT text of the BSOD may give a clue as to the malfunction.

    How much memory on the system? If it's 128MB, this is barely enough to run
    Windows XP adequately, but does not cause BSODs, which really have gotten less
    common with 2000 and XP.

    On the possibility that the system memory may be bad, download and run
    MEMTEST-86, possibly the best (and free) memory tester. You can download what
    is needed to make a bootable CD image which boots and runs MEMTEST-86
    automatically. Since I've been running MEMTEST-86 regularly, I have not
    encountered any issues with memory upgrades installed in clients' computers.
    And, yes, you can get bad memory even from the most reputable source and the
    best brand names... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers wrote:

    > If reinstalling all the Dell software from scratch did not take care of the
    > problem, I have to suspect some sort of low-level hardware problem. I've worked
    > with many new-in-the-box Dells, connected them to the internet and not
    > experienced any BSODs.

    From the OP: "Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP Home
    have not helped."

    "Reinstalling" and "reinstalling from scratch" are not the same thing.

    I'd suggest a reformat and fresh OS install, before moving to the
    possibility of a hardware problem.

    Notan

    Agreed, "reinstalling" and "reinstalling from scratch" are not the same thing.

    Nevertheless, it costs little or nothing to run extensive memory tests and maybe
    even the manufacturer's hard dirve diagnostics.

    But, yes, re-partition, reformat, and reinstall may nail the problem... Ben

    On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 21:06:29 GMT, Notan <notan@ddress.com> wrote:

    >Ben Myers wrote:
    >>
    >> If reinstalling all the Dell software from scratch did not take care of the
    >> problem, I have to suspect some sort of low-level hardware problem. I've worked
    >> with many new-in-the-box Dells, connected them to the internet and not
    >> experienced any BSODs.
    >
    >From the OP: "Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP Home
    >have not helped."
    >
    >"Reinstalling" and "reinstalling from scratch" are not the same thing.
    >
    >I'd suggest a reformat and fresh OS install, before moving to the
    >possibility of a hardware problem.
    >
    >Notan

    a repair/install, or a 'clean'/reformat install? did you try running the
    supplied dell hardware diagnostics cd? did you add any components to the
    system yourself (memory perhaps?)?
    > Tried a restore and no luck, then did a complete reinstall of all Dell
    > factory supplied software Twice and still the same BSOD. Spoke with Dell
    > support in India and then was transferred to somewhere in South America.
    No
    > help from those people at all, completely clueless. I will get back to
    this
    > group with more details.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > "Christopher Muto" <muto@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    > > have your tried using system restore to a time before the problem
    started?
    > > start-allprograms-acessories-systemtools-systemrestore
    > >
    > > if you want good answers then you have to provide much more detail of
    what
    > > lead up to the problem and what you have already done to troubleshoot.
    > > otherwise, short of trying system restore, all that can be suggested is
    > that
    > > you reload all the software on your system.
    > >
    > > "CJL" <die@upyoursspammer.com> wrote in message
    > > > My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the
    Blue
    > > > Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet
    > Explorer
    > > or
    > > > Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP
    > > > have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
    > > > calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under
    warranty?

    > > > Thanks

    interesting that you think a on site person is going to do anything for you.
    without any diagnostics done via telephone the on site tech will arrive
    without any spare parts... so there isn't much he/she can do. i again
    suggest that you consider what precipitated the problem (what you may have
    added to the system software or hardware wise), and run the dell hardware
    diagnostics supplied to you on a bootable cd.

    In article <y2wLc.4986$_K2.2629@lakeread02>, die@upyoursspammer.com says...

    >My in-laws just purchased a Dell Dimension 2400 and are getting the Blue
    >Screen of Death and a mem dump error whenever they open Internet Explorer or
    >Outlook Express. Numerous calls the tech support and reinstalling XP Home
    >have not helped. Any ideas where to look to solve the problem besides
    >calling tech support. Does Dell provide in home service under warranty?
    >
    >Thanks

    You might want to go look in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general. There are
    several discussion threads there with the same exact problems. Your in-laws
    are not alone. I don't recall seeing any quick fixes, but there is a lot
    discussion and several MS MVP's have been responding.

    Good luck,
    Hunt

Dell Internet Explorer Support Blue Screen Computers