PC won't turn on - worked fine for 2 years

dpritcht

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
I recently started having problems with my PC booting up. I tried disconnecting all peripherals (among other things) and the best I could do was to get my fans spinning for a second until they powered off. I then disconnected the +12V Power Connector to the motherboard and all the fans started spinning. I plugged back in the +12V Power Connector and it stopped working again. I went out and bought a new PSU to try and it had exactly the same problem. I've taken everything out of the case, unplugged everything except the mobo (I have IGP), CPU and RAM. Any suggestions on what is going on?

I'm running an Athlon 2500XP+ on a Soltek SL-75MRN motherboard. I've got 512 MB of Corsair 333Mhz RAM (XMS2700). I'm using a 400W Antec SL400 power supply.

dpritcht

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Thank you very much for the post. After taking a look at your website, I noticed that one of my capacitors is bulging a little at the top and was covered with some sort of ooze. I'm almost certain at this point that it's the problem. I'll probably end up upgrading my system instead of fixing this originally $80 board. At least now I know what the problem is.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I'll probably end up upgrading my system instead of fixing this originally $80 board. At least now I know what the problem is.
As someone who's been in <i>exactly</i> this situation, I would advise trying to replace the caps first - because it'll cost you something like $0.50 per dodgy cap, and then you'll not need to re-install windows, re-configure anything.. etc. worst case, you lose a couple of bucks on capacitors that don't help.

I used my dead motherboard as impetus to upgrade my system, but have since fixed the mobo and turned it (along with a back-from-the-dead Gfx card and some other spare bits) into a PC for my flatmate to use (and ironically enough, I had a lot less trouble with installing XP on <i>that</i> pc than my current rig.. :eek: )

On balance, I would've had much less trouble - and spent less money - if I'd just fixed the board first (but I would've had less new stuff to play with :smile: ).

Depends on your disposable income I guess - mine's not too bad atm :smile:

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

P4Man

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2004
dont be a sissy and fix it :)

seriously, if its not for saving money, just do it for fun. You can always toss it away later if you want, but like the above poster mentioned, it costs you next to nothing to try and gives a rewarding feeling when it works. OF course, after you fixed it youll probably still want to upgrade, but thats another issue all together :)

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

pat

Expert
yes, they did. I did one now, and I have to finish the other one. And I have to find a socket A CPU to test them...

You can try to contact ringlo@soltek.com.tw and ask him for replacement capacitors.

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I need some in case my EPoX fails oneday
Any old 1000uF Caps should do it. That's the ones that went on my 8RDA+ anyway. They were green and rated 1000uF/6.3V, and the replacements I got (as the old dude in the electronics shop was muttering about "Not having any <i>that</i> small") are about 2x the size and rated 1000uF/16V... at least that should make them less likely to blow I guess! :lol:

Your board is a rev 2 isn't it? Don't know whether they changed the caps between revisions or anything though.. (mine was a 1.1)

Strangely enough, the ones that I later found had blown on my Ti4600 were exactly the same rating, and <i>appeared</i> to be the same make, as those that blew on the mobo, so I already had some spares (as I'd bought more than I needed originally of course), which was handy.

---
<font color=red>"Life is <i>not</i> like a box of chocolates. It's more like a jar of jalapeńos - what you do today might burn your a<b></b>ss tommorrow."

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Oh right - what FSB have you managed to get out of that? Mine always used to crap out at ~207 or so (~195 before I changed the NB HSF) Just curious.

Of course, now it's not used primarily by me, it's running my old 1700+ at the 'safe' settings of 200x10, 1.4V.. :lol: ..

---

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Lucky ah heck. Mine was the older core - A1 was it? Even so, I probably could have got 215-220, but I had no VDD adjustment BIOS option, and never got around to looking into a hardwired voltmod (if one even exists)

Well, that board's Days as my main overclocked rig are over... I'm fairly happy to stay with my A64, now it finally works properly.. :lol:

---

pat

Expert
I dont have any more mobo's picture with bad caps.... If I fint another Soltek with bad caps, then I'll send you one...

But anyway, caps are cheap...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I've heard his arse is, indeed, cheap....

---

Coulda at least lubed him up a lil...

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
Then the lub is gonna add to the cost and it's gonna be much more than $10. :smile:

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>

Huh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.scouser.com/define/index.html" target="_new">http://www.scouser.com/define/index.html</A>

Scouser (skaus-sir)
Brit. Inf. ~n. a person who comes from Liverpool.