Can't reinstall Java after uninstalling

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Well, I wish I had known exactly what I was getting into when I started messing with Java. Here's the situation I'm in...

I had 32-bit Java already installed. I'm using Windows 7 64-bit, so I figured I should get the 64-bit version of Java. Long story short, after all kinds of problems with installing and uninstalling, I'm stuck. No traces of Java show up anywhere in the add/remove Programs menu, and I can't find any leftover files anywhere, not even in the registry. I've used several different programs (JavaRa, Windows Install Clean Up, Microsoft FixIt, Revo Uninstaller) to try to locate any leftover files, and it's now to the point where none of them can find anything. When I try to reinstall Java, I get a window saying "This software is already installed, do you want to reinstall it?", and if I click yes, an error window pops up saying "This action can only be used on software already installed", or something close to that. I honestly have no idea what to do from here, any help would be appreciated. :D

Stupid question, no offense, have you been rebooting each time you uninstall/reinstall the software?

I know it sounds mundane but Java is quirky like that. It holds onto some system files, even when uninstalling it with Revo Uninstaller, that it will not remove until the next system restart. Try that and see if it will allow you to reinstall it.

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Also, if it makes a difference, I did notice something odd. In the Control Panel>Programs menu, at the bottom where the Java icon would normally be, there's a "blank paper" icon, the kind that signifies an unassociated file type. I can't do anything to it, and can't figure out how to get rid of it. Hunter Mode in Revo doesn't work. This is the only thing on my hard drive that I can find that says anything about Java.

That usually is where you would go to configure the actual Java console and its like.

I was doing some deeper digging and found a FIX that might just work for you. Apparently this issue is not uncommon.

whutupribs

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
Sorry it's been a few days, I've been busy with the holidays and all. Anyway, I had already tried everything listed in that fix, and it was still giving me trouble. I downloaded Java 7 update 9 (I had update 10 installed before), and it installed just fine. After all the digging and searching I've done, I still can't find a real fix for this. My plan now is to just wait for the next update 11 and see if I can install that.

vkumarch

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014
I have got the same problem but i cannot even upgrade a later version since right now it has been already installed with latest version. Any other help is appreciable

Scibbie

Reputable
Jul 23, 2014
I Have a Even Bigger Problem. I have kind of the same problem. but i deleted EVERYTHING i found from java. So now. the only thing left is a registry key. thats not there too. i have a horrible problem. my java uninstaller didnt work so i deleted them by hand XD now its worse. i got the same end but nothing to fix. if you know the answer plz help me + this will also help him :D :bounce: cant wait for a answer