Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

TRIM

Tags:
Last response: in Mac Os X
Share
March 31, 2011 2:59:52 AM

What does TRIM mean exactly? Thanks

More about : trim

March 31, 2011 3:14:01 AM

hey, google (or whatever you use) exists for a reason
Score
0
March 31, 2011 5:43:44 PM

HINT: TRIM has NOTHING to do with mac
Score
0
Related resources
March 31, 2011 9:54:13 PM

Ironically, right now TRIM has too much to do with mac, because the support for TRIM is available but only for SSD sold by Apple.

It is still unknown at this point if Apple will extend TRIM support on all SSD with 10.7 or keep it exclusive for their own SSD.

You can extend the trim support to your own SSD with a little hack, but the procedure is quite recent and haven't been tested thoughtfully so backup and use at your own risk.

http://www.groths.org/
Score
0
April 1, 2011 3:17:12 AM

mindless728 said:
hey, google (or whatever you use) exists for a reason
The name fits you are mindless!Members have a right to ask questions.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 3:19:07 AM

kbits said:
Ironically, right now TRIM has too much to do with mac, because the support for TRIM is available but only for SSD sold by Apple.

It is still unknown at this point if Apple will extend TRIM support on all SSD with 10.7 or keep it exclusive for their own SSD.

You can extend the trim support to your own SSD with a little hack, but the procedure is quite recent and haven't been tested thoughtfully so backup and use at your own risk.

http://www.groths.org/
Thanks for your response at least you have some intelligence regarding this subject. Not like the others.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 4:22:11 AM

TRIM exists on non macs machines. You normally lose it if you set up a RAID array, unless you have an advanced controller.

As for how helpful we should be, why should we go "reinvent the wheel" every time someone comes and asks a question that can be solved with a simple web search? Go read the wiki on TRIM and come back if you don't understand something.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TRIM+wiki (first result, fourth link under "Computing and electronics.)
Score
0
April 1, 2011 1:47:48 PM

musical marv said:
The name fits you are mindless!Members have a right to ask questions.


and members have a right to help themselves, a quick search could have brought this up quite easily both on google and here on tom's hardware
Score
0
April 1, 2011 1:55:52 PM

mindless728 said:
and members have a right to help themselves, a quick search could have brought this up quite easily both on google and here on tom's hardware


Well, questions do promote dialog. Your initial response was rude. All you had to do was Google it and copy/paste and look like the hero, instead of throwing out your comment and looking like a horse's ***.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 5:07:23 PM

The problem is more with the OP, who in the past weeks has posted similar questions that could be answered by the top 10 google results and at least one flamebait topic.

Perhaps if he had asked a more specific question pertaining to OSX... he wouldn't have been met with hostile responses.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 6:50:53 PM

skittle said:
Perhaps if he had asked a more specific question pertaining to OSX... he wouldn't have been met with hostile responses.


There is no rationalization for hostile responses to basically a simple question. What if the person has some learning disability that you are not aware? Is a hostile response to their "simple" question warranted? The problem is that people are too quick to make false assumptions and inevitably end up reacting irrationally.
Score
0
April 1, 2011 10:08:53 PM

forum etiquette still stands. Google first, use search and if that fails then ask in forums. The OP does neither. This is way off topic so lets be done.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 12:13:43 AM

Yoder54 said:
There is no rationalization for hostile responses to basically a simple question. What if the person has some learning disability that you are not aware? Is a hostile response to their "simple" question warranted? The problem is that people are too quick to make false assumptions and inevitably end up reacting irrationally.


yes there is, if he is unwilling to even try to help himself, GTFO, its that simple not too mention some people need to learn to research things on there own, disability or not
Score
0
April 2, 2011 12:20:23 AM

Since when is telling someone to use google rude? Some people around here need to lighten up.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 3:03:40 AM

Yoder54 said:
There is no rationalization for hostile responses to basically a simple question. What if the person has some learning disability that you are not aware? Is a hostile response to their "simple" question warranted? The problem is that people are too quick to make false assumptions and inevitably end up reacting irrationally.
You are right.That is problem with people today they are to judge mental and not enough compassionate.have patience which is a virtue that people need.Thanks again
Score
0
April 2, 2011 3:05:28 AM

4745454b said:
Since when is telling someone to use google rude? Some people around here need to lighten up.
What do you think forums mean helping each other not only obtaining Google information.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 4:19:19 AM

Quote:
What do you think forums mean helping each other not only obtaining Google information.


For you guys it seems to be jumping on someone who suggested you help yourself. I've seen rude comments, suggesting google is a far cry from being rude. It's as rude as what you guys shot back at him. Both points are valid. Forums are here to get advice/help, but as I said its not our job to retype things if it can be solved by a simple google/web search. I linked to you the wiki on TRIM, did you read it? Why should I or anyone else retype all that if you can do a quick search yourself? I'd be happy to discuss some point in there that you couldn't understand, but you (or anyone else) should be willing to do some work yourself.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 6:43:06 AM

Suggesting the use of Google is not rude; it is a very positive response to purely factual queries.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for life.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 12:44:33 PM

musical marv said:
You are right.That is problem with people today they are to judge mental and not enough compassionate.have patience which is a virtue that people need.Thanks again


look, its simple, we are not here to hold your hand, you need to look up and research things on your own instead of always asking questions. Though if you have a specific question (like 4745454b said) thats when we can help, not to give out the most basic of answers, which if you had searched for (either google or here on Tom's) you would have found. How do you think a lot of us came ti know what we know, we looked things up, read, and then asked questions if we had a problem.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 2:26:25 PM

Unfortunately Web pages (including Google's index) don't come with an expiry date or an accuracy figure; in the fast changing world of computer technology you need a degree of knowledge to be able to filter what is true/false, out of date, or complete garbage; I also wouldn't consider "go use Google" to be "Teaching" even in it's most basic form.
Score
0
April 2, 2011 2:31:52 PM

There is the matter of out of date, but that's what the forum is for. To ask "what is trim", or "what is a CPU", or "what is the wheel" is not quite forum material. But to ask why a controller can't support trim, or what is the relation between L2 cache and the FSB, or why are supports needed is a better use for a forum. I fear that this goes over most of your heads, as your so caught up on someone's "rude" behavior.

Score
0
April 3, 2011 2:00:41 AM

The real problem is not regarding to try to find the solution in Google but RESPECT which the younger generation lacks today.This is true in all aspects of life.
Score
0
April 3, 2011 5:02:47 AM

musical marv said:
The real problem is not regarding to try to find the solution in Google but RESPECT which the younger generation lacks today.This is true in all aspects of life.


Likewise, we in the forums expect that you *at least* do a simple search before posting a question. This is common forum etiquette which you fail to follow.

Though a little tongue in cheek, this classic video is VERY informative and is the expected behavior of everyone posting.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Score
0
April 3, 2011 7:05:42 AM

musical marv said:
The real problem is not regarding to try to find the solution in Google but RESPECT which the younger generation lacks today.This is true in all aspects of life.

Hey, hey. I'm 65 and I don't think that the suggestion to try Google first was anything but constructive.

Respect is earned.
Score
0
April 3, 2011 6:42:07 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM

The Forum Rules are always something to read. Especially the part where it says
Quote:
Search the forums. Someone else may have already answered your question/discussed the topic.


And as many people mentioned, asking something that you could find with a Google search is considered trolling. Troll.

Score
0
April 4, 2011 3:09:49 AM

Ijack said:
Hey, hey. I'm 65 and I don't think that the suggestion to try Google first was anything but constructive.

Respect is earned.
I earned my respect years ago Sir.Sometimes Google is misleading to. I use Google and Bing mostly.
Score
0
April 4, 2011 3:15:58 AM

You joined a few weeks ago, you've earned no respect around here yet. This is the internet, we don't know who you are.

Quote:
Google is misleading


And THAT is why we have the forum. Not to type out what already exists with a simple search, but to answer questions you have about what you found. Do a search, see if it answers questions about what you had, and come here to clear up anything thats left unanswered. Its not really a difficult concept, and as pudgy pointed out its the RULES of this forum.

If a mod is reading, I vote this thread gets locked. The op didn't follow the rules of the forum, and instead is being rude to those in the thread. I'm pretty sure this thread has run its course.
Score
0
April 11, 2011 3:35:06 AM

Who are you to say what I can post or not sir! Amendment #2 Freedom of speech last time I read about in the constitution.Who are you??
Score
0
April 11, 2011 4:37:42 AM

I'm not anyone. As pudgy already pointed out, the forum rules (which you agreed to abide by when you signed up) rather clearly state,

Quote:
Search the forums. Someone else may have already answered your question/discussed the topic.


It's up to a mod to enforce, let me go notify one now.
Score
0
April 11, 2011 7:24:39 AM

musical marv said:
Who are you to say what I can post or not sir! Amendment #2 Freedom of speech last time I read about in the constitution.Who are you??

What has the Right to Bear Arms got to do with Freedom of Speech? Let's not take the argument that far.
Score
0
April 11, 2011 7:26:04 AM

LOL jack, I missed that completely. Not really surprised though...
Score
0
April 11, 2011 7:43:09 AM

In any case the First Amendment only says "Congress shall make no law ... or abridging the freedom of speech". It says nothing about what restrictions the owners of a private forum might place on published comments. There is no absolute right to "freedom of speech" in all circumstances.
Score
0

Best solution

April 11, 2011 9:43:47 AM

Cool it fellas. It was an honest question.
Share
April 15, 2011 3:10:31 AM

Best answer selected by musical marv.
Score
0
!