[SOLVED] TRIM

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbits

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Ironically, right now TRIM has too much to do with mac, because the support for TRIM is available but only for SSD sold by Apple.

It is still unknown at this point if Apple will extend TRIM support on all SSD with 10.7 or keep it exclusive for their own SSD.

You can extend the trim support to your own SSD with a little hack, but the procedure is quite recent and haven't been tested thoughtfully so backup and use at your own risk.

http://www.groths.org/

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for your response at least you have some intelligence regarding this subject. Not like the others.

4745454b

Titan
TRIM exists on non macs machines. You normally lose it if you set up a RAID array, unless you have an advanced controller.

As for how helpful we should be, why should we go "reinvent the wheel" every time someone comes and asks a question that can be solved with a simple web search? Go read the wiki on TRIM and come back if you don't understand something.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=TRIM+wiki (first result, fourth link under "Computing and electronics.)

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

Well, questions do promote dialog. Your initial response was rude. All you had to do was Google it and copy/paste and look like the hero, instead of throwing out your comment and looking like a horse's ***.

The problem is more with the OP, who in the past weeks has posted similar questions that could be answered by the top 10 google results and at least one flamebait topic.

Perhaps if he had asked a more specific question pertaining to OSX... he wouldn't have been met with hostile responses.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008

There is no rationalization for hostile responses to basically a simple question. What if the person has some learning disability that you are not aware? Is a hostile response to their "simple" question warranted? The problem is that people are too quick to make false assumptions and inevitably end up reacting irrationally.

yes there is, if he is unwilling to even try to help himself, GTFO, its that simple not too mention some people need to learn to research things on there own, disability or not

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
You are right.That is problem with people today they are to judge mental and not enough compassionate.have patience which is a virtue that people need.Thanks again

4745454b

Titan
What do you think forums mean helping each other not only obtaining Google information.

For you guys it seems to be jumping on someone who suggested you help yourself. I've seen rude comments, suggesting google is a far cry from being rude. It's as rude as what you guys shot back at him. Both points are valid. Forums are here to get advice/help, but as I said its not our job to retype things if it can be solved by a simple google/web search. I linked to you the wiki on TRIM, did you read it? Why should I or anyone else retype all that if you can do a quick search yourself? I'd be happy to discuss some point in there that you couldn't understand, but you (or anyone else) should be willing to do some work yourself.

look, its simple, we are not here to hold your hand, you need to look up and research things on your own instead of always asking questions. Though if you have a specific question (like 4745454b said) thats when we can help, not to give out the most basic of answers, which if you had searched for (either google or here on Tom's) you would have found. How do you think a lot of us came ti know what we know, we looked things up, read, and then asked questions if we had a problem.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Unfortunately Web pages (including Google's index) don't come with an expiry date or an accuracy figure; in the fast changing world of computer technology you need a degree of knowledge to be able to filter what is true/false, out of date, or complete garbage; I also wouldn't consider "go use Google" to be "Teaching" even in it's most basic form.

4745454b

Titan
There is the matter of out of date, but that's what the forum is for. To ask "what is trim", or "what is a CPU", or "what is the wheel" is not quite forum material. But to ask why a controller can't support trim, or what is the relation between L2 cache and the FSB, or why are supports needed is a better use for a forum. I fear that this goes over most of your heads, as your so caught up on someone's "rude" behavior.

Likewise, we in the forums expect that you *at least* do a simple search before posting a question. This is common forum etiquette which you fail to follow.

Though a little tongue in cheek, this classic video is VERY informative and is the expected behavior of everyone posting.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

Hey, hey. I'm 65 and I don't think that the suggestion to try Google first was anything but constructive.

Respect is earned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS