Razer - A Little Disappointed

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Well, I'm a little disappointed in Razer.

I have a Razer Copperhead mouse that I have put extensive hours of use on. It's been to hell and back more than once, I can assure you of that. I purchased this mouse the day it hit the shelves.

I've become rather attached to this gem of a mouse to a point... (Wayne's World Imaginary Theme)

My toddler decided it would make a great dog toy for our St. Bernard while I was at work. The little Wifey didn't catch him till, well, it was too late.

My dog didn't bite down so hard that it stopped working, however he bite hard enough that it cracked the right click button and broke something inside that you really have to push it extremely hard to get it to work. Everything else... works perfectly.

Of course its out of warranty and of course even if it was in warranty it would have been voided.

This is how attached to this mouse I am...

I called Razer today, explained what had happened and I wasn't looking for warranty service, I was looking to pay for full shipping there, back, parts and labor. I would have shelled out an easy 100 bucks to get this mouse repaired with no questions asked. I wasnt looking for a new warranty, just wanted my mouse fixed.

They refused. Said it wasn't policy and they couldn't. :cry:

I went as far as asking if they had the parts I needed and I would just buy them flat out and fix it myself or even if they had the parts to begin with, I couldn't even get a yes or no on the parts and was still denied. :cry:

Sure, its just as easy to buy another, newer Razer mouse... but to me, its not the same mouse.

Sometimes... a companies policy will make it or break it with me.

This might be the one instance, that it does.

perhaps the issue is not that they couldnt or wouldnt repair the device but that they did not have parts available. or perhaps it is because mice out of warranty are not a product that most people spend money on to be repaired. at minimum a repair service can cost $30-40+ including shipping, most likely more. when you can go out and buy a new mouse for this price its kind of silly to fix it. also chances are they would have just given you a new mouse if it was under warranty anyways.

your best bet is to buy another razer copperhead. i'm sure you can find one.

search google, ebay, amazon, shopping or other websites and i'm sure you can find something.

biscuitasylum

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012

Money isnt the object. Surely you got that from my posting. Its not about what makes sense... or what doesnt, its about liking something to a point you're willing to pay the extra.

You've missed the whole point of the post.

no, i know exactly what the point of the post was. perhaps it is you who should re-read my response as nowhere in it did i suggest that money was an object for "you".

i said that with out of warranty repair costs exceeding new product replacement values the average person would not want to deal with the hassle and expense for a used product. most would go out and buy a new mouse.

i did give you some valid options to replace the mouse you seem to like so much. is a direct replacement of the same model not valid or would you prefer repair because of the sentimental value of dog slobber? as you said you were fine with paying $100 to fix it, a quick google search found results under that amount for brand new. i suppose you should just go out and buy a new one.

This may make sense to you that you should be able to just toss money at them to get something, but to a guy on the phone who can be 1000 miles away from the parts they make, which may not even be available, or to he company that needs to create a way to bill you for a one-off item, it makes way more sense NOT to sell you the part. They'll spend 20 man-hours trying to send you a ten dollar part by the time they figure out even how to create a form to bill you for this. So they either say "get a new mouse" or spend $1,000 trying to track you down a one-off request.

So the policy is "no parts sales to end users." Makes sense to me and probably to you if you can get away from the "me me me" side of things. Try buying a truck load of parts, they may take care of you a bit better :)