Thanks again Elmo, but Rooms still don't open

Elmo, I greatly appreciate your attention, as you seem to know more than
anyone else I've talked to. So far, two computer engineers have not been able
to help after 2-3 hours of effort. One finally suggested to install XP Home
again over the existing program or to get a separate hard-drive.

You are correct the Registry files continue to corrupt, but I don't know
why. Last night, I repeated all fixes at Nibblesnbits, including un and
re-installing the network hardware, but it didn't work. The Heartbeat file
corrupts no matter how many times I replace it and the Rooms key in the
Registry disappears no matter how many times I replace it. Although I have
the Zone for years, I never had any problems until about two months ago. If
you have any last suggestions I would appreciate them; otherwise, thanks for
your help. I'm still not convinced the problems are with my computer as both
of my computers have had problems lately and they are unconnected and it
seems that fewer players are on the Chess site now.
1 answer Last reply
More about thanks elmo rooms open
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games.zone (More info?)

    Hooked on Chess wrote:

    > Elmo, I greatly appreciate your attention, as you seem to know more than
    > anyone else I've talked to. So far, two computer engineers have not been able
    > to help after 2-3 hours of effort. One finally suggested to install XP Home
    > again over the existing program or to get a separate hard-drive.
    >
    > You are correct the Registry files continue to corrupt, but I don't know
    > why. Last night, I repeated all fixes at Nibblesnbits, including un and
    > re-installing the network hardware, but it didn't work. The Heartbeat file
    > corrupts no matter how many times I replace it and the Rooms key in the
    > Registry disappears no matter how many times I replace it. Although I have
    > the Zone for years, I never had any problems until about two months ago. If
    > you have any last suggestions I would appreciate them; otherwise, thanks for
    > your help. I'm still not convinced the problems are with my computer as both
    > of my computers have had problems lately and they are unconnected and it
    > seems that fewer players are on the Chess site now.

    If Heartbeat is damaged, you might try this site:

    Heartbeat Movie
    http://zonesysops.com/clips/heartbeat.html

    If there are \Conflict folders in the C:\Windows\Downloaded Program
    Files folder, let me know. I've seen a lot of problems from Windows
    trying to use these.

    I believe it's also possible that a Windows Update might have added to,
    or changed current settings in the Internet Properties, Security
    section. Click the globe, click the "Custom Level" button. In the
    "ActiveX controls and plug-ins" section, change any setting that is at
    "Disable" to "Prompt". Only allow ActiveX that attempts to load while
    trying to access the Zone. You might change the settings back after you
    get the Zone working right again, so write down any changes you made.

    Hopefully the rewriting of the registry will be corrected by the install
    of updated ActiveX components, though I doubt it will be that simple.

    Reinstalling XP over itself usually is quite seamless and no software or
    other references are lost. If you have a Restore CD from Compaq or the
    like, it may want to reformat, then reinstall all software and drivers;
    that is not what you should do though.. The Restore option, usually F10
    after a reboot, may be what you need to do to get a nondestructive
    install over the current one.

    --
    +Elmo_Tech
    MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support