[WTA] How To Test 2nd Hand PC Monitors?

newb88

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a 2nd hand monitor.

http://www.samsung.com/my/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/monitor/led-monitor/LS23A950DS/XY-spec

Its a 5~6 month old Samsung S23A950D. It costs USD 60 less than buying a new one.

How do I test the monitor's functionality? :pt1cable:
Kindly suggest softwares to use for testing.

What accessories do I need to fully utilize this monitor? How do I check if the 3D glasses or the cables are still working?

Sorry, I'm a total newbie when it comes to 3D monitors...

Thank you for viewing this thread. :)

newb88

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Dear all,
According to Samsung's Instruction Manual, it is recommended to use DVI-D for 3D image viewing.

My gpu, Sapphire 7950, has a pair of mini-DisplayPort 1.2 connectors, a full size HDMI 1.4a output for 3D video (Blu-ray 3D) support, and a dual-link DVI-I.

sapphire-7950-hdmi.jpg

Sapphire 7950's I/O Port

Sapphire 7950 comes with CrossFireX bridge interconnect, a DVI-to-VGA adapter, a pair of 4-pin molex to 6-pin PCIe power adapters, a mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter, a mini-DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, a HDMI cable.

sapphire-7950-bundle.jpg

Sapphire 7950's Accessories

Image was copied from www.legitreviews.com

Visit Sapphire 7950 OC for more information.

The Samsung monitor have DisplayPort, DVI-D (dual-link) and HDMI I/O Port.

6040230594_0181d9db3b.jpg

Samsung's I/O Port

The image below is the accessories bundled together with the monitor.

6039681711_6cc7ef1a03.jpg

Samsung's Accessories

Picture stolen from Leopard's blog

Do I need to get anymore accessories? :pt1cable:

:fou:
On an unrelated topic, if the CrossFireX bridge interconnect is bent, will it affect anything if I decide to CrossFire in the future?
The CrossFireX bridge interconnect is already bent when I bought the gpu... Maybe I can claim a new CrossFireX bridge from the seller...

If the Crossfire bridge was rigid and bent, that probably means you need a new one to use crossfire (especially if you can see gaps in the electrical traces caused by the bend). However, I think I've seen SLI and Crossfire bridges with a flexible part between them, and I can't tell for sure from your picture whether yours is flexible.

To get 120hz 3d from the monitor at full resolution, you'll need a dual-link DVI cable. DisplayPort has enough bandwidth, but the online monitor manual doesn't give any indication that it supports 120hz 3d over displayport. Also note the mini displayport to dvi adapter that came with your video card doesn't appear to have an active converter, so it probably limits the dvi to single link, and won't be usable for 120hz 3d.

newb88

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012

Could a dual-link DVI-D cable connect to my Sapphire Radeon 7950's dual-link DVI-I?

Yeah, no problem there. You can look at the pictoral comparison of DVI connector types in Wikipedia. Having extra pins or a wider blade will prevent you from connecting the cable properly, but fewer pins and/or a narrower blade will still be attachable.