Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Downgrading from windows 8, can no longer boot from CD or to windows 8

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2012 11:11:37 AM

Hi there. I recently got a laptop for christmas and it came installed with windows 8. After trying it out and trying to get it to work for me, I decided I would enjoy the laptop more if it had windows 7 on it instead of windows 8. What I did was put the windows 7 disc in, turn off the computer, then rebooted to the bootmenu. I saw that I did not have a CD drive option there, so I pressed escape to continue with the boot. To my surprise, it booted to the windows 7 CD. I ran through the installation but it gave me an error about my recovery partition being missing or corrupt. I've had this problem before with computers, and the way that always fixed it was to clear out all of the partitions, create a new partition with the win7 disc, then run it again. That is what I did, but it did not work. I decided to restart the computer, and a popup said before I exited the installation that nothing I did would save. I restarted the computer, and here I am. When it boots up, it says "checking media..." and then it fails there, then it tries the two network boots, which also fail. I cannot boot to the hard drive or the windows 7 CD from the boot menu, as the only two options are the network boots.

The only ways I have thought about fixing it is to open the laptop (which voids the extended warranty my parents got) and putting in all the files I need by hardwiring the laptop harddrive to the desktop, or to come here and ask for help.

I have both a windows 7 and a Ubuntu 12.04 disk I can use to put an operating system on it, but I can only do that if I can boot from CD.

Best solution

a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 11:33:43 AM

dude... that is the purpose of warranty being exist

go to the service center and tell everything... you already had a list of problems that should be fixed
December 26, 2012 11:52:40 AM

Could you please elaborate? I don't think this would be covered by warranty.
m
l
!