Control All Aspects of Your Home Wirelessly

Status
Not open for further replies.

resonance451

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Stuff like that's been around a good while, but it's not going to be part of the average household until the prices drop low enough to be that accessible. Which I don't see happening until about a decade from now.

I'm assuming this is similar to the concepts displayed in Tweeter?

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I agree that it won't happen for another decade, but parts of it likely will. Computers are getting cheaper all the time. Copper wiring, is not. Still, I would imagine that this has a way of saving money for people. Imagine if the windows on your house were automatic. You have anti-burglar sensors, along with rain and temp sensors. The system could open the windows and shut off the AC automatically if the temp drops while you're at work, saving you on energy costs. Likewise, wouldn't it be great to turn off things like your electric water heater (or the gas pilot light) while you go on a weekend trip by changing a setting on a universal remote or a laptop program? If they can get good software and market these to save the consumer money long term while also being not too costly to install, while ALSO being upgradeable then this will catch on a lot faster. It has to be able to do a lot, be easier to use, and be easily integrated into existing homes. I love the idea of sending encrypted codes through a homes existing internal energy grid (via the fusebox most likely). As long as it's secure even if someone taps into it from the outside (it would suck to have someone open your front door by cutting the lock on the electric box out by the road), then this could work splendidly. We need standards for home automation. That's all there is to it. Safe, secure, and integrated into every day products. I've been spouting the idea of a central bank of electronic components for awhile. Why should I have to buy a timer chip for my toaster, microwave, washing machine, dishwasher, refridgerator, etc when I could have just one in a central box that controls them all? It isn't like the technology isn't available yet, it's just that nobody's done it yet and mass marketed it. I see Microsoft as trying to get us there, but they're doing it pretty slowly and it isn't their main focus.

skiwith

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
X10 and now Insteon from Smarthome have been around for years. I'd love and in depth about the pro's and cons. At this point its about $40 per light to automate... Times 40 lights in a house.. without the controllers and remotes.

I've had it with universal remotes, training the suckers over and over. Createing scenes and adding lights to zones. I seem to only use all off and all on at this point.

Someone will win this if they make it easier and more reliable.

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.