Laptop screen just garbled while stuck on repair utility for Win 7. Blue screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

sach_the_stampede

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Hello,

I got home today and found that my laptop - Sony Vaio FE-80 (equiv)

My Specs are:

Cpu: core 2 Duo 7200: 2Ghz
Ram: 4gb ddr2 667mhz
Hdd: 5400rpm 320gb
Gpu: Nvidia Go 7600

I've always left my computer on-- had it since 2007. I've also done a few mods, like added different OSs for multi-booting and made partitions etc. Nothing out of the ordinary. Never overclocked any component. I'd say in the past week, I've been getting random messages saying windows (7 ultimate) is trying to repair because there was some error. So it was stuck on the repair utility before boot (8 bit colours or something). Today, I got home from work, and found a similar message.. however, the difference was that the screen was garbled a little. As though some sort of Electro magnetic activity occurred around my computer. Meaning, my graphic pixels are heavily displaced and it seems like a bad virus infection. Tried to reboot after numerous failed repair attempts, only to get into the blue screen of Death- all the while still stuck on the garbled screen. I have not yet tried to plug it into my external monitor, as even when I boot up the laptop, the start up logos etc, are all displaced. Even when entering system and Bios setup.

Help or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sach

G

Well, I'd try the external monitor because if the issue goes away then you know it's likely to be the laptop screen.

However, the blue screen suggests otherwise.

I think I would try and do the basics -- if there are two memory sticks, take one out and see if you can boot. If not replace it and remove the other, try again.

Try to get into the BIOS screens and see if the hard drive is listed.

sach_the_stampede

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Well, I'd try the external monitor because if the issue goes away then you know it's likely to be the laptop screen.

However, the blue screen suggests otherwise.

I think I would try and do the basics -- if there are two memory sticks, take one out and see if you can boot. If not replace it and remove the other, try again.

Try to get into the BIOS screens and see if the hard drive is listed.

Yeah, I think my only option now is the external monitor. About to check it and then will return with the feedback.
As for the ram, I did try swapping out, as well as having only one stick in either of the slots. Tried accessing the BIOS- all's a-ok, except for that darn screen! Also swapped out my hdd, with my mac osx boot on it. Still garbled screen.

Do you reckon a BIOS type virus could have latched itself on? Or maybe more prone to GPU failure?

sach_the_stampede

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Ok, so tested the laptop with the external monitor. Still the same problem, it gets up to a BSOD and then reboots. Garbled screen all the way. I think I'm becoming more convinced that this could be a MBR or BIOS error, if not directly related to my GPU.

Is there a way that I can flash my BIOS on the VAIO FE-80 (92hs japanese version)? Or perhaps a way I can repair my MBR? Like a utility that I can burn onto and boot with a CD or something? Many thanks for the time taken to reply

G

Some BIOS updates come designed for use on a DOS-type floppy disk which might help. But Sony are pretty useless at support I gather -- so I'm not optimistic for you.
See what's on offer on their site.

Status
Not open for further replies.