Sign in with
Your question

Use Windows 7 Recovery Media from External HD

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2012 12:34:56 PM

Hi all, I'm trying to move my operating system from the preinstalled HD to a SSD I just installed in my laptop. I know that it is typically recommended to do this using the recovery media on DVD or USB but I don't have an optical drive or a large enough USB (if I can't get anything to work I'll just have to go buy one). I also am hesitant to use Acronis to clone the OS to the SSD as I've heard that there are problems with using an OS that was originally installed on an HD with an SSD.

For these reasons I'm trying to use the recovery media from an external HD. Using lenovo's built in media creator I wrote to an external hard drive (there was an option for usb hard disk drive and everything) without any trouble. Then I modified the boot order so that it would boot from USB HDD first. However, when I try to actually boot from the HDD I get the error "PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" and I can't boot or install the OS. I know that the problem isn't with the cable because I can write to the drive and see its contents.

Is there anyway to use this hard drive recovery media? Do I need to make the partition "active" or "boot" using disk management? Any help would be appreciated, I've been trying to get this to work for two days.
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 12:39:58 PM

You essentially created a recovery disk on your external. You might want to go into the BIOS of your computer and make sure that USB can be seen outside Windows on your particular motherboard. If you have the "old" HDD still plugged in while you are trying to install onto the SSD it may be confusing itself because it shows two recovery media options instead of just the external.
m
l
December 26, 2012 1:00:34 PM

I uninstalled the old HDD before trying to boot from the external hard drive. How do I check that the USB can be seen? My BIOS says that USB UEFI BIOS Support is enabled and USB Port is enabled (under I/O Port Access). Is that what you meant?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 27, 2012 3:29:35 AM

computerbuyer0000 said:
I uninstalled the old HDD before trying to boot from the external hard drive. How do I check that the USB can be seen? My BIOS says that USB UEFI BIOS Support is enabled and USB Port is enabled (under I/O Port Access). Is that what you meant?

Yes. Also make sure that the drive is plugged into one of the rear usb ports and not a front port as these are typically usb hubs.
m
l
Related resources
!