Dell computer configuraion question

I'm looking at getting a bottom line computer for basic office work. I have
the choice of 4 processors that are about the same price:

Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.40GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
$45]

Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.60GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract $9]

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.66GHz, 533 FSB)

Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB) [add $18 or
$1/month1]

would there be a significant peoformance upgrade anywhere?

begin 666 spacer.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end
4 answers Last reply
More about dell computer configuraion question

    "Basic office work" means different things to different people. If all you
    intend to do with the computer is to create simple documents and send email,
    the lowest priced processor you listed will be more than adequate.

    If I may inject an unsolicited opinion here: People often find themselves
    using their computer in ways they hadn't originally planned. A 'bottom of
    the line' computer can sometimes be a poor investment.
    --
    Ted Zieglar
    formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"

    "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at getting a bottom line computer for basic office work. I
    have
    > the choice of 4 processors that are about the same price:
    >

    > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.40GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
    > $45]
    >

    > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.60GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
    $9]

    > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.66GHz, 533 FSB)
    >

    > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB) [add $18
    or
    > $1/month1]
    >

    > would there be a significant peoformance upgrade anywhere?

    I would agree with Rocky. Also the P4s are significantly
    faster than the Celerons and I would suggest you would be
    best served in the long run with the 2.8GHz one if you'd
    like to keep this machine for the long term.

    "Ted Zieglar aka "Rocky"" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    > "Basic office work" means different things to different people. If all
    you
    > intend to do with the computer is to create simple documents and send
    email,
    > the lowest priced processor you listed will be more than adequate.
    >
    > If I may inject an unsolicited opinion here: People often find
    themselves
    > using their computer in ways they hadn't originally planned. A 'bottom
    of
    > the line' computer can sometimes be a poor investment.
    > --
    > Ted Zieglar
    > formerly "Rocket J. Squirrel"
    >

    > "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > > I'm looking at getting a bottom line computer for basic office work.
    > have
    > > the choice of 4 processors that are about the same price:
    > >

    > > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.40GHz, 400 FSB)
    [subtract
    > > $45]
    > >

    > > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.60GHz, 400 FSB)
    [subtract
    > $9]
    > >

    > > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.66GHz, 533 FSB)
    > >

    > > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB)
    [add $18
    > or
    > > $1/month1]
    > >

    > > would there be a significant peoformance upgrade anywhere?

    Take either P4. Skip the Celeron.

    "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at getting a bottom line computer for basic office work. I
    have
    > the choice of 4 processors that are about the same price:
    >

    > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.40GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
    > $45]
    >

    > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.60GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
    $9]

    > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.66GHz, 533 FSB)
    >

    > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB) [add $18
    or
    > $1/month1]
    >

    > would there be a significant peoformance upgrade anywhere?

    The $63.00 you would save by going on the low end would not be worth loosing
    the benefits of the 2.8.

    Go with the P4 2.8. It will be $63.00 extra well spent.

    Also be sure you get the 7200RPM hard drive instead of the 5400RPM drive as
    well!!!!

    --
    JLA ENTERPRISES TECHNOLOGIES INTEGRATION
    Technical Support Team

    Check out some of the items we are offering
    Dell Docking Stations starting at $5.00
    Dell 21" Flat Screen Monitors starting at $40.00
    Dell Latitude and Inspiron CD Rom and Floppy Drives starting at $5.00

    Be sure to visit http://www.jlaenterprises.com

    "Matthew" <Unknown> wrote in message
    > I'm looking at getting a bottom line computer for basic office work. I
    have
    > the choice of 4 processors that are about the same price:
    >

    > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.40GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
    > $45]
    >

    > Intel® Celeron® Processor (2.60GHz, 400 FSB) [subtract
    $9]

    > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.66GHz, 533 FSB)
    >

    > Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor (2.80GHz, 533 FSB) [add $18
    or
    > $1/month1]
    >

    > would there be a significant peoformance upgrade anywhere?

Dell Computer Processors Computers Product