2 wireless routers

I have 2 Win 98 computers that i want to network together
using wireless devices. I have 2 mn-700 base stations
(routers) and both computers have ethernet cards
installed, is there a way to network these computers
together wirelessly using the second router instead of an
wireless adapter?

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless routers

    These instructions will tell you how to connect two Mn-700's together.
    I have posted it several times last month though so I think you should
    have done a search first.

    One of the two following hardware configurations will allow you to
    expand your Microsoft Broadband Network.

    The first one is connected via wires & the second one is connected via
    wireless.

    Wired connection configuration information.

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #2 --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1 LAN port #3 --> WAN port of MN-500 or
    MN-700 #3 (if available)

    Wireless connection configuration information.

    (For this configuration you can only use WEP & MAC filtering, for
    wireless security, because the MN-740 doesn't support WPA.)

    Broadband modem --> WAN port of MN-500 or MN-700 #1
    MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #2
    MN-740 --> WAN port of MN-500, or MN-700 #3 (if available)

    You will have to configure each MN-740 on an Xbox to connect to the
    wireless network you want the second & third router to connect to.

    General configuration information for both network connection types.

    Make sure all MN-100's & MN-500's are running the latest firmware which
    is 1.11.017

    Make sure all MN-700's are running the latest firmware which is 2.01.02.0590

    Make sure all MN-740's are running the latest firmware which is 1.00.02.0021

    Now let’s look at the setup of each MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700:

    MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700 #1
    Router mode
    LAN IP address at default of 192.168.2.1
    Some SSID (if wireless)
    Some WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 6 (if wireless)

    MN-500 or MN-700 #2
    Bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.42, outside of default DHCP range
    Same SSID
    Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 1

    MN-500 or MN-700 #3 (if available)
    Bridge mode
    LAN IP address at 192.168.2.43, outside of default DHCP range
    Same SSID
    Same WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network supports WPA)
    Channel 11

    If you keep the SSID and WEP key or WPA key (If the entire network
    supports WPA) the same for all base stations, people will be able to
    move between locations and get a connection, without needing to change
    there configuration as they move.

    If you are using WEP on some but WPA on other wireless routers you will
    have to reconfigure the wireless settings as you switch between wireless
    networks.

    You need to select non-overlapping channels for the base stations to
    prevent interference.

    Non-overlapping channels have at least 5 channels between them as 1, 6,
    & 11 do.

    Channels 1, 6, & 11 are the three non-overlapping channels.

    There are more combinations if you only need two channels.

    One last note 2.4 & many 5.8 GHz phones (The models that use the 2.4 GHz
    frequency as well as the 5.8 GHZ frequency) will cause interference with
    802.11b & 802.11g wireless networking hardware, as 802.11b & 802.11g
    both use the 2.4 GHz frequency.

    Jim wrote:
    > I have 2 Win 98 computers that i want to network together
    > using wireless devices. I have 2 mn-700 base stations
    > (routers) and both computers have ethernet cards
    > installed, is there a way to network these computers
    > together wirelessly using the second router instead of an
    > wireless adapter?
    >
    > Thanks

    assistance.

    time.

    I tried what you said-computer #1 ( router and modem )
    looks ok. computer #2 i connected to a lan port to the
    ethernet card on my #2 computer-it show that I am not
    connected to the Wan and the Lan shows the m700 access
    point. why cant i connect to computer #1. sorry i am new
    at this. thanks

    If you read my directions you will notice that the MN-700 needs to
    either have a wired connection or a wireless network bridge to connect
    to the other router. Those are your only options with the Microsoft
    hardware.

    assistance.

    time.

Routers Wireless Router Computers Networking