Is there any way to download a zone install separately?

Last response: in Video Games
March 15, 2005 11:01:01 PM

This would be useful.
2nd day, 5th hour.
I keep getting ISP has obsolete version messages or zone install fails or
zproxy fails.
I've deleted everything including heartbeat, confirmed with Your Uninstaller
2004 and Registry Mechanic.
Using the address from NibblesNBits I've downloaded setup and zone.zat.
Sometimes I've been able to install ActiveX controls.
I've gotten to the page with the 10 meg full download, but it won't let me
download because of the usual error messages.
At the moment I can't even log in anymore. The login interacts
(downloads/uploads occur), then returns me to the login page.

As an alternative, is there a tool that would obliterate all the mentions of
the Zone so that I can start from scratch, and maybe the Zone software would
try to install?

Very frustrating.
Win XP Home, SP 2, P4
Anonymous
March 16, 2005 7:51:35 PM

Anton Philidor wrote:

> This would be useful.
> 2nd day, 5th hour.
> I keep getting ISP has obsolete version messages or zone install fails or
> zproxy fails.
> I've deleted everything including heartbeat, confirmed with Your Uninstaller
> 2004 and Registry Mechanic.
> Using the address from NibblesNBits I've downloaded setup and zone.zat.
> Sometimes I've been able to install ActiveX controls.
> I've gotten to the page with the 10 meg full download, but it won't let me
> download because of the usual error messages.
> At the moment I can't even log in anymore. The login interacts
> (downloads/uploads occur), then returns me to the login page.
>
> As an alternative, is there a tool that would obliterate all the mentions of
> the Zone so that I can start from scratch, and maybe the Zone software would
> try to install?
>
> Very frustrating.
> Win XP Home, SP 2, P4

Have you tried this link?

http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Yes.
That's the one that gives me the ZoneSession_AccountName is Undefined error
every time I try it.
It does have down_Zsetup.asp according to the error msg, but I can't get at
it, and that's not the ftp url I've been able to use for a few downloads.

Hope there's a way around this.

"Elmo" wrote:

> Anton Philidor wrote:
> >
> > This would be useful.
> > 2nd day, 5th hour.
> > I keep getting ISP has obsolete version messages or zone install fails or
> > zproxy fails.
> > I've deleted everything including heartbeat, confirmed with Your Uninstaller
> > 2004 and Registry Mechanic.
> > Using the address from NibblesNBits I've downloaded setup and zone.zat.
> > Sometimes I've been able to install ActiveX controls.
> > I've gotten to the page with the 10 meg full download, but it won't let me
> > download because of the usual error messages.
> > At the moment I can't even log in anymore. The login interacts
> > (downloads/uploads occur), then returns me to the login page.
> >
> > As an alternative, is there a tool that would obliterate all the mentions of
> > the Zone so that I can start from scratch, and maybe the Zone software would
> > try to install?
> >
> > Very frustrating.
> > Win XP Home, SP 2, P4
>
> Have you tried this link?
>
> http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

March 17, 2005 3:18:29 AM

Anton Philidor wrote:

> Yes.
> That's the one that gives me the ZoneSession_AccountName is Undefined error
> every time I try it.
> It does have down_Zsetup.asp according to the error msg, but I can't get at
> it, and that's not the ftp url I've been able to use for a few downloads.
>
> Hope there's a way around this.
>
> "Elmo" wrote:
>
> > Anton Philidor wrote:
> > >
> > > This would be useful.
> > > 2nd day, 5th hour.
> > > I keep getting ISP has obsolete version messages or zone install fails or
> > > zproxy fails.
> > > I've deleted everything including heartbeat, confirmed with Your Uninstaller
> > > 2004 and Registry Mechanic.
> > > Using the address from NibblesNBits I've downloaded setup and zone.zat.
> > > Sometimes I've been able to install ActiveX controls.
> > > I've gotten to the page with the 10 meg full download, but it won't let me
> > > download because of the usual error messages.
> > > At the moment I can't even log in anymore. The login interacts
> > > (downloads/uploads occur), then returns me to the login page.
> > >
> > > As an alternative, is there a tool that would obliterate all the mentions of
> > > the Zone so that I can start from scratch, and maybe the Zone software would
> > > try to install?
> > >
> > > Very frustrating.
> > > Win XP Home, SP 2, P4
> >
> > Have you tried this link?
> >
> > http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp

Are you logged onto Passport when you get this error message? It
appears, from the error message, that you might need to be. Are you
allowing the Zone and Passport cookies?

Try this NibblesNbits site for Logon help:
http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/ZonePassport.html

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 7:37:02 AM

This morning starting from the MSN-Entertainment-Games link on the home page
I was able to log in automatically. Made my way to the
Bridge-Play-with-Others page, installed the ActiveX control, clicked on a
room and got an ISP has obsolete files error message.
I do not have a listing for MSN Gaming Zone in my Programs list.
This has happened before.

Clicking on your link, I came to the 10 MB download page mentioned
previously, and got an incomplete install ZSetup failed error message. I
took a screen capture, if that's useful.
This, too, has happened before.

At least, for whatever reason, the auto login is working again.
This kind of downloading doesn't want to work.

"Elmo" wrote:

> Anton Philidor wrote:
> >
> > Yes.
> > That's the one that gives me the ZoneSession_AccountName is Undefined error
> > every time I try it.
> > It does have down_Zsetup.asp according to the error msg, but I can't get at
> > it, and that's not the ftp url I've been able to use for a few downloads.
> >
> > Hope there's a way around this.

> > > Have you tried this link?
> > >
> > > http://classic.zone.msn.com/down_zsetup.asp
>
> Are you logged onto Passport when you get this error message? It
> appears, from the error message, that you might need to be. Are you
> allowing the Zone and Passport cookies?
>
> Try this NibblesNbits site for Logon help:
> http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/ZonePassport.html
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:36:35 AM

Anton Philidor wrote:

> This morning starting from the MSN-Entertainment-Games link on the home page
> I was able to log in automatically. Made my way to the
> Bridge-Play-with-Others page, installed the ActiveX control, clicked on a
> room and got an ISP has obsolete files error message.
> I do not have a listing for MSN Gaming Zone in my Programs list.
> This has happened before.
>
> Clicking on your link, I came to the 10 MB download page mentioned
> previously, and got an incomplete install ZSetup failed error message. I
> took a screen capture, if that's useful.
> This, too, has happened before.
>
> At least, for whatever reason, the auto login is working again.
> This kind of downloading doesn't want to work.
>
> "Elmo" wrote:
>
> > Anton Philidor wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes.
> > > That's the one that gives me the ZoneSession_AccountName is Undefined error
> > > every time I try it.
> > > It does have down_Zsetup.asp according to the error msg, but I can't get at
> > > it, and that's not the ftp url I've been able to use for a few downloads.
> > >
> > > Hope there's a way around this.

> > Are you logged onto Passport when you get this error message? It
> > appears, from the error message, that you might need to be. Are you
> > allowing the Zone and Passport cookies?
> >
> > Try this NibblesNbits site for Logon help:
> > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/ZonePassport.html

If your browser, or ISP is caching old copies of Zone files, you'll
continue getting old copies till the dated files are cleared from the
cache.

http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 11:36:36 AM

I use HistoryKill to clear the cache completely each time I close the browser.
If my ISP has old files, what could I do about that until they get around to
changing them, unless there's a separate Zone download.

The one way around I could think of was using the ftp download link
mentioned in NibblesNBits. I downloaded zone.zat, which an error message
said it needed. (Came as zone.za_; I added the t.) I put it in the msn
gaming zone folder in Program Files, not in the temp or windows subfolders.
Still get the error message. Should I put it somewhere else?

Is my only solution downloading each file one at a time and placing it myself?

Sure seems having a separate install download would save trouble.

Thanks for all your time, by the way.

"Elmo" wrote:

> Anton Philidor wrote:
> >
> > This morning starting from the MSN-Entertainment-Games link on the home page
> > I was able to log in automatically. Made my way to the
> > Bridge-Play-with-Others page, installed the ActiveX control, clicked on a
> > room and got an ISP has obsolete files error message.
> > I do not have a listing for MSN Gaming Zone in my Programs list.
> > This has happened before.
> >
> > Clicking on your link, I came to the 10 MB download page mentioned
> > previously, and got an incomplete install ZSetup failed error message. I
> > took a screen capture, if that's useful.
> > This, too, has happened before.
> >
> > At least, for whatever reason, the auto login is working again.
> > This kind of downloading doesn't want to work.

> > > Are you logged onto Passport when you get this error message? It
> > > appears, from the error message, that you might need to be. Are you
> > > allowing the Zone and Passport cookies?
> > >
> > > Try this NibblesNbits site for Logon help:
> > > http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/ZonePassport.html
>
> If your browser, or ISP is caching old copies of Zone files, you'll
> continue getting old copies till the dated files are cleared from the
> cache.
>
> http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
>
> --
> +Elmo_Tech
> MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Anonymous
March 17, 2005 6:43:45 PM

Anton Philidor wrote:

> I use HistoryKill to clear the cache completely each time I close the browser.
> If my ISP has old files, what could I do about that until they get around to
> changing them, unless there's a separate Zone download.
>
> The one way around I could think of was using the ftp download link
> mentioned in NibblesNBits. I downloaded zone.zat, which an error message
> said it needed. (Came as zone.za_; I added the t.) I put it in the msn
> gaming zone folder in Program Files, not in the temp or windows subfolders.
> Still get the error message. Should I put it somewhere else?
>
> Is my only solution downloading each file one at a time and placing it myself?
>
> Sure seems having a separate install download would save trouble.
>
> Thanks for all your time, by the way.
>
> "Elmo" wrote:
>
> > Anton Philidor wrote:
> > >
> > > This morning starting from the MSN-Entertainment-Games link on the home page
> > > I was able to log in automatically. Made my way to the
> > > Bridge-Play-with-Others page, installed the ActiveX control, clicked on a
> > > room and got an ISP has obsolete files error message.
> > > I do not have a listing for MSN Gaming Zone in my Programs list.
> > > This has happened before.
> > >
> > > Clicking on your link, I came to the 10 MB download page mentioned
> > > previously, and got an incomplete install ZSetup failed error message. I
> > > took a screen capture, if that's useful.
> > > This, too, has happened before.
> > >
> > > At least, for whatever reason, the auto login is working again.
> > > This kind of downloading doesn't want to work.

> > If your browser, or ISP is caching old copies of Zone files, you'll
> > continue getting old copies till the dated files are cleared from the
> > cache.
> >
> > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd

Zone.za_ is the compressed version of Zone.zat. In most cases, just
changing the extension won't work. Basically, you need to download
Zone.zat, and all the files in the Zsetup folder, place them in the
proper folder.

Here's what I usually send out on cached files:

Your isp -may- need to purge the outdated Zone files from their cache.
BUT, before blaming your isp, here are some things you can try.

The problem could be a corrupted download of the zone.zat file. It
could also be that you have your browser set wrong, you have a web
accelerator program running, or your isp caches files. Here are some
possible fixes:

Clear Cache
http://is.asu.edu/instruction/training/clearcache.html
-----

W2k and WXP can have trouble with the paths to the Zone software. Since
the newly downloaded files are stored to the wrong folder, or otherwise
lost, they're not replacing the old file. A solution might be to
reinstall the Zone to a different location; see this article on changing
the path to the Zone.. Actually, it removes the path, and you have to
change the path when prompted:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/9...
-----

Here's how you get the updated files:

Paste http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/ in your location bar then add
the name of the file you can't "update" to the end. Download the file,
place it in the Zone's \Temp folder, then reenter the Zone. It will be
installed. (You can save the decompressed version of the file if you
prefer.)

An example would be http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zone.za_ or
http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/zone.zat

The underscore might be removed from the file as it's saved to disk. If
so, edit the filename to add the _.

Some browsers/news readers mistakenly show the download as text. It
looks like gibberish at the bottom of the post or browser. If this
happens, you should be able to click File, Save Attachment (or File,
Open Attachment, File Save As) and save them to the correct folder. This
depends on the browser and whether you were emailed the attachment or
you clicked a link to it. Some browsers will only let you save it as
..txt or HTML. If so, you can change the name to "zone.za_" with the
quotes (example filename) then the file will save without the extension.
-----

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/4...
-----

- Try the direct connect file download from this URL :
http://www.zone.com/down_zsetup.asp

- Open a DOS window, type "nbtstat -R" (no quotes) (notice the capital
R), press Enter, close ALL open windows and try again.
-----

If these didn't work, and it seems your isp must be caching files, you
can:

- Request they clear the Zone files from the cache one time

- Request they exclude the addresses given below from their cache:

The cached files are on the internet either at your ISP or their
backbone service. They probably have excluded *.zone.com from the cache
but the files come from an MSN server which they have not excluded.

If they exclude http://fdl.msn.com/zone/DataFiles* from the cache this
problem can be avoided as we update files weekly.

Send them the following:

If You Are an Internet Service Provider
If you are an Internet service provider (ISP) and you want to reduce the
occurrence of this behavior, perform the following tasks:

Configure the proxy server to perform more update checks.

Configure the proxy server to perform more pre-fetching.

Reduce the Time to Live (TTL) setting for objects in the proxy server's
cache.

Filter the cache, so that objects originating from the following address
are not cached:

http://fdl.msn.com/zone

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
March 17, 2005 8:25:03 PM

I retried all those steps. Even downloaded zone.zat again. Left it at
zone.za_. 2 kb file both times. Put them in msn gaming zone, and nothing.
usual zproxy failed or zone.zat missing or isp has obsolete files stuff.
Tried it all with my IE Accelerator program turned off.

Sounds like once this program stops working, it's over. Might be something
permanently in the registry somewhere. Now I see why another questioner
ended up reinstalling Windows to try to get the zone back.

The only other thing I can think to do is to go to another computer, get it
on the zone and copy the msn gaming zone folder.
Would that do any good?

Is there any way that the united voices of a lot of people would get an
install.exe file for the zone available as a simple download through the
Microsoft site? Seems like that would solve endless problems.

"Anton Philidor" wrote:

> I use HistoryKill to clear the cache completely each time I close the browser.
> If my ISP has old files, what could I do about that until they get around to
> changing them, unless there's a separate Zone download.
>
> The one way around I could think of was using the ftp download link
> mentioned in NibblesNBits. I downloaded zone.zat, which an error message
> said it needed. (Came as zone.za_; I added the t.) I put it in the msn
> gaming zone folder in Program Files, not in the temp or windows subfolders.
> Still get the error message. Should I put it somewhere else?
>
> Is my only solution downloading each file one at a time and placing it myself?
>
> Sure seems having a separate install download would save trouble.
>
> Thanks for all your time, by the way.
>
> "Elmo" wrote:
>
> > Anton Philidor wrote:
> > >
> > > This morning starting from the MSN-Entertainment-Games link on the home page
> > > I was able to log in automatically. Made my way to the
> > > Bridge-Play-with-Others page, installed the ActiveX control, clicked on a
> > > room and got an ISP has obsolete files error message.
> > > I do not have a listing for MSN Gaming Zone in my Programs list.
> > > This has happened before.
> > >
> > > Clicking on your link, I came to the 10 MB download page mentioned
> > > previously, and got an incomplete install ZSetup failed error message. I
> > > took a screen capture, if that's useful.
> > > This, too, has happened before.
> > >
> > > At least, for whatever reason, the auto login is working again.
> > > This kind of downloading doesn't want to work.

> > If your browser, or ISP is caching old copies of Zone files, you'll
> > continue getting old copies till the dated files are cleared from the
> > cache.
> >
> > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
> >
> > --
> > +Elmo_Tech
> > MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 3:36:26 AM

Anton Philidor wrote:

> I retried all those steps. Even downloaded zone.zat again. Left it at
> zone.za_. 2 kb file both times. Put them in msn gaming zone, and nothing.
> usual zproxy failed or zone.zat missing or isp has obsolete files stuff.
> Tried it all with my IE Accelerator program turned off.

IE Accelerator is a cache program that writes all documents to your hd.
You might empty its cache if there's such an option within its settings.

> Sounds like once this program stops working, it's over. Might be something
> permanently in the registry somewhere. Now I see why another questioner
> ended up reinstalling Windows to try to get the zone back.
>
> The only other thing I can think to do is to go to another computer, get it
> on the zone and copy the msn gaming zone folder.
> Would that do any good?

Not if the Zone isn't registered right.

> Is there any way that the united voices of a lot of people would get an
> install.exe file for the zone available as a simple download through the
> Microsoft site? Seems like that would solve endless problems.

They had such a file and changed over to this a few years ago. It never
made sense to me that a person with problems couldn't just force the
install despite Jscript, ActiveX, and registry problems.

Here's something else to try:

JScript repair
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q236846/

ZIntro.cab34246.cab
http://zone.msn.com/en/support/article/support3206.htm

Failed to write settings to the Registry
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=257653

Cannot Complete MSN Sign-up or Connect to SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web
Sites XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=813444#8

Install Troubleshooter
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/Support...

--
+Elmo_Tech
Anonymous

I will be trying your suggestions later today.
But for now, I've been thinking.
On a successful zone install, a complete install file has to be downloaded,
probably to a temp file, and check itself to make sure it's complete before
beginning the install process. If that flow of files could be caught and
copied, we'd have an install package.
I don't have the ability to do that kind of intercepting, but it seems that
could work, theoretically.
That sound like a good idea to you?

"Anton Philidor" wrote:

> I retried all those steps. Even downloaded zone.zat again. Left it at
> zone.za_. 2 kb file both times. Put them in msn gaming zone, and nothing.
> usual zproxy failed or zone.zat missing or isp has obsolete files stuff.
> Tried it all with my IE Accelerator program turned off.
>
> Sounds like once this program stops working, it's over. Might be something
> permanently in the registry somewhere. Now I see why another questioner
> ended up reinstalling Windows to try to get the zone back.
>
> The only other thing I can think to do is to go to another computer, get it
> on the zone and copy the msn gaming zone folder.
> Would that do any good?
>
> Is there any way that the united voices of a lot of people would get an
> install.exe file for the zone available as a simple download through the
> Microsoft site? Seems like that would solve endless problems.
>
> "Anton Philidor" wrote:
>
> > I use HistoryKill to clear the cache completely each time I close the browser.
> > If my ISP has old files, what could I do about that until they get around to
> > changing them, unless there's a separate Zone download.
> >
> > The one way around I could think of was using the ftp download link
> > mentioned in NibblesNBits. I downloaded zone.zat, which an error message
> > said it needed. (Came as zone.za_; I added the t.) I put it in the msn
> > gaming zone folder in Program Files, not in the temp or windows subfolders.
> > Still get the error message. Should I put it somewhere else?
> >
> > Is my only solution downloading each file one at a time and placing it myself?
> >
> > Sure seems having a separate install download would save trouble.
> >
> > Thanks for all your time, by the way.

> > > If your browser, or ISP is caching old copies of Zone files, you'll
> > > continue getting old copies till the dated files are cleared from the
> > > cache.
> > >
> > > http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/EnterRooms.html#ftd
> > >
> > > --
> > > +Elmo_Tech
> > > MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support

Anonymous
March 18, 2005 5:17:30 PM

Anton Philidor wrote:

> I will be trying your suggestions later today.
> But for now, I've been thinking.
> On a successful zone install, a complete install file has to be downloaded,
> probably to a temp file, and check itself to make sure it's complete before
> beginning the install process. If that flow of files could be caught and
> copied, we'd have an install package.
> I don't have the ability to do that kind of intercepting, but it seems that
> could work, theoretically.
> That sound like a good idea to you?
>
> "Anton Philidor" wrote:
>
> > I retried all those steps. Even downloaded zone.zat again. Left it at
> > zone.za_. 2 kb file both times. Put them in msn gaming zone, and nothing.
> > usual zproxy failed or zone.zat missing or isp has obsolete files stuff.
> > Tried it all with my IE Accelerator program turned off.
> >
> > Sounds like once this program stops working, it's over. Might be something
> > permanently in the registry somewhere. Now I see why another questioner
> > ended up reinstalling Windows to try to get the zone back.
> >
> > The only other thing I can think to do is to go to another computer, get it
> > on the zone and copy the msn gaming zone folder.
> > Would that do any good?
> >
> > Is there any way that the united voices of a lot of people would get an
> > install.exe file for the zone available as a simple download through the
> > Microsoft site? Seems like that would solve endless problems.
> >
> > "Anton Philidor" wrote:
> >
> > > I use HistoryKill to clear the cache completely each time I close the browser.
> > > If my ISP has old files, what could I do about that until they get around to
> > > changing them, unless there's a separate Zone download.
> > >
> > > The one way around I could think of was using the ftp download link
> > > mentioned in NibblesNBits. I downloaded zone.zat, which an error message
> > > said it needed. (Came as zone.za_; I added the t.) I put it in the msn
> > > gaming zone folder in Program Files, not in the temp or windows subfolders.
> > > Still get the error message. Should I put it somewhere else?
> > >
> > > Is my only solution downloading each file one at a time and placing it myself?
> > >
> > > Sure seems having a separate install download would save trouble.
> > >
> > > Thanks for all your time, by the way.

Right after an attempt to download the install, you could do an advanced
search for files created within the last day. One of them, stored in
the TIF folder, is probably the file. It may have a .js extension, but
I'm not sure.

--
+Elmo_Tech
MSN® Gaming Zone™ - Technical Support
Anonymous
March 18, 2005 9:17:07 PM

If I remember correctly, there's a sequence of downloads and installs without
further authorization. If the installs clean up after themselves then
waiting until the process has concluded wouldn't gain me anything. That's
why I was thinking the copy would have to be associated with the download.
I want to do this right the first time, because I have access to only one
computer without the zone, and apparently the zone software can be downloaded
only once.
Have you seen a successful download recently?

!