Q. re. External floppy on Dimension 8300

Hi,

I have a Dimension 8300, with no floppy drive. This is ok - I can't remember
the last time I used a floppy on my old machine.

However, a thought struck me. I also have a Latitude portable, which has a
floppy drive which can be connected to the parallel port. So, if I set my
Dimension's parallel port to be EPP would the Latitude's external floppy
drive work through it? Is this sort of thing a standard feature of EPP or
does the Latitude have a special BIOS to make it happen? I don't have any
special drivers loaded on the Latitude to make it recognise the floppy on
the parallel port - it just does.

Just a strange idea. I don't really need a floppy drive, but the thought
that it might (once in a blue moon) be useful crossed my mind, and plugging
the one I have into the parallel port might be a way of doing it.

John
2 answers Last reply
More about external floppy dimension 8300

    My best guess is that the Dell Latitude can boot from the floppy, then its BIOS
    has been modified to work with a parallel port-connected floppy. This is
    definitely not your usual floppy connection. The BackPack series of devices
    (floppies, CD-ROM, etc.) used the parallel port way back when, and provided
    special drivers for the task. You might search around the web for XP (you are
    running XP, right?) drivers for a generic parallel port floppy and give them a
    try.

    You can look for a USB floppy drive which would work on both... Ben Myers

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:49:02 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a Dimension 8300, with no floppy drive. This is ok - I can't remember
    >the last time I used a floppy on my old machine.
    >
    >However, a thought struck me. I also have a Latitude portable, which has a
    >floppy drive which can be connected to the parallel port. So, if I set my
    >Dimension's parallel port to be EPP would the Latitude's external floppy
    >drive work through it? Is this sort of thing a standard feature of EPP or
    >does the Latitude have a special BIOS to make it happen? I don't have any
    >special drivers loaded on the Latitude to make it recognise the floppy on
    >the parallel port - it just does.
    >
    >Just a strange idea. I don't really need a floppy drive, but the thought
    >that it might (once in a blue moon) be useful crossed my mind, and plugging
    >the one I have into the parallel port might be a way of doing it.
    >
    >John

    ....or spend $10 and buy a used ATAPI floppy.

    Dave

    > My best guess is that the Dell Latitude can boot from the floppy, then its
    BIOS
    > has been modified to work with a parallel port-connected floppy. This is
    > definitely not your usual floppy connection. The BackPack series of
    devices
    > (floppies, CD-ROM, etc.) used the parallel port way back when, and
    provided
    > special drivers for the task. You might search around the web for XP (you
    are
    > running XP, right?) drivers for a generic parallel port floppy and give
    them a
    > try.
    >
    > You can look for a USB floppy drive which would work on both... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:49:02 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have a Dimension 8300, with no floppy drive. This is ok - I can't
    remember
    > >the last time I used a floppy on my old machine.
    > >
    > >However, a thought struck me. I also have a Latitude portable, which has
    > >floppy drive which can be connected to the parallel port. So, if I set my
    > >Dimension's parallel port to be EPP would the Latitude's external floppy
    > >drive work through it? Is this sort of thing a standard feature of EPP or
    > >does the Latitude have a special BIOS to make it happen? I don't have any
    > >special drivers loaded on the Latitude to make it recognise the floppy on
    > >the parallel port - it just does.
    > >
    > >Just a strange idea. I don't really need a floppy drive, but the thought
    > >that it might (once in a blue moon) be useful crossed my mind, and
    plugging
    > >the one I have into the parallel port might be a way of doing it.
    > >
    > >John

Dell Latitude Floppy Disk Parallel Port Dimension Computers