Q. re. External floppy on Dimension 8300

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 23, 2004 2:49:02 AM

Hi,

I have a Dimension 8300, with no floppy drive. This is ok - I can't remember
the last time I used a floppy on my old machine.

However, a thought struck me. I also have a Latitude portable, which has a
floppy drive which can be connected to the parallel port. So, if I set my
Dimension's parallel port to be EPP would the Latitude's external floppy
drive work through it? Is this sort of thing a standard feature of EPP or
does the Latitude have a special BIOS to make it happen? I don't have any
special drivers loaded on the Latitude to make it recognise the floppy on
the parallel port - it just does.

Just a strange idea. I don't really need a floppy drive, but the thought
that it might (once in a blue moon) be useful crossed my mind, and plugging
the one I have into the parallel port might be a way of doing it.

John
Anonymous
July 23, 2004 4:03:16 AM

My best guess is that the Dell Latitude can boot from the floppy, then its BIOS
has been modified to work with a parallel port-connected floppy. This is
definitely not your usual floppy connection. The BackPack series of devices
(floppies, CD-ROM, etc.) used the parallel port way back when, and provided
special drivers for the task. You might search around the web for XP (you are
running XP, right?) drivers for a generic parallel port floppy and give them a
try.

You can look for a USB floppy drive which would work on both... Ben Myers

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:49:02 GMT, "John Fryatt" <jrf1@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a Dimension 8300, with no floppy drive. This is ok - I can't remember
>the last time I used a floppy on my old machine.
>
>However, a thought struck me. I also have a Latitude portable, which has a
>floppy drive which can be connected to the parallel port. So, if I set my
>Dimension's parallel port to be EPP would the Latitude's external floppy
>drive work through it? Is this sort of thing a standard feature of EPP or
>does the Latitude have a special BIOS to make it happen? I don't have any
>special drivers loaded on the Latitude to make it recognise the floppy on
>the parallel port - it just does.
>
>Just a strange idea. I don't really need a floppy drive, but the thought
>that it might (once in a blue moon) be useful crossed my mind, and plugging
>the one I have into the parallel port might be a way of doing it.
>
>John

Anonymous
July 26, 2004 12:07:44 AM

....or spend $10 and buy a used ATAPI floppy.

Dave

!