Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Intel Launches New Eco-Friendly Xeon Processors

Last response: in News comments
September 8, 2008 9:41:57 PM

Holy crap. Is that the work of the new gate tech or are these extreme binned?
September 8, 2008 10:03:07 PM

Wow, L5430 is at least 50% faster than Phenom 9150E 65W and still use less power. Too bad I don't want to pay triple.
Related resources
Anonymous
September 9, 2008 1:58:00 AM

nice... so the table is turned... now we have cpus that use less power than a lamp but we have gpus as hungry as a toaster or if you put multiple gpus you have a complete vacuum cleaner (sound included) lol
so, the psus ultimatly will continue as high as they are...
September 9, 2008 2:53:29 AM

Well, it's a good step towards less power hungry systems, let's hope ati and nvidia get the hint soon.

Also, I'd like to know what is "halfnium", is it like half a hafnium atom??
September 9, 2008 7:28:32 AM

"power-efficiency as low as 12.5 W per core"

makes the icing on the cake...

hint: try "power-usage" or "high", eventually
September 9, 2008 10:21:01 AM

Quote:
50 Watt

Well, including the memory controller this should be just over 65Watt -- AMD would therefore call that very same CPU a 89Watt CPU.

But hey, using a different naming scheme Intel's IT is much greener ;-)

Quote:
Well, it's a good step towards less power hungry systems, let's hope ati and nvidia get the hint soon.

1 Teraflop/160Watt, I think ATI already got the hint.

Quote:
Wow, L5430 is at least 50% faster than Phenom 9150E

Where did you get that number from? In Server Benchmarks AMD usually looks much better than in gaming. 50% faster sounds like SuperPI ;) 

September 10, 2008 5:42:05 AM

Quote:
hint: try "power-usage" or "high", eventually

Thanks for pointing that out. :)  Minor oversight on my part.

Quote:
Well, including the memory controller this should be just over 65Watt -- AMD would therefore call that very same CPU a 89Watt CPU.

It should be interesting to see how AMD and Intel compare when Intel releases processors with integrated memory controllers. AMD announced recently new energy efficient X3 Phenoms that are clocked slower than these chips and have a 65W TDP I believe, although they are much cheaper. :) 
September 10, 2008 7:32:07 AM

Yawn, more greenwashing. If you want more energy efficiency, turn off the computer - or better yet don't upgrade every 6 months.
September 10, 2008 11:20:17 PM

jawshoeawYawn, more greenwashing. If you want more energy efficiency, turn off the computer - or better yet don't upgrade every 6 months.

Exactly. But I Xeons are targeted towards servers, most of which are on 24/7/365, so "just turning it off" wouldn't be an option.
!