Sign in with
Your question

Disabled services & now can't reenable

Last response: in Windows 7
December 26, 2012 2:45:19 PM

Last night my Asus G75VW (running windows 7 home premium) laptop started freezing, requiring a hard reset. At first I thought it was only Firefox, so I tried several other browsers, the Steam application, and a game, and the computer froze within a few minutes of opening each, requiring a hard reset every time. I did a system restore which did not fix the issue, I ran both a malware and virus scan, and did a chkdsk which revealed 2 bad clusters in the firefox profile folder, called something like cookies1 & cookies2. The hard drive is only about a month old, the original one died & Best Buy replaced it under the manufacturer's warranty (the whole laptop is 6 months old).

I saw the advice somewhere that it may be a startup program and I should disable everything in the startup & services tabs in msconfig, which turned out to be a mistake. Nothing will work anymore, I have no networking/internet, I can't do a system restore to fix it, the desktop has reverted to the classic windows theme. I tried to reenable all services, but most of them have disappeared from the list. I opened services.msc but it won't allow me to start anything on there either. It either does not give the option to start/stop, or when I can click start, it says something along the lines of dependency missing.

Is there any way to get services reenabled without doing a reformat/reinstall? I do not have system recovery disks so I would have to send it away again. Also, any idea what the original problem might be, the freezing several minutes after booting?
a b $ Windows 7
December 26, 2012 3:03:08 PM

Hi :) 

Run a hard drive test in DOS...HIRENS CD etc, it sounds like a failing hard drive...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
Related resources
!