IIIc won't Hotsynch

Tags:
January 12, 2005 7:22:09 PM

I can't figure out why my Palm won't HotSync - never had a problem with it
before. I'm running Windows XP on a Thinkpad X20. Error message: the
connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be
established. It's running on Com1 and nothing else is.

Please somebody, tell me what to do.

More about : iiic hotsynch

January 13, 2005 8:03:13 AM

Test everything.
Be sure you exit Hotsync first...
Open Hyperterminal, setup for a Flow Control "none" on com1
configuration, short pins 2 and 3 of the serial port together and see
if you get data loopback. (type stuff on the keyboard, you should see
what you type).
Next, with Hyperterminal still set up, attach the Palm cradle. Open
the Prefs and then open Communications. Configure for "Direct
Serial". Then open "Network" and select any of the configs...
"Aimnet" will do. Tap "Connect" and see that a line of "trash" pops
into Hyperterminal. If these things work, then there's something
wrong with the Hotsync configuration. Exit Hyperterminal and restart
Hotsync. Check that "Local" is selected and under Setup, on the
"Local" tab, check that the serial port and "speed" are set to the
same as the Palm AND check the Laptop's configuration for Com ports,
com1 is also set to the same speed Hotsync is using.
Open Hotsync on the Palm and see that "Local" is "darked" and that the
pull-down under the Hotsync button (center screen) is set to "Direct
Serial".
Try the Palm again using the button on the cradle.
If the serial port tests fail, test the Palm on another pc and test
the laptop's serial port using a "null modem" cable to another
machine.
Good luck!
Anonymous
January 13, 2005 5:53:53 PM

You're kidding, right? Short pins 1 and 2, geez louize. But I got a hint
anyway and checked the speed settings for the port and HotSync setup and
that was the problem.
January 13, 2005 8:23:35 PM

Windwatcher (sphinx@doubt.com) wrote:
: I can't figure out why my Palm won't HotSync - never had a problem with it
: before. I'm running Windows XP on a Thinkpad X20. Error message: the
: connection between your handheld computer and the desktop could not be
: established. It's running on Com1 and nothing else is.

: Please somebody, tell me what to do.

I'm having the same problem with my IIIxe, although occasionally it does
cause the Hotsync application to start on my PC but then hangs afterwards.
My IIIxe went haywire while I was on a trip, requiring a hard reset.
After getting home, I found that I could not restore the data I had backed
up with Hotsync before going on the trip. I suspect a hardware problem on
the Palm and ordered a replacement (~$50).

Albert
January 14, 2005 10:02:20 AM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:53:53 -0800, "Windwatcher" <sphinx@doubt.com>
wrote:

>You're kidding, right? Short pins 1 and 2, geez louize. But I got a hint
>anyway and checked the speed settings for the port and HotSync setup and
>that was the problem.

No, pins 2 and 3.
Pins 2 and 3 are the transmit and receive pins of the serial port.
You can do the same thing with a $20 Loopback adaptor.
Glad you found the problem!
!