Where's all this "refurbed" stuff coming from?

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I usually check NewEgg every week and half so I can weep over the money I wasted building this rig last year. Amazingly enough I find that there's a LOT of "refurbished" stuff (mobo, chips, graphics cards) being sold on there. Is this a new thing or were there so many RMA's on this junk they have to find a way to get some cash back? Would you buy a refurbished MoBo, CPU or GPU?

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Although I have never bought any refurb items myself, I know a few people that have. I have found that the markdown isn't really worth the refurb title on most of the items. And then it makes me nervous when I see one that is marked at a really good margin because I know that Newegg doesn't usually discount these to the extreme. I find myself thinking something must have really been wrong with this one. But I have had people tell me good things about it, just don't think the price justifies it (for the most part).

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

RichPLS

Champion
Been doing that for many years. Markdown is not usually enough to get my business.
They get these from RMA's, tested and either repaired or problem did not really exist in first place.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
Do you find that every once in a while there is a really huge markdown on something. That always makes me nervous about buying it. Most of the time the markdown doesn't justify it though... from what I have found.

<b><font color=red>Go date P4man or something, bye!</font color=red><b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you read these forums? "I built a new computer and it wouldn't turn on, so I returned the motherboard. But the one I got back didn't work either..." all because they put something together wrong. I got great news: Everything that gets returned to me gets retested. And if there's no problem, the customer gets a $30 bench fee and NO EXCHANGE.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I bought a refurbed monitor. A 19" HP CRT for $60 at uBid. and it's been going strong for 4 years

<b><font color=orange>Beauty is only skin deep, ugly goes to the bone.<font color=orange></b>

RichPLS

Champion
3rd hand? or 5-finger?

So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

RichPLS

Champion
LMAO!
We need you more than ever. Steal these green links off this site. Sell em to whoever, Anandtech or something...

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
On a more serious note, I've only bought a 'refub' item once, though it technically wasn't a refurb. It was the demo model. That monitor lasted me for many years, and let me tell you, picking up a 17" high quality monitor in '95 for that cheap ... it was definately well worth it.

Now a days though I either buy brand spanking new because I want the warranty, or I get stuff dirt cheap (or free) from old parts auctions at work.

Like I just picked up an old parallel-port Logitech QuickCam for free from our IT department's discards box. It doesn't have modern drivers (like Win2K/XP), but because it's parallel, there's software that can run it anyway. :O Now if I can just manage to win one of the network-capable 486 laptops in today's auction I just might try to set up a fishy-cam to watch my 35 gallon hexagonal goldfish tank.

It's the simple things. :)

Which reminds me ... I should look on eBay for a really cheap 20gig MP3 player that I can hook into my short-range FM transmitter (replacing the batteries on that with a 3V AC adapter) to run an in-home radio station. :) That'd be fun.

:evil: یί∫υєг ρђœŋίχ :evil:
<font color=red><i>The Devil himself is good, when he is pleased.</i></font color=red>
@ 195K of 200K!